Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok quick question i read the article about installing neons is it possible to just wire them to the fuse box and have them turn on with my lights rather than a switch and if so how would i do that i have a fuse holder but do i still need to ground or wat could someone point me in the right direction for the wiring plz thank you

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, you're going to need to connect them into the fuse box with a .25 inch female spade connector, just put that on the end of the power wire and plug it in.

Ground them to any bolt that's just on the bare chassis (area mentioned in the article, the big ones under the e-brake, or there's lots of other places)

You shoudn't need a switch if they're connected right (i'm 99% sure) just either plug them into the ignition place or the flashing lights (as covered in article)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Can I ask why you dont want a switch?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
yea, a switch is a good idea, i turn mine off because of cops all the time. Not to mention if a cop pulls you over for a headlight thing, and you turn them on to show him and he sees your neons, there's another ticket

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Wow! i was just reading the article and was going to do the same thing tomarrow. It says do not wire the lights straight to your fuse box! make sure you have another fuse backing up the fuse box with a 5A fuse and fuse holder.

I also had a question: Whats the longest size tube you can put under the dash useing the methodes in the article and does the brightness vary among brands? If so whats the best neons to use? I wanted to know before i go out and buy the neons.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you have them under the dash like I do, it's impossible for people to see it from outside. But yeah, you can hook it up in the fuse box so that they turn on with your headlights.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
When I did my neons I did put the rocomended fuse in, and wired in a swith to my center console (looks very clean). I think I used 12 inch tubes from street glow, however I did not take apart the inverters, it seemed like a total PITA. I zip tied them very carefully and it came out fine.

I got the neons from summitracing.com, cheapest I found them, and they have fast shipping.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can connect them up straight to the fuse box but I really recommend you use another fuse anyways. I would keep a switch somewhere just in case you need them off. Like when in the shop, working on car and don't want to drain battery, gettin pulled over, ect.

I've noticed with my friend's neons that they don't show up at night from the outside that well so he has his on all the time, except of course the mentioned ubove.

I went with a little bit cheaper way and rigged up the Blue Cold Cathode tubes that computer peeps use for decorating their computers. (10 bucks for two tubes roughly 12~13 inches long) They are very very bright and I kind of reflect off the windows so if someone was to drive by at the right angle they would see it. So now I just have it rigged so they turn on when doors open only. (got a switch though to turn them on all the time and off)

Heres a quick shot of it in my bro's car.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Im getting the same PC lights, cheaper than your "autozone regulars" and yes brighter.

I had blue in my last teg so I will most likely do a different color this time round. Nice pics

I also vote for the 'have a switch'. You can have them come on automatically yeah, I wanted to do that but then on days when its say raining real bad outside or youre just not in the mood to look at the light in the car its nice to be able to turn them off.

- Josh

·
Registered
202 Posts
spets on Apr/11/04 said:
don't they distract you when you're driving at night?
I don't have them on while I drive unless I'm like pullin up and want to try to make a scene (never happens lol). Again I have them rigged up to my doors so when I open a door they turn on instead of dome light.

In the pictures they look a bit intense in some spots but it's really more even than it looks.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
spets on Apr/11/04 said:
don't they distract you when you're driving at night?
My last interior neons I had on all the time at night. Very relaxing ride down the highway, music on, dark out, neons on

You dont ever see the bulb, just the glow, and no its not annoying. The only time I ever turned mine off was when I spilled a drink in my car and didnt want to put them on until I could clean it all up.

If you have them set to pulse with music, that shyt can get annoying real fast. But I didnt have that kind so it was never a concern of mine.

And yeah how you see with your real eyes is different than say his pictures. Interior lights are nice if done correctly.

- Josh

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I have some Blue neon plates that i dont want anymore and willing to sell them for cheep to get them off my hands.
I was planning on installing them under my front seats for the back seat. They are nice and bright.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok well i have all the wiring i need and i have a switch the switch on the back has six like tabs on them 2 on each side and 1 on top and 1 on bottom im guessin they are for ground and power but how would i wire it what goes to what thx

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
prodaz on Apr/11/04 said:
You can connect them up straight to the fuse box but I really recommend you use another fuse anyways. I would keep a switch somewhere just in case you need them off. Like when in the shop, working on car and don't want to drain battery, gettin pulled over, ect.

I've noticed with my friend's neons that they don't show up at night from the outside that well so he has his on all the time, except of course the mentioned ubove.

I went with a little bit cheaper way and rigged up the Blue Cold Cathode tubes that computer peeps use for decorating their computers. (10 bucks for two tubes roughly 12~13 inches long) They are very very bright and I kind of reflect off the windows so if someone was to drive by at the right angle they would see it. So now I just have it rigged so they turn on when doors open only. (got a switch though to turn them on all the time and off)

Heres a quick shot of it in my bro's car.

WOW! yours are VERY bright. I just got done putting mine in right now, and i used the optx streetglow from advance (40 bucks total!
) The brightness isn't as intense as yours. plus I have a black interior and its harder to get it to reflect of it. well, right now i just super glued the switch to the center counsol in 1 or the 4 empty spots. Very nice and clean job i. Ill post pictures as soon as i can fing the usb cable to the digital camera.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts