Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I just bought an amp and 2 subs (in a box) from a coworker. Now I need to install everything. I checked out the article to install the amp by MorningZ, but lets say that I had no wires or anything else. Just the amp and 2 subs in an enclosure. What accessories do I need to make the install, ie. wires, etc... Please provide me with any info you might find helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey,
I can help, what you'll need is a (depending on where you want the amp to go) a few feet of constant power wire a good gauge, usually thick red, medium gage wire for switch power wire, and same gauge black ground wire. Also, some high capacity speaker wire. A set of RCA jacks and I think that should do it, you can go a bit more drawn out but I just stay to the basics which is what I listed above. Now before you buy the wires decide where you want it mounted cause that would depend on the feet you need, unless you buy a kit which gives you a bunch of feet, I hate kits personally. Anyhow, hey I'm nearby in Methuen if you need help let me know. I work in Boston so I'm around there during the week. I do my own systems all the time.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info vcruz! I'm most likely going to do MorningZ's setup which is to place the amp right behind the rear seats. So I'm assuming that I'll be ok if I get 8 ft of wire. The installation seems pretty straight forward, so hopefully my brother and I can crank it out. So to summarize, this is all I need:

1. Few feet of Constant Power Wire (Thick Red Gauge)
2. Switch Power Wire (Medium Gauge)
3. Black Ground Wire (Medium Gauge)
4. High Capacity Speaker Wire w/ set of RCA Jacks

I'm assuming places like BestBuy should have all this stuff. If they don't, I'll head over to Tweeter. Alright, thanks again vcruz and if I'm leaving anything out please let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Yeah, best buy and such will have it...usually in a kit though. I'm not sure how much power you're pushing, but 8 awg usually is enough for a single amp (unless it's high end, powerful beast).
-power wire
-ground wire
-remote/turn-on wire (any wire will work here)
-RCA's
-speaker wire...don't know size of amp, so not sure what size wire again
You'll probably find that a kit will have all that you need.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help you guys. I'll pick up the wires in the next few days and hopefully get everything installed Friday night.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
if its a stock head unit I recomend to buy a RCA convertor if your head unit has RCA inputs you dont need a RCA convertor.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I used to work at a high-end car stereo store. Hopefully you'll see this before you get to work. Depending on the type of subs that you have (most likely 4 ohms) there are a few things you need to take into consideration...

*engine noise resulting from running the wires in a bad position. If you get inexpensive rcas and ground and power wire, you might have this happen.

*The proper size fuse/fuseholder for the amp (the fuse will be mounted near the battery.)

If you are using your stock unit..(factory stereo) you will need what is called a dual amp balnacer. this allows you to properly install the aftermarket amp, subs into your car.

the sub can be mounted a number of different ways..figure out what would be best for you. I suggest that you fire the subs toward the back of the car. don't have the subs facing the interior of the car.

Last, but most important. If you do keep the stock head unit, you will have bass, but your highs and mids won't sound any better. Factory stereos...suck. sorry, but it's true. When I used to build systems for people, I would go deck, speakers, amp, sub. It's still the best way to do things. Just a suggestion.

GET YOUR STUFF FROM A CAR AUDIO SPECIALTY STORE AND DoN"T BE AFRAID TO ASK INSTAll ADVICE. MOST TECHS WILL BE COOL ENOUGH TO HELP YOU OUT, AS LoNG AS YOU BY WIRES,RCAS ETC...FROM THEM.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help you guys. I do have an aftermarket head unit, so thankfully I won't need all that balancer stuff. So is the wires going to be of less quality if I buy the stuff from a place like BestBuy instead of a audio specific shop?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yeah,
they tend to sell the cheaper stuff at non-specialty stores. If you have a buddy who knows his stereos, that is cool. He can always help you with some of the tougher stuff, but I suggest getting to know some techs at your local store. Soundquest,Phoenix gold and Monster Cable are some of the better brands. They sell good pre-packaged kits at these stores too. the kits go anywhere from $40 to$90 bucks. just go with what will do a decent,no frills job for ya. I have my amp mounted on the back of my rightside rear passenger seat. the hatch cover keeps it safe and inconspicuous. Big props for learning how to do the stuff yourself. Saves you money on labor.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's the plan then since the stuff I have is definitely not the high high end package. I think I'll pick up the stuff from BestBuy during lunch. one more quick question. I see in MorningZ's article about installing an amp that there are three wires going to the headunit (RCAs, Speaker Wires and the Remote Wire Run). I'm a little confused about something here. I'm assuming that this install would be for an amp and no sub, right??? i.e. the amp is there to power the speakers and not the sub. Now if I'm using the amp to power my subs, then the speaker wire would go from the amp to the sub enclosure, right??? And the only thing that goes to the headunit would be the RCAs and the Remote Wire (I have no clue where I would attach this wire to, so please help. Oh yeah, I don't have a power antenna anymore because I did an S2000 conversion if that makes a difference). Alright, any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
You are correct!

Of course, feel free to run the extra speaker wire if you plan on upgrading to an amp for your front speakers, that will make it much easier (just don't connect it yet). It all depends on what your future plans are. If you have no plans other than the sub, than all you need to run are the remote wire and rca's.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its all coming together now. one more thing, all I have to do with the remote wire is just connect it to the antenna wire, right?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh thanks cheezthis! I was using the G3 Vehicle Wiring Information Article instead and it didn't have that wire in it.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just installed the amp and sub last night. It took 4 1/2 hours (some damn screws were giving me a hassle), but it was well worth the time. The subs kick ass! And the experience was even more rewarding! Thanks again for the help you guys, especially you cheezthis!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts