Team Integra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
nutbuster123 on Mar/03/11 said:
Im hoping the lack of comments represents that I'm going about this the right way and not because I'm doing something so stupid that takes everyone's breath away
I don't think it's stupid, but I think it takes a big brass pair to boost an ITR, in Germany, and put budget constraints on the project. I think finding a tuner, accustomed to working on such a project, successfully, may be the first step. The ITR engine is a thing of beauty, and if booster right, it can be even better. However, a bad tune, combined with stock internals, could be a devastating combination. I'd say, in addition to your turbo budget, have additional funds, in case you have to replace your engine. I know many people have learned the hard way to build it right the first time.

Don't forget their will be little things, like a catch can, and welding an oil return on the pan. Since you're going to have the head off, the clutch out, and probably the oil pan off, I think I'd consider the extra time and money of adding forged pistons, if not rods and pistons.

I wish you much much success with this project, I will be looking in, and if it goes really well, I think I'll boost my GSR too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey Steve. Any chance that stock ITR exhaust is in good condition and up for sale? I have been in the market for one for a while now and would be ecstatic if you could send it my way!

·
Registered
437 Posts
u will find plenty of boosted stock b18c and integras get really hot under the hood without proper cooling system mods. before you try and invent a new way to cool look at the air flow under hood charts. GL

·
Registered
144 Posts
GSRintegra98 on Mar/04/11 said:
Hey Steve. Any chance that stock ITR exhaust is in good condition and up for sale? I have been in the market for one for a while now and would be ecstatic if you could send it my way!
Then again I just realized you are in Germany...could be expensive shipping but keep me posted! Good luck with the boost!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Do you really need a thicker HG?

I would only use honda oem.. just put a new one in before you boost..
From what Im gathering it is really not necessary but it seems to be a "highly recommended" step by alot of experienced folks against detonation so I'm inclined to go with it.
It is an extra $200 in the budget and a 3 maybe 4 hrs job but if it will save me alot of headache in the long run then I think it will be worth it.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
you dont need a thicker headgasket, its just a bandaid to the real problem at hand.

A bad tuner.

Any competent tuner should be able to tune a stock ITR on pump gas safely. I have buddies with stock engine S2000's at 11.5:1 compression making 400hp on 93 octane.

Find a good tuner.

·
Registered
437 Posts
looks like things are starting to come together. Even if you cant locally get injectors checked ship them. after your build is done and some of the little problems that come up it will be nice to know the injectors open and close at correct voltages. i have 1000's and some of my problems after the build. (which turned out to be learning to tune issues) if i had used injectors i would of always wondered if they were working properly. You should also figure out your wg spring. I would want a 7lb to start with because your not goin past 17psi. and chances are u will be below 10lb.(i think it is kinda a fail safe to start with a lower spring With a high comp. engine doesnt take much boost for big power. Enjoying following your build
What fuel are u planning on using?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for the input man. Will definately make sure to get injectors checked. The seller claimed the WG spring is a 8 lb one. Is there a way to confirm this, like markings on the spring?

I'm definately not going for huge amount of boost since I want quick spool for the occasional road racing and planning on the 95 octane pump gas only.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
You should DEFFINITELY do something about that dumptube on the wastegate. I would recommend plumbing it into the downpipe, but at least lengthen it so it dumps under the car and not right near the radiator and where the turbo can suck of the exhaust that comes out of it.

...and here's some inspiration for the whole project:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You should DEFFINITELY do something about that dumptube on the wastegate. I would recommend plumbing it into the downpipe, but at least lengthen it so it dumps under the car and not right near the radiator and where the turbo can suck of the exhaust that comes out of it.

...and here's some inspiration for the whole project:
YouTube - Jingle All the Way in 5 Seconds
Thanks man. I've put that on my list to check and do when I'm ready to do my build. I like the idea to plum it to the downpipe but need to research more about it. Btw thank for the turbo time clip that was hilarious!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
nice looking build man. Just a thought about the question of boosting a high compression typeR, you could always run some water/meth injection for some extra reliability.
I've thought of the water/meth injection too but I think I scratched it because I wanted to see if I can do the build for 5K or under (if thats even possible).

·
Registered
13 Posts
just got done doing the turbo on my JDM type R motor. Only mod was headstuds.. I was told not to even use the thicker head gasket. I think it was because you will just be replacing the loss of compression with more boost. Its all about tuning properly for high compression. I made 281whp at 8 psi on a small precision 5027E. I could have made more but I am very safe right now where it is tuned.. done with S300.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts