Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm trying to get jack stands to change my shifter to a short shifter. I see jacks for a wide range of prices.

Are there any good known names for jack stands or will any do?
Does anyone have any experiences with certain jack stands??

Can anyone recommend reasonably priced jack stands?

Thanks !

·
Registered
597 Posts
I use $10 dollar jack and two big pieces of wood.... craftsman will obviously be better quality than random brand but in reality all stands are pretty similar and buy a jack based on lift height and weight capasity.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
Jackstands are jackstands. Short of buying some ridiculously expensive ones, they're all basically the same. My guess is they're all just re-branded from the same manufacturer.

Some go higher than others, but that's really about it.

I'd suggest getting one of the combo deals where you get a jack + jackstands.

·
Registered
815 Posts
craftsman. i got my jack and 2 jackstands on sale for 25 bucks :) completely satisfied.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
I remember reading about a super-low-profile jack, ran about $100 and was less than 2" off the ground... anyone know about this? I've recently searched again and tried to find it, to no avail aside from other brands that were different.

I really need a jack of my own now that I can't mooch off my dad's tools... being 1300 miles away complicates things :p.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i went to look and the brand is actually torin. i only used it for like 6 months.. the thing started leaking so now it doesnt go that high anymore. i know fore sure it was less then 100.. actually HERE is the link. that one doesnt say if it comes with jack stands but i did when i got it in store

·
Registered
706 Posts
I got a low pro set from Kragen for $25 (jack and 2 jack stands) from PowerBuilt. It was on clearance though. Its still holding good. Now I'm using the 2.5 ton low pro from Craftsman. They all seem they same to me.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
ishbog on Sep/28/07 said:
I remember reading about a super-low-profile jack, ran about $100 and was less than 2" off the ground... anyone know about this? I've recently searched again and tried to find it, to no avail aside from other brands that were different.

I really need a jack of my own now that I can't mooch off my dad's tools... being 1300 miles away complicates things :p.
I have this jack you speak of. There are two versions...one steel and one aluminum. Mine is steel and weighs roughly 60lbs. It is just over 2" tall fully retracted and lift higher than any jack I've ever owned. I can't remember the exact brand name but I found it at Costco. IT was $90 or so. The aluminum one is only like 30lbs and ten bucks more. I love it.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Sep/28/07 said:
Jackstands are jackstands. Short of buying some ridiculously expensive ones, they're all basically the same. My guess is they're all just re-branded from the same manufacturer.

Some go higher than others, but that's really about it.

I'd suggest getting one of the combo deals where you get a jack + jackstands.
x2 Just don't get the Kobalt combo at lowes. The stands are fine, but the jack is junk. Mine lasted for less than a year before the small cylinder blew out and spewed oil all over the garage floor.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
ramps are fine, if you have a stock car. there's no way my car would drive on ramps with my WWtypeII front lip and 1 3/4" drop...and trying to get up on 4 ramps?? nope...jackstands are a wise investment

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
rayzah_blade on Sep/28/07 said:
ramps are fine, if you have a stock car. there's no way my car would drive on ramps with my WWtypeII front lip and 1 3/4" drop...and trying to get up on 4 ramps?? nope...jackstands are a wise investment
Ramps are fine, until you need to take a wheel off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.