Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first post, but I've been lurking, and I've gotta say this is a fantastic site and forum, very informative. A couple of weeks ago I test drove a 94 RS with 150k mi. The high miles concerned me, but it was too late by then, I was hooked - I hadn't had that much fun driving since I totalled my crx si in 93! I dropped $3500 and bought it the next day. Anyway, I want to take care of this car, and really want to do some of the lighter work myself. I've managed fluid changes, tune ups, and brakes in the past, but always with borrowed tools. What do I need to look for in a minimal tool kit? Any recommendations on brand or where to buy? Also, what should I look at repairing/replacing on a car with miles this high? I called the dealer and they said I needed a 60k checkup - $400! The timing belt was replaced at 90k, and the clutch was replaced a few months ago. I'm about to put redline fluids in, clean the funnel ram air filter, replace plugs, put in axxis brake pads, and need to open the drivers side door panel to fix the lock. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
here are some basic ones
Craftsman. 1/2 inch sockets sets both 12 and 6 points. most common 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm. 1/4 sockets with 10mm 12mm and 14mm. two box end ratchet-wrenches 10mm and 12mm. 6 inch extension for the 1/4 and 1/2 ratchets, a 18 inch or longer 1/2 breaker bar. also a decent set of phillips and standard screwdrivers

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Go to sears (if you have one in your state) look into Craftsman +101 tools packages (I think there cheap for the prices). I also Recomend buying a Air compressor w/aire tools, it make your jobs so easy and fast.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If you can afford them and find them, I recommend Snap-on or Mac tools (Both carry lifetime warranties).

Failing that, I would say go with a decent Husky (Home Depot, also lifetime warranty) set of tools. Great quality for the price.

Craftsman are still ok, but not near the quality they used to be (I don't even think they still carry a lifetime warranty).

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The timing belt should really be replaced every 60K miles. If yours was replaced at 90K miles, it's time for a new one.

Anyway, enjoy your Integra! As much fun as a CRX, but more refined.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Yea Craftsman still has their lifetime warranty.

your tool kit should include metric wrenches up to 19mm (i think that's the largest bolt on this car) and a socket set. A deep socket for the spark plugs, torque wrench!!!!!!!, #1 and #2 phillips screwdriver, a flathead screwdriver. that would be mine...

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Don't forget the special tools that are sometimes required for maintenance.

Spark Plug Socket, O2 Sensor Socket, Brake/clutch bleeding kit, etc =)

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
ah yes, good recovery, Style!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
It really doesn't take many tools to do the job. I believe the most standard DIY tool setup should consist of:

-3/4" or 1/2" drive metric socket set and wrench(s)
-screwdriver set
-needle nose plyers
-hammer
-applicable drive size breaker bar
-angled feeler gauges (valve job)
-spark plug gappig tool
-DVOM
-applicable size universal joints and socket extensions
-cheap torque wrench
-metric crescent wrench set

A tool set like this shouldn't cost more than $150, as you can buy used parts all day long for $1~$3 each.

This setup will have the tools needed to do a valve adjustement, pulg install, brake tune up, change fuel filter, and should be plenty for just about any modification install.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I bought a basic no frills socket set from Home Depot. Husky brand. It's the 93 piece set for 60 something bucks. you can add a set of extentions if desired to supplement it. I also bought a 26 piece open end wrench set From Sears. Craftsman brand. I have both metric and standard (needed for work).But a set of either should cost in the 58-68 dollar range. Can't remember since it's been a few years.
There are plenty of good prand name tools out there. Snap-on is the most expensive. Husky,Craftsman,Kobalt,Mac, PROTO,Blackhawk are also very good tools.

"metric crescent wrench set"
Just a crescent wrench set. Doesn't matter metric or standard.They are adjustable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, thanks for all the info, everyone! I wasn't sure about doing so much myself, but I'm not too worried about now that I've got the articles and forum on TI to lean on. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts