Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm planning on swaping my rear sway bar on a gsr to itr one, and I just need to know if I should use anything else beside mounting kit, so i don't damage my sub frame. Thanx in advance for the help.
Jesse

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
What kit are you using?

If its the BSQ you should be fine. What type of bushings did you get? If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend picking up some polyurethane bushings.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
if you asked brett who makes and sells the bsq kits, he would tell you that the stock type r rubber ones are better than the polyurathane ones. they're just as hard, strong, and durable and they're not going to squeak as much as the polyurathane ones do.

i have the itr rear sway bar with a bsq mounting kit and i have had no problems with it whatsoever. it dramatically changed the handling for the better. (i have a gs)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the help, and I'm going to use BSQ kit. About
bushings I still did not decide wether to use stock ones or polyurethane.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I agree with dragontegz. Polyurethane bushings used in this application squeak too much - go with ITR ones. Your stock end links and the rubber bushings that go in the end of the bar will work, but the ITR ones are stiffer. I would go ITR on these as well. This is what I did.
I used the brackets from a Comptech kit to mount the bar, and I had to use some spacers (slightly modified from Comptech kit - about 1/2") at the end link to lower control arm connection to get the endlinks totally vertical when at rest. I then used some longer bolts to make sure I still had the proper thread engagement into the control arm.
I used Acura 90172-SK7-003 bolts. These are used to connect the trailing arm to the upper control arm and are about 1/2" longer than the stock end link to lower control arm bolts, but otherwise identical. Make note of the geometry before you remove the stock bar and make sure you maintain this geometry.
If you search using "BSQ kit" you'll find a bunch more info.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Also you can make your own BSQ kit at a local hardware store for less than 5 bucks

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you order your sway bar from A&H be forwarned I ordered my bar Aug 6, it is now Sept 3 and still no bar!!!!! They told me they are still waiting for the bar to come in. I'm thinking of cancelling my order... Hmmm maybe not. I want my bar!!!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
A&H sent me my bar within a week. They're probably backordered, I wouldn't blame them for American Honda's incompetance in shipping things.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
kelly on Sep/03/02 said:
I agree with dragontegz. Polyurethane bushings used in this application squeak too much - go with ITR ones. Your stock end links and the rubber bushings that go in the end of the bar will work, but the ITR ones are stiffer. I would go ITR on these as well. This is what I did.
guys, rubber is rubber. While the rubber used in the itr bushings may in fact be harder and stiffer than stock bushings in the non-R's......its still rubber and in no way will be close to the stiffness of a polyurethane bushing.

If you lube the bushings properly beforehand and regularly afterwards you're not going to have a problem w/ the squeeking.

The polyurethane bushings are relatively equal in price to a set of rubber ones, so price isn't an issue. The squeeking can be eliminated if you lube the bushings as instructed to, so that isn't an issue. But what does concern me is that by using rubber bushings you'll lose out on the added responsiveness of the poly-U bushings.

If you want a "set it and forget it" type of setup than by all means go w/ the rubber ones. But you want a no holds barred, balls to wall handling upgrade then why stop short at the bushings?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Blue Teg,

I don't find the relatively small (to me) gain that the polyurethane provides over the ITR rubber worth the constant maintenance. I have tried many methods to keep poly sway bar bushings from squeaking, and they always do. The choice depends on the individual's priorities. I just wanted to make sure that both the pros and cons of poly bushings were mentioned. Also, not all polyurethane bushings squeak; it depends on the application.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Kelly,
Small gain indeed. But some people want to extract every last bit of performance from a specific mod. What have you done to keep your bushings from squeaking? Mine were lubed w/ the supplied grease and don't squeak. What grease are you using?

I tried to emphasize that the polyU bushings were not the only option for bushings. If you look at my last post where I say:
"If you want a "set it and forget it" type of setup than by all means go w/ the rubber ones. But you want a no holds barred, balls to wall handling upgrade then why stop short at the bushings?"
That was in reference to the owner realizing where their priorities were. In terms of the pros and cons of rubber vs. polyU........I think we've both adaquately covered both.
PolyU-more responsive, slightly better handling at the expense of taking time to lube them properly ever so often. Rubber-less responsive, but you avoid the hassle of lubing them, no squeaking.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
BlueTeg,
In you first post you didn't mention the cons of polyurethane bushings. This was cleared up in your later post, and I am in total agreement with you.

If you use the proper grease and lube the bushings regularly, they shouldn't squeak. If you don't lube them regularly, they will squeak. Most bushings don't come with grease fittings and in order to lube them you have to disassemble them. I'm not sure if greasable bushings are available for most applications today. I tried bushings with floating plastic inserts and the teflon tape trick. I then modified my bushings for use with a grease fitting which required finding the proper silicone grease to fit the grease gun. This didn't work. Maybe things are different today, and if they are enlighten me. I just got fed up and went back to rubber.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx to everyone for the replays and help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts