Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a good bit of searching for this clarification, but I seem to find contradicting answers. I know the Type r factory exhausts are around 2.25". The JDM type r's came with the 4-1 exhaust manifold with the 2.5" collector. I'm having a hard time finding where the step down/bottleneck is. Is it at the cat? After the cat? I'm thinking of ditching my 2.5" exhaust setup and going for the Type r oem pipe and muffler. I have the JDM ITR 4-1 manifold and a 2.5" cat now, so i'm hoping the bottle neck is after. If 2.25" exhaust pipe is good enough for a type r, its good enough for my GSR with bolt-ons and CTR cams. The canister style 2.5" exhaust and sub par resonator is getting old....real quick.

·
Registered
711 Posts
All the stuff I read the step down is at the rear portion of the cat with the JDM type R header + JDM exhaust.

My current setup is the JDM 4-1, carsound 2.5in cat and USDM itr catback with following
-Welded on 2.5in flange to connect the cat to the header
-A reducer pipe welded on the cat 2.5in portion to 2.25in with a matching flange into the USDM catback.

This is the only picture I have, a mock up of what I did
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb7hhQFAp2p/?taken-by=aw614

I didn't want to do any modifications to the header or USDM itr piping so I did it at the cat. If I wanted to switch to 2.5in piping from header to muffler, I would probably just buy another car with the flanges and extension pipe. My car has been street tuned so I am not sure how much power it makes, thinking of getting it dynoed to see how bad this bottleneck is, but with the jdm itr transmission, I am willing to lose power for some quieter highway cruising.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the stuff I read the step down is at the rear portion of the cat with the JDM type R header + JDM exhaust.

My current setup is the JDM 4-1, carsound 2.5in cat and USDM itr catback with following
-Welded on 2.5in flange to connect the cat to the header
-A reducer pipe welded on the cat 2.5in portion to 2.25in with a matching flange into the USDM catback.

This is the only picture I have, a mock up of what I did
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb7hhQFAp2p/?taken-by=aw614

I didn't want to do any modifications to the header or USDM itr piping so I did it at the cat. If I wanted to switch to 2.5in piping from header to muffler, I would probably just buy another car with the flanges and extension pipe. My car has been street tuned so I am not sure how much power it makes, thinking of getting it dynoed to see how bad this bottleneck is, but with the jdm itr transmission, I am willing to lose power for some quieter highway cruising.
Ah i see now, what you did makes sense. I think if i go this route, I would have to modifiy the connector to the cat from the oem b pipe. I already have the cat for 2.5" and 2.5" out, and that was expensive. i'd hate to buy another one. I'm with you on the quieter highway cruising. Maybe i'm showing my age now, but i'm willing to sacrafice 1 peak whp or whatever it is to get something quieter. I'm too old for the fart cannon stuff lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts