Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one day on my way to my friends house my cold air intake completely fell off with me noticing. My brother found it on my street and gave it to me when I got back. Just how severe is it to drive without an air filter for about 10-15 minutes? Will it make my car a lot slower? Can I (if so, how) "clean the engine" out to remove the dirt? Thankyou

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
that's something i've never heard about...
they can fell of just like that and ppl wouldn't even nitice it?

·
Registered
310 Posts
LOL. Sorry, I'm not laughing at you... I just never heard of that happening before. WHo installed it? Did you install it or did a mechanic? If a mechanic did it, that's scary! I would'nt go to him again! Driving without an intake COULD be bad, but if you're not noticing any problems, you're probably fine. It would've slowed you down while driving without it, but it sounds like you didn't notice...

-Ep

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
its just a filter.. if anything you got some dust sucked up into there.. hopefully not pieces of grit or sand.. sucked into the combustion chamber.. burned and spat out or just stuck into the carbon buildup around the chamber. doubt you should worry, but if you notice any erratic behavior at least you know what could be the cause

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm guessing you have a 2 piece CAI. Anyways, I don't know how your lower piping tube came off. The splash guard underneath the car should have caught it. I suggest you tighten the hose clamps so it doesn't happen again. You are very lucky you didn't run it over yourself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wouldn't it be LOUDas hell for you to notice that it was off? as for the dirt getting into your engine, it depends on the road you were driving (dusty, etc. etc.). was the filter the only thing came off? or it was the whole piping?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
If the CAI was on the street I'm guessing you have no splashguard/fenderwell. I'd get that replaced if you don't want to murder your air filter anyway. Driving without an air filter is not good and you could have picked up dust into the engine. Not much you can do about it now though other than replace that intake and get a new fenderwell if it is indeed missing.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Having youre air filter dissapere for 10-15 minutes on a paved road shouldnt be a big deal. Sure its not great for youre engine if you suck dirt in there, as it contributes to carbon buildups and general deteroiation of the combustion chamber, but 10-15mins isnt a big deal. I mean, for example, the guys running velocity stacks dont have filters, and they are willing to suck some dirt into their engine knowing that it wont result in short term damage, but over time will be bad for their motor. In other words, dont worry about it, its not a big deal.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
take it from a guy who had his engine rebuilt recently with a CAI that HAD A FILTER oN IT...if ANY dirt or sand gets in the engine, it f**ks the bearings, rings, and other parts...basically you are adding grit to the oil and then circulating it to all the parts of the engine where there is metal to metal contact...sandblast your engine internals for free sir?....definitely not good...do an oil change (including filter)while the car is at home and not moving NOW at minimum. An engine flush and oil change wouldn't be a bad idea.

The only people I know who drive without a filter are trailer queen race only cars which run without a filter for less than 11 sec. plus the time in the burn out box. Certainly not 10 min.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yeah those AEM's get disgustingly dirty and full of junk. I pulled my filter after 10k miles and it was so bad it seemed beyond cleanable. Definitely no more long tube fenderwell intakes for me.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Oh my god, that's like my worst fear.
Can I just tell you how many times I am under my car checking to see that it's still attached?

Not that it would fall off. I tightened that sucker good.

BTW - what brand is it?

I'm sure if it's a product defect and not human error, we'd all appreciate knowing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I belive that ther are sertain types of oil you can run that are supossed to collect up dirt and harmfull particles and dispose of them without harming your motor. If they work well at this, I do not know. But I hae read about them. you may whant to look into it to see if this is a good option but when you change the oil and filter i would look into this kind of oil. Just for the hell of it!

·
Registered
577 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me a few months back. I have an AEM CAI, and one day my friend discovered that my filter had fallen off (not the whole thing). I changed the oil that same day, and replaced the filter the next. No biggie, since I didn't drve it around w/ no filter.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
you're supposed to oil the k&n filter to recharge it when you clean the filter...it's part of k&n's cleaning kit that you can buy. if you don't oil it, then you totally messed up. The point of what I was I'm saying to you was that even with the filter on and properly oiled, some particles can get into the engine. You trade off flow for some loss of filtering ability compared to the stock paper filters. The k&n's are however better than foal and metal mesh filters for filtering. I can't imagine how much crap gets through with those.

it does however re-emphasizes the importance of doing your oil changes at the prescribed intervals or sooner rather than trying to stretch it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts