Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
if you change the water pump you also must change your timing belt to match, since the number of teeth is different between the two.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
the cam gears have the same number of teeth regardless. the difference between the vtec and non-vtec is the teeth on the h20 pump. if you get a vtec h2o pump, you need a vtec timing belt. if not, you need a non-vtec timing belt.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
i just called up an acura dealer and the guy was really cool and told me that i should get an ITR water pump becauses the bore is bigger and the price is exact same. he also said it would fit and i should do it. what do you think and would it actully work and make a difference?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Yes it will fit. Everywhere I have researched for swap and upgrades says "swap a vtec h2o pump in". Why?? I cannot nail it down 100%, but my theory is that the Non-vtec ones have less teeth. this would result in a faster impeller speed. while below 6000 rpms that would not be an issue, revving high could cause Cavitation in the coolant, effectively eliminating coolant flow. the slower impeller speed of the VTEC pumps would fix that problem, at the cost of lower flow at the lower RPM range.

I strongly suspect you can go with the timing belt made for you model. the reason is twofold.
#1 the difference in the number of teeth on the pump would be compensated by the belt tensioner pulley. I think this difference would be marginal, since a Larger gear on the VTEC pump would mean the tensioner had to let slack out, but you shouldnt be running out of belt.

#2 there is a difference in the centerline of the cams in a VTEC engine, illustrated in the Head-differences article.

The belt has to be basically two time the difference longer to fit correctly. That far outstripps the difference between a tooth or two on the pump gear.

Get the ITR pump. internal flow quality should be better, it costs the same, and coolant flow is normally limited by the thermostat. a slower impeller won't make your car overheat.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
note- will do a side by side when I purchase one. the B17a pumps are identical to the B18a pumps.

·
Registered
903 Posts
if your going to do the ITR water pump mise well do an ITR oil pump to.

but im not to sure on the belt new to hondas :)

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
So Nick, did you ever go through with getting a ITR water pump? If so, did you get the LS or ITR timg belt?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ill tell you guys a little secret. ITR water pump, same as gsr.

ITR oil pump same as gsr. Even the CRV uses the ITR oil pump.

Here is a pic of what all uses the ITR oil pump.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Damn I'm at 70k miles right now and am not looking forward to the water pump and timing belt maintenance. I think I will go with the ITR water pump/belt because I plan on doing an ls/vtec conversion (with new rods/pistons etc) and will probably be reving higher than 6.8k. Thanks for clearing up the differences for the most part Terry. That makes perfect sence since the gsr and itr would be reving a lot higher than the ls, so they would want to slow the coolant flow down.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
rgbpmp on Sep/19/04 said:
Ill tell you guys a little secret. ITR water pump, same as gsr.

ITR oil pump same as gsr. Even the CRV uses the ITR oil pump.

Here is a pic of what all uses the ITR oil pump.

Funny that you post this, I just made a thread titled " 1996+ LS/GSR/ITR Oil pumps are the same". I've read through all of the vtec/itr/gsr oil pump posts and none of them told me that from 1996+ all integras have the same oil pump.

Btw, can I ask you where you got the honda/acura software catelog from?

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I found an interesting comment from MD in this thread about putting a ITR water pump in a LS.

MichaelDelaney on Jun/19/03 said:
no. whoever told you that there is better cooling is pulling things out of the air or out of their ass. as long as you replace with a new pump, it's all about timing belt fitment which is not a small issue. In fact the ITR water pump is actually less efficient compared to the LS...the one time where it doesn't pay to go to an ITR part.

correct. the vtec pump only has the advantage of using the kevlar belts. If you plan to use big cams like Jun3's or Toda B's/C's then that would guide your decision moreso than cooling ability. If you were really interested in better cooling then you would upgrade your radiator (Fluidyne) and thermostat (Mugen or Spoon) instead.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
i'm going to replace my tbelt and waterpump, and would like to get ready for turbo.

so bring this up, why would they put a less efficient pump on a highly efficient b18c motor when b18c should require better cooling then b18b...?

vtec tbelt has kevlar belts... but come on, i'm sure they don't have to lower the pump efficiency in order to upgrade the belt... that's just stupid.

wouldn't the bigger propeller offset the "less effectiveness" of the LS pump?
wouldn't the slightly slower flow actually help to absorb and transfer more heat away?
would larger propeller @ higher RPM better than smaller propeller @ high RPM?

i couldn't find the "flow rate" of both pump, but i think if both waterpump provide the same CFM, their cooling capability should be the same... ?

any more info on this?

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
codenamezero on Mar/13/07 said:
so bring this up, why would they put a less efficient pump on a highly efficient b18c motor when b18c should require better cooling then b18b...?
Because, when you spin an LS pump too fast (think revs) it creates cavitation in the water (little bubbles). The water stops flowing when this happens. The motor overheats.

Less efficient pump at lower RPMS doesnt create cavitation at high rpms - > thus the need for a GSR pump/ITR pump on a VTEC motor.

If your redline is not changing, then it would be better for you to stick with the LS pump.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts