Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished maximum boost by corky bell and highly recommend this book. A question arised when i got to the part about intercooling. Specifically the section about directing the flow of air by ducting. The subaru does this by means of the hood scoop and making a seal on the intercooler. He shows examples of the different degrees to attach these ducts and there effectiveness.FOr those with the book, it is on pg. 58. I might be able to scan it later.

My question is how effective is this on the teg. I flipped through some of my pics of nissan's and other turbo cars with front mounts and dont see this applied. Since turbo is in my future i plan on designing something like this. Let me know what you turbo guys think.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually i dont have them mixed up, at first i thought the same. If you think about it, it makes perfect since. Since you create limits and force the air to not have any other place to go except through, you creat a more efficient form of cooling. The book explains alot of misconceptions that i think anyone that is interested in turbo should pick up. Quote from the book "
"Ducts
A duct is, in a large sense, a form of streamlining of the core. The duct presents the air molecules with no alternative but to go through the core. Do not underestimate the ability of a duct to improve the efficiency of the intercooler. I would suggest that an improvement of 20% is possible, good duct versus none. When constructing ducts, is is decidedly worth the extra effort to insure that the air molecules have no alternative but to go through the core. That is seal all edges, corners, and joints.
It is not necessary for the duct inlet to be as big as the frontal area of the IC core. A rule of thumb is that the duct inlet should be atleast one-fourth the core area. this rather strange situation is brought about by the fact that less than one-fourth of the air molecules would get through the core with little or no attention to ducting. "

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I wonder if this is how Apex'i was thinking of their DELTA FIN DESIGN for their intercoolers. Instead of having one large duct for the intercooler, they used every fin to be "duct" in affect to trap maximum air possible..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he explains that in the book as well. If you look at some intercooler design, you see some have flat fronts which cause air not to go directly through the core. By adding a raised surface, even triangles to somewhat direct the flow, efficiency is greatly improved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.