Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This hit me last night when i was reading a article in the new Honda Tuning. They were talking about how that fewer and fewer guys are using the B series motor in their honda/acura cars. That they have become a dinosour, a thing of the past, and how the K series is the dawn of a new and exciting future. In some respects i do see that the future of the new line of motors may have some potiental but truthfully the B series will for ever hold a place in my heart. They are well rounded engines with unlimited capability and have a ton of aftermarket goodies to go with them. To i just can't seem to see a new K series under the hood of my teg it would almost be insulting it. These guys don't see the excitement in them or the purpose in having them any more. They say that they are too easy to find now and that its an everyday event to see a guy with a B18C1 or a C5 or even a boosted B18B under the hood of there car. They also say that the motor has lost its appeal compared to the K series.
So that brings me to my question. what do you guys think do you think that its "over" for us guys that love and look at the B series motor as a great platform to work on an understand and build. Do you think that after this new motor series takes off that we will indeed see less and less of our beloved motors under the hoods of Integra's. All I can say is that i sure hope not. I am not saying that I am afraid of change or anything or that i hate these motors i just want to see if you guys share the same opinion with me or what you think about this whole thing at all. I just want to hear some thoughts and thought that this would be a good discussion for our teg community here.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Stryker5k on Mar/31/04 said:
Do you think that after this new motor series takes off that we will indeed see less and less of our beloved motors under the hoods of Integra's. All I can say is that i sure hope not.
wouldn't bother me. I could worry less about my car being stolen if people moved on to the K.

·
Registered
689 Posts
hey if they wanna steal the K series and swap them into cars instead of my engine, thatd be a big relief

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
B18 FOR LIFE!!

but like they said someone somewhere will prob always have a B series in a honda

·
Registered
223 Posts
stryker I feel you and I have thought about this also. like me007gold said they are the chevy small blcoks of honda. people must still want them and be using them because after production stopped Dart came out with a B block. they fit in SO many hondas and respond well to upgrades. I think the B will be around a lot longer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
"K what series?" as far as im concerned the B series engines are still the best honda engines ever and anyone who would swap a B for a K and put it into there integra is a criminal, and should be charged with treason!

·
Registered
156 Posts
K series is nice and all, but I don't think I'd want mine in my 3rd gen. Thats not to diss anyone who mihgt be thinking about doing that. I personally prefer B series over anything right now, even if all I have is a b18b1.

Also, if K series takes off as the engine to put into our Honda or Acura's (which ever you prefer to call it) maybe B series prices will drop more, and I can get C1 or C5 for cheap lol. But seriously, I don't think people swapping out to B series will be a thing of a past for awhile.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Kiyoshi on Mar/31/04 said:
maybe B series prices will drop more, and I can get C1 or C5 for cheap lol.
Yeah, when my C1 goes down the p00per, in a few years, and the price is right, I'm defintiely going to up it to a C5. I'll leave the K-series stuff to the New Generation.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Think of it this way...
How many types of "Import" engines are being built by aftermarket companies in the USA?
TWO.
Volkswagen, and Honda B-series engines.

So the fact that american companies make actual blocks and heads for these engines speak volumes of thier longevity and place in the market.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think as long are there are integra's, 4th,5th and 6th gen civic's, around there will still be a strong after market for the b series. It's not going away anytime soon. K series will come huge into the market in a few years, when used rsx's and ep3's are easier to come by for cheap.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I want a k series engine :/
Lately I've hit a wall trying to decide what I want to do with my b18b. Honestly I'm leaning towards saving up for a rsx.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i agree with all of you i know that there are to many people that love this series of engines. It was a great thing from honda.
EDIT: I own page 2

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I was talking to this guy I know who's is a mechanic at Acura bc I was looking at the RSX...he said he'd rather have my old b18 integra over a new one anyday.....and went on to say that the b18s are much more realiable and better to work on....
LoNG LIVE THE B SERIES!

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
I'm a B series fan. And when they do go out of style or hard to find, I will be in my brand new Acura ??? whatever comes out.lol

My tegs hare here to stay for now and I will enjoy them while they last. K series is just as good but different. My preference is OBD 1 Vtec =)

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
sabotage on Mar/31/04 said:
I was talking to this guy I know who's is a mechanic at Acura bc I was looking at the RSX...he said he'd rather have my old b18 integra over a new one anyday.....and went on to say that the b18s are much more realiable and better to work on....
LoNG LIVE THE B SERIES!
how can you judge reliability on an engine that is a little over two years old? you cant! talk is sh*t, can he prove it? i doubt it
anyways, i doubt that anything is going to get overthrowned or anything like that. IMO both engines will be great in the aftermarket and will go far into the future.
some of you say that you wouldnt put a K-series in your gen1-gen3. but i say i wouldn put a b-series in my gen 4 for the same reasons. the potential of these new motors are insane.
I cant wait for my K20a1 swap

·
Registered
286 Posts
They are totally differnt things. Its like trying to compare a cell phone of today with a cell phone 10 years ago, or for that matter any computer today and any computer ten years ago. Its not something that will diminish until there is no demand for them or they are halted in production. Perhaps it is a new horizon, but were talking a totally differnt planet, if you know what I mean. Technology is always advancing and who knows maybe the K series engine will be the vw beatle of the 60's- 70's : great for a while but crap in the long run. Or even mayb some M series or sum crap will come out that is even better. Lets face it, four bangers are becoming more and more powerful everyday, more companies are slappin turbos on four cylinders than are investing in developing new, better cars, such as fuel cell. Which is a totally differnt topic.
-Matt

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how can you judge reliability on an engine that is a little over two years old? you cant! talk is sh*t, can he prove it? i doubt it
anyways, i doubt that anything is going to get overthrowned or anything like that. IMO both engines will be great in the aftermarket and will go far into the future.
some of you say that you wouldnt put a K-series in your gen1-gen3. but i say i wouldn put a b-series in my gen 4 for the same reasons. the potential of these new motors are insane.
I cant wait for my K20a1 swap

[/quote]
I knew this was going to happen i am not passing judgement on the NEW RSX's I personally love that car. But i was stating in the realm of the gen1-gen3 the b series was in its prime and that the fact in honda tuning the were saying about putting the k series in to those generations. I don't like that idea but thats my opinion. However why would you take a b series and put in in a gen 4 that would be kinda pointless when the motor in the RSX is already of a larger displacement. That would be like putting a 4 cyl. in a car that came with a V6 not practical to me. So i was not attacking the rsx owners and their engines i was just saying that after the K series came out the are starting to forget the B.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts