Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so when I bought my car I had no idea when the belt was last replaced.

Is there anything to look for when checking the belt that might reveal it's age? (old or new) Also what might I look for to see if it should be replaced?

·
Registered
917 Posts
This is not a bad idea, but Timing belts are notorious for not showing signs of wear or age, not that you wont see one torn up from time to time..., if you are going to take it off to check it out, you might as well replace it for piece of mind, its a simple job, and you can get at the tensioner as well, which people often neglect when replacing a timing belt.

- I replaced mine after about 90k miles and you can hardly tell the difference between how the new one and the old one look, (both oem)

- make sure you use oem parts.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i pretty well know what needs done when i get in there if I do it. Although I have never done a timing belt and i am afraid to screw up my timing.

but I wanted to pull the valve cover and maybe slide the belt cover away to check it out.

·
Registered
720 Posts
campbuds on Oct/12/07 said:
yeah, i pretty well know what needs done when i get in there if I do it. Although I have never done a timing belt and i am afraid to screw up my timing.

but I wanted to pull the valve cover and maybe slide the belt cover away to check it out.
I wouldnt do that. If you set the engine to TDC that exh cam is on the edge to turn a tooth very easy. The holes in the top of the cams when putting a 6mm or so bit will hold, but that exhaust cam wants to turn counter clockwise very quick and then your messed up.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Oct/12/07 said:
There's really no way to check the timing belt. Unless it is literally about to break apart, it'll probably look fine.

This is why it's just recommended you change it at a certain mileage -- better to replace it early than to wait for it to snap.
Agreed If you have any thought that its been on there too long.. get it replaced! It will only benifit you for your car lasting that much longer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.