Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Car Sound cat has the primary O2 sensor at about a 30 degree angle from vertical unlike the stock cat which has it vertical. This caused the O2 sensor to hit on the motor mount bracket. I had to use a cutoff wheel on my Dremel to remove around 1/4" from the edge of this bracket. The bracket is 2 pieces of approx. 1/8" steel tack welded together.
The Car Sound cat is about 4lbs. lighter than stock.
I tapered the inlet to the b-pipe. My RSR exhaust doesn't have a bottle neck here.
The difference is dramatic. Compared to before, the car never feels like it is working. It never runs out of breath. Throttle response is better and torque, according to my butt dyno, is significantly improved. The car just feels so much more relaxed. The car is also significantly quieter overall. Engine noise, intake noise and exhaust noise are quieter. The engine is no longer working to pump through the restriction, so it is quieter. The exhaust note from outside the car might be slightly louder, but I don't think so. I didn't expect this much difference; I am impressed.
My Auto Meter A/F gauge readings dropped about .1V at WOT, so I know it is flowing better.
I don't how significant these gains would be on a dyno, but then again, most of my driving is not done on a dyno.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The more I drive the car, the more I am impressed. This is the best modification I have performed. Apparently, this was the weak link in my system and now everything is working together. My car never feels like it is straining; the acceleration is effortless. Now it runs like a bike. I do want to stress that this mod alone will not have such dramatic effects. But if you have similar mods to mine, it should be just as dramatic.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I am looking at getting this cat, how much dod you pay for yours? I found them on ebay for $55. good deal? these are a direct bolt on correct? no welding? I am using a DC Sport 4-1 one piece header, and Tanabe Racing Medalion Exhaust, so I am guessing to ge the 2.25" as well?

·
Registered
306 Posts
kelly

you have a gsr correct? do you know what size the rsr exhuast is and if there are any other bottle necks in it? from a quick glance, i see no bottlenecks in my rsr exhaust..

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
if you are getting it from ebay and there is no flange and O2 bung then expect to do some welding at the local muffler shop...I have given you 2 retailers who sell them pre-packaged as straight bolt-ons...many times on this board....search or go to the article on cats...the links are there...

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a '99 GSR. Got my cat from SMSP - do a search to find his contact info. - don't have it handy. $182 for the kit (cat, hardware, donut, gasket). The universal one will have to have flanges welded on as MD stated and you will have to get the hardware (longer bolts, nuts, etc.) I would just buy the complete kit. I assume the RSR is 60 mm, not sure. Has no bottlenecks. I removed the lip due to the pipe being inside of the flange at the cat to b-pipe connection. I looked at removing this lip at the other connections, but on the other connections the two lips were so close together I didn't think it was worth the trouble to taper them. As I stated, I had to modify the motor mount bracket to get mine to fit other than that it bolted in. This mod improved everything, not just low and mid - perhaps I wasn't clear on this.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I ordered mine Friday and I get it on Wed. but I was still wondering if i made the right decision on the carsound cat. I guess i did

·
Registered
112 Posts
Kelly,

Sorry about the install problem. I think I must not have realized that yours was a 99 GSR. With those I end up using the 94005 cat without any bungs and weld bungs in at the top on the inlet and around 45 degrees on the outlet. The cat you got was for the stock ITRs or 00+ GSRs. The earlier GSR cats are a littel more due to the welding of the 2 bungs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts