Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
anything can be done with proper engineering and a load of money, I dont see the point in one though, you want control over shifts get a manual, you want it to be automatic then don't..........

·
Registered
535 Posts
this is just heresay, but the tiptronics are not reliable transmissions, and get rebuilt often, especially if you beat on em.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tiptronic is also a very heavy transmission.
Either learn how to drive a manual or just drive an automatic which is easier to drive, but more complicated to fix if you have a problem with it. Autos just don't take abuse well.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Okay fellas, let me enlighten you. The tiptronic shift thing is BS. That's right, you heard me, BS. The gear ratios are all still the same, they don't change. If you are wanting this to downshift, try using the stock shifter, it works. The tiptronic shift thing is all marketing BS. It makes people who bought auto's feel like they have a manual. It is still an automatic transmission and this $500 waste of money will make you slower, due to the added weight, in theory. Don't waste your money on something that isn't going to do anything for you. You can shift it yourself, you just won't have that oh so cool side slot like in the newer Acuras.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See i keep hearin all this negative stuff towards tiptronics but my buddies prelude has had none of it since he baught it.And as for the weight issue since it came with the car he obviously can't tell the difference but it does'nt seem to be affecting his ride.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
BLuE_By_YoU on Feb/07/04 said:
Well the reason i ask is cuz a buddy of mine has tiptronic on his Lude and his shifts are so fast and it sounds like a formula one car.... almost sequential

If you also go to Honda... you'll see that all the sport shift transmissions equipped on all the Prelude suck ass, and fail due to premature wear.

They were not recalled, but an extended warranty is now offered, and everyone who has had to repair them, is eligible for a full refund. This applies to all 97-01 Preludes and 00-01 Accords. The number of customers who have brought their vehicles in due to this problem is in the thousands.

Trust me, I've driven the sport shift Prelude. It's terrible. My buddy has one and side by side, just the simple fact that he cannot launch the vehicle gives him the disadvantage, but he cannot even keep close, due to gear ratios, lowered redline, etc. Both vehicles are bone stock, but there's a HUGE difference when we race, and it's because hes equipped with 2 pedals and a crap tranny.

- A former GSR, now current Prelude owner.

Quote: Hakamoto on Feb/11/04 The tiptronic transmissions on the 02-03 TL's had problems. Those were the only Acura's that had a factory recall on the transmission.

The only ACURAs. But since Acura is made by Honda, check out all the warranty extensions and recalls on torque convertors that went out on the Prelude, Accord, and Oddysey!

Quote: BLuE_By_YoU on Feb/11/04 thats what i mean if i get an H22 swap with the tiptronic tranny if it'll perform like his.Cuz everything on his ride is stock execpt for minor mods(intake,exhaust,ignition etc...)
Trust me, you don't want it to perform like his. Seriously.

The best way I can describe it... I had a 99 GSR. But before that I had an auto 95 LS. When I sold my GSR I drove for a period of about 2 months an auto sport-shift tiptronic 2000 Prelude with 30k miles on it. Piece of crap. Slower than my LS. Even when I redlined it each time. And the shifts were far from instant. Now I own a 2001 5 speed... and my buddy still has his auto. It's sad the difference between the two performance wise.

As everyone said, if you want to control the car, and have a cheaper swap, get the manual. It's cheaper, faster, and will save you problems in the end.

Your friend may not have problems yet... go to Honda and ask for the numbers though. Hell, go to Preludeonline.com. Go to fifth generation and look at how many thousands of names are on that list. That site has 50,000+ members, and there are about 2,000 and some odd hundred that have had to bring in their autos for repair. The remaining 48,000 members are either inactive, drive other year Preludes, or were smart the first time (or learned by mistake) and purchased the 5 speed.

Still want that sport shift H22? I assure you... you don't.

Meanwhile, there has been no recall on the 5 speed version.

Just another reason why in the world of everyday I4's: manual > auto.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Aside from the reliability (or lack of) for the H22 sport-shift, please don't forget, performance wise, the manual will dominate. I can't stress enough how utterly dissapointed you will be with an auto H22.

Without getting too off subject (just wanting to educate you a little). VTEC kicks in somewhere around 5200-5400 on an H22 for 5th gen Preludes (depending on year and version), when driving the auto, even if you hold the gear until 500 past redline, when you do eventually shift, you still, fall below VTEC and the RPMs drop from 7,200 or so to 5,000 just like that.

No joke, esp. if you drive it in normal auto mode and just flooring it. It will fall out of VTEC every shift. Could you imagine an ITR or a GSR if every shift it fell from 8100 to 4000 each shift? That's the equivalent we are talking here.

Go drive a 5 speed Prelude, don't even take it beyond red, just take it to red (right over 7 grand), and shift fast, I promise you'll keep the RPMs above VTEC engagement and never fall out.

You don't want this auto H22. And if you do, I hope you have a fat wallet. The chances of you having problems are great. The fact that you'll be alot slower than the manual equivalent H22 is even greater. Also note, if you are considering an H22 swap, there are multiple versions of the H22. They vary slightly, but there are differences, namely between base and SH, even differences between the 95 H22, 97 H22, and the 00+ H22. Do all the research and no what engine you're buying before you buy it. I will be more than happy to help you if you'd like.

Please think this through before considering this mod.

Preludeonline.com or just go to google and type in Honda Automatic Transmission Warranty Extension and Recalls. The numbers are all there.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Sorry, one last thing. If you're wanting to swap out, why not consider a B18C5, or at least B18C1. Easier to swap out B series for obvious reasons, and the pricing is similar, if not sometimes cheaper.

H22 does have a little more torque, but also know that it will of course require some modification rather than just dropping it in, as well as it weighs a heck of a lot more too.

I understand that you may want it just because the transmission, but do research, and you may change your mind. When there are several people on a web board that have replaced the transmission twice in under 90k miles, that is a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts