Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted some information stating that the ITR intake springs were lighter than the GS-R ones due to the ITR's lighter valves. I thought this was correct, but I could be wrong. Larry of Endyn says the ITR intake springs are indeed stiffer. I do not know where I posted this info., so I am posting this.

Can anyone else verify that the ITR intake springs are stiffer? I have seen some confusion, or perhaps lack of clarification, from Larry on certain topics before.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I was under the same impression you were: that the GSR valve springs were stiffer b/c of a heavier valve in the GSR.

I'd like to know the facts as well.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
did he give you a spintron on it or coil bind/seat pressure differences?

if not, the person to get those from is Tom Fujita at Portflow who has the spintron numbers on most of the springs out there in the market. I have Crower's Eibach and standard series spintron numbers direct from Brian.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No numbers, he just said they were stiffer.

I have not been very impressed with him. If I ask for the numbers, I doubt he will give them even if he knows. He seems to be arrogant and would take this as an attack and probably start talking about his qualifications rather than the issue, which is what he did when I questioned him about the PCV system. I have seen him say different things at different times and when confronted, he will not answer. This is why I don't trust him, and why I will not question him any further.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I asked for numbers and which ones were stiffer. I only got the standard buy ITR intakes and swap the stock intakes to exhaust. I can only assume this means the ITR's are stiffer which is not what I wanted. I was told to call if this was not enough information. I can't afford to change anything now, so I will also wait on the call.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called Tom. He is indeed very cool and unpretentious. He answered a bunch of my questions and did not rush me.

He did not have exact numbers off the top of his head. He said the ITR and GS-R springs were about the same pressure. He said the GS-R springs would be very close to coil bind with the ITR intake cam.

He suggested his inners with ITR intake outers for both intake and exhaust for use with ITR cams. This is the setup I will be using. He also said as long as the LMA's have the large pad they are fine with the ITR cams.

He also said his Ti retainers are fine for the street. I told him about the bad rap Ti retainers had and he said this was not so.

This was a general discussion; we did not go into great detail, so if anyone has more questions, I would suggest giving him a call.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
thanks again for relaying that info back here for everyone and for posterity.

we used to use the Portflow inners with ITR outers on the Toda B's but they just galled the ti retainers and wore out the rockers and seats. Both Chad and I had that experience with our B's. So I decided with the advice of Steve Leitner, the guy that built my engine up here (actually his dad did), and went with the Toda springs.

That ITR outer and Portflow inner are a pretty stiff combination.

These are Portflow Ti retainers with Toda Spec B cams using Toda springs (Not Mine). This is why I use stock retainers. :

Notice the retainer shelf is heavily galled.

here is the Toda outer spring with the Portflow retainer attached:

here's a recap of the LMA story for those of you reading this thread and don't know about the ITR LMA's.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
my DPR stainless Type C valves were mushroomed and the discreet angles on my seats were gone. They had been lapped once though. my rockers were scored badly possibly due to the combination of the Toda B's asymmetric lobe shape which really loads the rockers at the nose of the lobe and the valve float from the old valvesprings which weren't cutting it. The installed heights and rocker to retainer clearances were within spec tolerances. The worn GSR rockers were replaced with b16a rockers.

Since you're using CTR cams, it shouldn't be an issue.

the seat pressures are on Importreview.com.

Those numbers are actually Tom Fujita's spintron tests on the various valvesprings done for Jeff which he initially acknowledged but then removed the credit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts