Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going to a University in Miami for the past couple weeks, and people have been eyeing my car ever since I got there. A lot of them just give me compliments, but a lot of my friends told me to be careful, even to the extent of not driving my car to school. I live about 35 miles away, so I have to keep driving it to get there. My question is what's the best way to make sure my car doesn't get jacked? I was thinking about AutoLock, because it isn't that expensive and I heard it's really good. Is there any other ways that aren't too expsensive that I can use? Anybody know how good AutoLock is? And what are some risks or anything else that I need to know? Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
well go all out with an alarm first thing then get hydros and when you park put the passenger side all the way up and the drivers front down! that way its not as easy to steal ( i've seen this on a van!!)

for real a alarm and the autolock would be good but that never stops anyone.. if they want your car that bad and they are that good they will have it!

Rich

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Are you worried about the car getting broken into, or stolen? I used to install car audio/security/and video and one thing we did alot for customers with this worry was to make it impossible to start the car without doing something first. ex. Car would only start if the headlights were turned on(relay the headlights to the ignition) and you can use other things too, like the windshield wipers, and aux switch somewhere....A good alarm will also help as long as the would-be-thief doesnt know what they are doing. All a locked door and alarm do is keep and honest man honest. Multiple sirens help sometimes too. If your alarm doesnt sound like ever other one on the market then people WILL pay attention. But regardless of what you do people will always be jelous and always want what someone else has...my best advice is a good insurence policy and a receipt or pictures for everything you have on the car.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Keep your fingers crossed and pray. Other than that there's not much to really stop a professional thief. I use the Autolock myself and it is one of the better locks out there for the simple fact of what it's attached to, the brake pedal. That is probably the toughest piece of metal on your car and nearly impossible to saw thru. Besides who would want to be bent down back to the road sawing away at a brake pedal completely blind to someone sneaking up on them with a baseball bat or worse. He he.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm actually worried about both, because I don't want anyone to break into my car because I have a lot of money invested in the interior, including brand new seats, and a complete system. I also don't want anyone to steal the car, because I have done a lot to the exterior. What I try to do is always put my Windshield sun visor on, and I have dark limo tints, so no one can see the interior. The thing when you have to turn on the headlights or the car doesn't start, is that the oNLY way to turn on the car, or can they bypass that? And how much does that usually run for? I have a very good insurance policy, full coverage and everything you can get, but how do I get them to insure my mods without having to put it on the policy and pay for it? I don't have receipts for everything, but I always take pictures of my car when I add something new, does that help at all? Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
With the headlights, all you have to do is have them on to start the car, then you can turn them off. What this does is puts a relay between the starter and the ignition. When the headlights are on it will flip the relay and alow the starter to operate, without the headlights on it will not start at all. As far as the insurence company, ask them about it. Usually what they wont cover, your homeowners insurence will.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I wouldn't relay your alarm to your headlights. Unless you intend to replace your headlights every six months or more. Starting your car with your headlights on is a sure way to blow them (power surge). Wire the alarm to your wipers or some other cheap bulb like the dome light instead.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I think alarms, in general, are weak. Professional car theifs are expecting alarms and they know how to disable them.
If I were you, I would go to a repituable mechanic and have a fuel pump kill switch installed. I'd have the switch located someplace not obvious (glove box?). Also, if you were to have this done, have a relay installed, so that you're not running tons of power through a tiny toggle switch.
If your engine's not getting any fuel, theif isn't going to go anywhere... and the engine will turn over normally (starter will still work) so the theif will probably have no idea what is happening.
Also, I would look into The Club thingy that attaches to your clutch pedal. MorningZ and or SurferX can tell you more about it (one of them has it).

·
Registered
756 Posts
if somebody wants your car bad enough, they'll find a way. remember, not much can stop a tow truck from simply hauling your car away.

personally, i got an alarm and the autolock - the autolock mainly for peace of mind. it's a lot harder to drive my car if you can't start it or change gears.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Stuff to ponder over

by 2 way GPS....if it gets stolen you can track it.

And those pager alarms are nice... when something is touched, it pages you and tells you whats going on.

Also LOWJACK is a good thing to look into.

As far as "starter Kills" go (that whole lights on to start the car thing), i would relay something to your fuel line too. SO that if you dont do that certain sequence, your fuel line is restricted (ie car doesnt have fuel, car doesnt go anywhere).

ANother good security messure is to get a key lock for you battery. Ive seen them on older BMWs. This is good for long periods of time not using your car (ie parking lots in the city).

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
A starter kill that only kills the starter circuit on a manual transmission vehicle will not keep it from being push started and will not prevent a hot wire directly to the solenoid from activating the starter. I'm just elaborating on what others have said. Also, when installing kill relays, be aware of the failure mode - if your circuit breaks or is disabled will the car be disabled or will it still run?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
go to www.jcwhitney.com. If you have an alarm already... they have a 140 dB siren add on for it. It will definately attract more attention and even dish out some pain to the thief's ear drums... then again... what happens when one of those darn rice rockets comes by with its coffee can muffler and sets off the vibration alert while you're in class?

j/k

i guess its a give and take deal... might be more of a nusence... but hey.. its damn loud and more secure in a couple ways.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This might not be the best thing to do, maybe even stupid and useless, but i always unhook my distributor, i unhook it just enough to were you cant tell it's unhooked but just enough to were current doesnt get through either. Its impossible to turn it on without hooking it back up. Im sure a professional car theif would know right away but hey, youll be lucky if he's a dumb one. Oh and if you do this make sure YOU remember to plug it back in because i forgot a couple of times and ended thinkin my battery was weak or somethin.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I keep my autolock on my Clutch pedal... it would be very hard to drive a car with out the clutch. Even if the theft could by pass the clutch switch to start the car, getting it in gear would be very difficult. or starting it with the clutch fully engaged and in gear can bring some attention to the car. If by chance this guy gets rolling with my car he'd be stuck in first gear and then he'd get pulled over for exhibition of speed since RPMs would be high haha. Ok Im not making sense.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The autolock works but in some case im pertty sure if a professional theft wants that car bad enough it will get it. I went to a insurance car auction and i saw a integra stripped Dry all that was left was the body every wire, bolts, accessory, and the rug was taken. all was left was the body and a broken unbreakable auto lock... very sad....

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
sorry... i can't resist:

"-a car which they say is un-stealable.
- yeah unless you get the laser cut transponder keys imported directly from the manufacturer in Hamburg..."

good ol gone in 60 seconds.

so i guess what i'm sayin is... anything is possible, just do your best to make it harder.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I say get the autolock. It may not stop a pro theif, but if you're lucky it won't be a pro that tries to steal your car..and then you'll be thankfull for good ol autolock. I know I can't make my car un-stealable.. But I do my best to make my car a real pain to steal. If someone's gonna jack my car for "free" parts, It's not gonna be like that, they're gonna have to "work" for my stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts