Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i got some tein h-techs for my teg and i was reading the installation manual. it said to cut the bumper stops but im a little hesitant about doing it.im just installing a 1.7" drop spring and not changing the shocks.what is the advantages/disadvantages of cutting them?
how many people have cut them?
thanks

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
they are bump stops, and im under the impression that since you are shortening the length of the coil then you need to shorten the bump stops to compensate. Not cutting them will limit the travel of the shocks and most likely give you a rougher ride. If you are using the OEM shocks they are easy to cut, simply slip them off the shock, choose your cutting implement, cut them in half, and put them back on the shock. Its very easy and if the instructions say to do it then i would listen to them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I cut mine in half and I'm probably dropped around 2-2.5 in and I hardly ever bottom out so I'm not sure what Me007gold is talking about... if your only dropped 1.7 in you should be fine, and since the instructions say to cut them you probably should.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
clickerz

and read the edits, I failed to mention some information..

~P2P

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
there is a reason the instructions tell you to. when you lower a car the bump stops need to be cut to make up the for the change in the stroke of the shock. The stroke of the shock is shorter because the spring is shorter, therefore if you keep the bumpstops at stock length then the stoke of the shock to spring length ratio is smaller than OEM. Cutting the bumpstops brings this ratio closer to OEM.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeh i still dont feel right cutting them.. but the instructions do call for it and it does make sense about how the springs will shorten the travel.
so if i do cut the bump stops does this mean my shocks will have better travel and not have as great of chance of blowing??
also does cutting them lower the car even more?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
since you're lowering far beyond what the OEM shock was designed for (range of motion changes when lowered) they'll have a greater chance of blowing no matter what. Some poeple get a few months, others a few weeks. Depends on the condition of them and how you drive and road conditions.....I would just make sure you upgrade those suckers as soon as the cash is available.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
If you don't cut them, your stock shocks will be sitting on the bumpstops (very little shaft travel when compressed over bumps). That's what happened with my H&R sports (1.75" drop). The back of my car looked too high after the install, so I checked the shock out and all I could see was the OEM bumpstop, no shaft! lol!

I didn't cut mine, I replaced them with some polyurethane stops (much shorter than OEM). Now my car is sitting where it should be and it's happy over bumps :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
cut them

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
pnthr30 on Jan/25/06 said:
Is it a good idea to just get some poly stops?
the OEM bumpstops are like a thick foam, polyurethene would def be an upgrade. But dont hold me to that caus i dont have first hand experience

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Koni tells you to cut the bottom section off of them. But that's Koni.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.