Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, long story short, I'm in the market for a new (to me) car, and I have my eyes and heart set on a third Gen Integra.

It's going to be my first project car.

I know I know. I sound as dumb as I look. Zero experience on mechanical car work and I want a project car. But we all have to start somewhere, right?

I tried to pull as much info as I could on things to look out for when buying on multiple Integra forums that I'll be posting later once I streamline the info(My first contribution???). Hopefully it can help the next poor soul that wanders where I've already been cause all the info is from way back when and harder to find than decent housing in Southern California.

Anyways, the one thing I can't seem to pull is a fair RECENT price for the stick, third gen Integra. The only things I found were a GSR and Type R earlier this year, which is not what i'm in the market for, and I think a 2001 LS somewhere in the east coast from January?

It's getting harder and harder to find a stick integra that wasn't heavily modded and is below 200k at this point, so from what I've learned so far, I need to be weary of worn piston rings, catalytic converters, EXPLODING SUN ROOFS, and suspension if it hasn't been changed already or swapped with some cheap aftermarket junk.

It's been about a month of looking so far, and wading through the deep waters I think I might have found a catch which I've included in the pictures.

I want to go check it out in person, but apparently it failed smog, the guy is FIRM on 2k for it despite this. At first I thought if it needs suspension work and doesn't pass smog maybe 2k is a smidge high, but at the same time compared to whats out there maybe it's a reasonable price for something that isn't salvaged and doesn't look like the inside was used as storage space for a chronic hoarder.

So, fine folks at Team-Integra, what do YOU think?
Is 2k a steal for this smoggy smoker? Is it reasonable? Or am I better off holding out a little longer? Any help and experienced insight would be greatly appreciated. I can't do much in return yet, but I really, seriously plan on making a project and documenting it as I learn, and hopefully help steer some other confused soul in the right direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome to TI. In my opinion the price is about what it should cost considering the interior and exterior are in good condition and that the car runs well. If possible, find-out why it won't pass emissions first. So that you know what's it going to cost to repair it. That way you'll be able to tell if it's worth the asking price. Also, inspect it for the signs of rust. You don't want it to fall apart on you..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey there,
IMO the specific integra is a bit over priced. It clearly has a check engine light, which is the reason it failed smog. So it's probably having issues with the 02 sensors or emissions equipment. Also can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like the hood and front bumper are suffering from clear coat failure. Personally I'd go for an EARLIER 3rd gen integra if I were in California. The 94-96 use obd1 and have way less emissions equipment on them and they are only 0-2 years away from being exempt from emissions testing, which will open your opportunity to modding significantly.

Also buying a modded car isn't a bad thing, I personally view it as a money savings if it closely aligns with my build ideology. The only issue is having to do maintenance which you'll be doing with any integra these days.

What part of California are you in? There should be a lot of deals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to TI. In my opinion the price is about what it should cost considering the interior and exterior are in good condition and that the car runs well. If possible, find-out why it won't pass emissions first. So that you know what's it going to cost to repair it. That way you'll be able to tell if it's worth the asking price. Also, inspect it for the signs of rust. You don't want it to fall apart on you..
Thanks! I talked to the guy a bit, and unfortunately he didn't say much except that there was once an engine misfire or something. I might go check it out on the weekend and plug in a Bluetooth obd2 scanner and hopefully I can find out more. Almost forgot about the rust and the wheel wells, thanks!

Hey there,
IMO the specific integra is a bit over priced. It clearly has a check engine light, which is the reason it failed smog. So it's probably having issues with the 02 sensors or emissions equipment. Also can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like the hood and front bumper are suffering from clear coat failure. Personally I'd go for an EARLIER 3rd gen integra if I were in California. The 94-96 use obd1 and have way less emissions equipment on them and they are only 0-2 years away from being exempt from emissions testing, which will open your opportunity to modding significantly.

Also buying a modded car isn't a bad thing, I personally view it as a money savings if it closely aligns with my build ideology. The only issue is having to do maintenance which you'll be doing with any integra these days.

What part of California are you in? There should be a lot of deals.
Are there any specific mods that you would say might be more trouble than others? I was reading to look out for cheap coilovers but other than that I wouldn't know what to keep an eye out for. If that's true about the smog then I'll definitely go for the earlier integra! Although I was having trouble finding out about the smog exemption for 94 integras in California. All I saw was vehicles 1975 and older and 1998 diesel vehicles and newer. Maybe it's only specific parts of Cali?

I'm in the inland empire area but drive out to West Compton for work. Been waiting for deals on Craigslist and OfferUp but by the time I put the money together seems like I missed a few already!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Suspension mods aren't a bad thing per say. It really depends on how low they had their car. I wouldn't buy a car laying frame bc I know the undercarriage will be totally ****ed. My bigger concern would be poorly done turbo kits or buying a built engine that doesn't have any tuning software. I always laugh at the amount of money people will spend on an engine build and then they never tune it lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd give him $400-500 for that. Just my 0.02 cents but 2Gs is ridiculous for a 200k mile beat to death LS that needs quite some money.

I paid $1k for a 94 LS back in 2009 with like 80k less miles. Everything is relevance, but I personally wouldn't buy it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts