Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth working on a B18B1 engine that has 150K on it?

i mean i love this engine...it has been very dependable, but i keep on thinking that she is going to bite the dust soon. The way i push the thing, doesnt help either...

I rev to redline almost everyday

I am just not sure, if my LS is worth spending any $$ on

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i still need to do some research, but i am thinking among the lines, of

upgrading headers, intake manifold, camshafts, maybe even run NOS, etc...

i really want to get a roll cage, and the basics regarding the appearance (rims, lights, ect...)

·
Registered
539 Posts
my gsr has 175K on it and still runs fine, only blows smoke at high rpms with hard shifts.

if you plan on use NOS, then you will probably need to rebuild at least to stock again. normal bolt ons won't do much on the LS unless you plan on turbo'in it, so i would just find a b18c and try to swap that in with some bolt ons.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
do a compression test first to see where the engine is at.

·
Registered
526 Posts
i agree that if u want to run nitrous in it then u would need a rebuild or at least a honing of the block and a compression test like hp said. can u rent a compression test device or are they cheap enough to buy? also check your timing to see if its at the stock spec. it shouldnt be advanced past 18 on an LS due to lack of knock sensor.

·
Registered
521 Posts
b18 is a solid engine. My 90 rs has 475,xxx on it and its still running fine. 150k is nothing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
not absolutely. so long as u keep things maintained and dont drag race and drift from stopsign to stopsign, the motor should last as long as the car. albeit ~half million miles is interesting buy not insane

·
Registered
834 Posts
only do lsvtec if its done by a professional and when u do ls/vtec its already not as dependable as a regular ls or GSR so dont expect it to last more than like 50k miles or so... and thats if its done by someone who knows what there doing. if u do it urself expect a lot less miles.

·
Registered
526 Posts
no if u tune it correctly and a reputable shop does the machine and assembly work, an LSVTEC should last as long as any other b motor provided the hell isnt driven out of it every day. the problems would be oil and coolant leaks due to half-assed machine work and assembly where they didnt torque the head to the block correctly and overrevving since u would be using a GSR ecu which has the cut off past 8k instead of 7k like a b1 which would break the bottom end. but outside of that nothing bad should happen unless there are extenuating circumstances like hydro-lock, overboosting, engine fire, etc., etc.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
man, there is a lot of things to look into and the possibilities are endless...

man this might take a while...

the things is , where i am, i dont trust anyone to do work on my ride... i am talking to this one guy, but i dont know...

let me do some research...
thanks guys

·
Registered
834 Posts
take it down here to www.mzmperformance.com i planned on doing ls/vtec awhile back and asked them about it and they had already done it on like 3 or 4 tegs and that was like a year and a half ago. check em out they build some of the tightest cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.