Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When considering cams for a gsR, matched with a Skunk2 Intake manifold and 3inch type-R short ram intake, and 4-2-1 Dc Headers, would it be wise to go for both type r cams? Also, would the type R intake cam matched with the stock gsr exhaust cam still flow adequately? Cost is not the problem but obviusly 300 in my pocket would be great, simply put, will it restrict me alot to keep the gsr exhaust cam?
I really like the idea of the dual lobe cams, especially for everyday use purpose, so I really didn't want to consider huge cams or skunk2's. I have also read alot about import cams that are really just regrinds unless you get really top quality stuff ($$$), and that the stock cams can do a great job when in comparison. Everyone has heard of at least one person claiming power loss from the skunk2 cams...

-Matt

·
Registered
675 Posts
You will never get the full benifit of the intake cam without a properly matched exhaust cam. Some gain, sure...but when you realized afterwards that you screwed up, when you get that itching for more power, you will be paying for installation twice, as well as tuning twice and not a happy camper...My advice do it right the first time, or you shouldnt do it.
Cody

·
Registered
189 Posts
i am using GSR exhaust with CTR intake it has 156 hp and runs 14.2 but it would be better and you can find the cams on ebay for around 350 or so for the pair i wish i had done that instead of just buying the intake for 150 when i saw one since i figured i would be able to find exhaust cam cheap somewhere also but never did and i dont have to worry about the instalation twice cause i do that part myself but the tuning would be better to have done just once

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
dohclsvtec on Apr/21/04 said:
Everyone has heard of at least one person claiming power loss from the skunk2 cams...

-Matt
usually power loss from cams is from not having the rest of the engine package to match the agressiveness of the cams. i've had skunk2 stage2's sitting on my shelf, and they are staying there till i get the rest of my package together.

eitherway, i agree about running both cams. just doesn't make sense to open one side up more without opening up the other.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Is it possible to use ITR intake camshaft for the intake, and GSR intake camshaft for the exhaust?
I read something about doing this with the valvesprings (i think- can't find article now), but unsure if it also applied to cams.
Sorry in advance for the noob question :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
00g3teg on Feb/05/07 said:
Is it possible to use ITR intake camshaft for the intake, and GSR intake camshaft for the exhaust?
I read something about doing this with the valvesprings (i think- can't find article now), but unsure if it also applied to cams.
Sorry in advance for the noob question :)
Yes you can run the itr or ctr intake cam, but you cannot run the gsr intake cam on the exhaust side. The cam profile is different and I don't think the car would run. Correct me if I'm wrong. You're better off sticking to the itr/ctr intake cam and gsr exhaust cam....

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just to show you guys what MD is talking about the top end of your RPM range falling off with only the Type R Intake Cam and GSR Exhaust Cam.... check out my Dyno...

And that is why I recently purchased the ITR Exhaust cam to further complete my package....

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Feb/06/07 said:
Good info!

Let's think about it logically......why improve the "sucking" if you can't "exhale" it any faster?
Exactly. Easiest way to make power? Get the most air in as fast as you can, burn it as efficently as possible, then get the most burnt gasses out as fast as you can. Rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
782 Posts
ih8ricers on Feb/06/07 said:
you cannot run the gsr intake cam on the exhaust side. The cam profile is different and I don't think the car would run.
Could anyone please elaborate on how the profile between exhaust camshafts and intake camshafts differ?
-not talking about lift/duration ect.. because the GSR Intake cam is almost the same as the ITR/Skunk2 stage 1 exhaust cam.
Is it that the slots on the ends are different?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts