Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i played with the search but didn't find any on this topic. I don't want to drill holes into my door panels, but i have come into posessions of some components speakers.

Anyway, is it possible to mount the tweeter right next to the woofer in the door and have it able to play music through the stock grilles or is that not possible?

second question is, is this a good idea? I have read some where that the closer you mount the tweeter to the woofer, the better the sound quality will be. I deally the location of the tweeter should be within 6 inches of the woofer, which means the stock location isn't exactly the best place for it to be.

I can't think of any other places to mount the tweeters without ruining my interrior except right next to the woofer behind the speaker grille.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Take a hole saw and drill the hole where the stock tweeter would be near the top of the door pannel. Then flush mount it. Behind the factory woofer is the pocket, and above it there is not much clearence between the door pannel and the door itself. You would probably have to do a surface mount and not a flush mount. Go with the factory tweeter location!!!
Justin

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It's not the factory tweeter location that is questionable - it's the woofer's location...

You are right that ideally you'd want your tweeter mounted close to your woofer, but the woofer is mounted too low (to allow space inside the door panel for the rolled-down window and it's mechanisms.)

Ideally, you want your music to sound as if it is coming from a stage mounted just above the end of your hood. Higher pitched sounds (tweeter's output) are very directional, meaning that when you hear them, you can identify the source of the sound easily.

Lower pitched noises are less directional, for example, with the right crossover settings, you can make your trunk mounted subwoofers not sound as if they're behind you at all.

So, because space limited the options of front mid-woofer placement, Acura chose to mount the tweeter up high, thus 'raising' the 'soundstage.'

If you mounted the tweeters next to the mid-woofers, down low in the doors, not only would it make the soundstage 'appear lower', it would also bring it 'closer' to you (so it sounds like the music is coming from under the hood, right where the motor is...)

I'd stick with the stock location, as aftermarket components have better crossovers and will sound better sperated than the stock speakers.

Although, I will admit this much - In my first car (a pale yellow '88 Corolla Wagon! Woohoo!) I installed Aria 'point-synchronous' speakers - the tweeter was mounted flush to the woffer's cone, in the center where the dustcap would be.

Even thought they were only 4" speakers, they replicated female vocals like no other car audio speakers I've ever heard. Smooth and lifelike, enough to make you cringe at certain notes. (The Arias were $50, and played female vocals better than my gf's $350 Eclipse components with silk dome tweeters!)

I think this was in large part due to the tweeter's location, as the speakers weren't very expensive, and had a very basic crossover section.

But since the size of the speakers (almost a full 4" depth!) prevents them from being mounted up high in the Teg's doors, (dash mount in the Toyota...) I wouldn't recommend this setup for the Teg.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Edit: CubanLynx - The only problems with the kick panel boxes are that #1 you lose height from your soundstage, and #2 you'll constantly worry about friend's feet near the speakers (unless you have heavy-duty grilles, or really cheap speakers! *L*)

The kickpanel boxes are designed to keep the speakers at a more even distance from your ears, thus providing better balance, but I've never auditioned a set-up using only the kickpanels to give a full judgement (I knew someone that had custom kicks made for his Ford Ranger, but just for the woofers - he mounted the tweeters low in his A-pillars, to raise the soundstage - this sounded great, btw... He also had custom 'Ford' logos cut from a thick aluminum sheet to use as grilles.)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, very clear explaination. Thanks SubtlTeg. You've conviced me to consider the stock locations once more. Now the problem would be is to find some stock tweeter mounts and grilles. one of the reason why i first considered mounting the tweeters low is because i bought some Mb quarts and they are known to be some what bright and mounting them low would perhaps dampen them down a little instead of at the stock locations where it would be in your face sort of. Thanks for the replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.