Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the story. Today I went to get my tires balanced and rotated and when I went to pick it up, the guy at the shop told me that there was severe inner tire wear on the front left tire (the wire was showing). I bought these tires at the same time about a year ago and they have about 20k miles on them. They are 215/40/17 Michelin Pilot XGT H4.

Before I bought these tires, I had the same size and model tires with outer tire wear issues. So, I went to get it aligned at a legitimate shop and they said the alignment was perfect and I just needed to get 4 new tires, so I did. Everything was fine until now. My question is, what can cause inner tire wear and why so much more on the front left? I'm on stock suspenion which has about 110k miles.

Thanks. If there is anything I left out, let me know.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Inner Tie Wear is Camber but Toe can also effect it.
I would be concerned at the quality of the alignement done

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Hmmm.. That's odd.

Stock suspension with a perfect alignment and there is irregular tire wear? Hmmm... The only thing I can think of is incorrect tire pressure. Do you check it regularly?

[edit]

Regarding Matt_Of_MI's post above, do you have an alignment print out of your before and after settings?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shop I went to for an alignment is a well known and reputable shop that oNLY work on Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus. As for tire pressure, I check it about every month and inflate to the recommended psi which is 44psi.

The alignment was done about a year ago and unfortunately, I don't have the settings of the alignment before or after.

·
Registered
789 Posts
yeah, the laws of physics say it can only be one of those factors

toe, alignment, camber, tire pressure

Or you just always drive on roads that rise up in the center

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Regarding tire pressure:

If the tire was overinflated the wear would be on the center tread area of the tire
Underinflation causes wear on BOTH inner and outer sides of the tire.
this is confusing me

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I had the same problem. What I did was, stopped driving fast around truns, and as a result a got more life out of my tires

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
cluelessmale on Apr/09/04 said:
I had the same problem. What I did was, stopped driving fast around truns, and as a result a got more life out of my tires
haha, yes, driving agressivly will deteriorate the life of a tire but this is a weird problem

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even if I did drive fast around the corners, which I don't, Why would it only be on the l/f tire and not the others? I'm just hoping the problem can be fixed without paying an arm and a leg since I don't have much money.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
inte94gra on Apr/09/04 said:
Even if I did drive fast around the corners, which I don't, Why would it only be on the l/f tire and not the others? I'm just hoping the problem can be fixed without paying an arm and a leg since I don't have much money.
im thinking its still an alignment problem, cant be tire wear(it just doesnt make sense)

·
Registered
338 Posts
You shouldnt have much of a camber issue if your on factory suspension height I believe. Toe alignment might be the problem, but usually side tire wear is due to underinflation of the tire, remember when you rotate the tires you also need to adjust the psi accordingly to the front and rear.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
AcuraMXS on Apr/09/04 said:
You shouldnt have much of a camber issue if your on factory suspension height I believe. Toe alignment might be the problem, but usually side tire wear is due to underinflation of the tire, remember when you rotate the tires you also need to adjust the psi accordingly to the front and rear.
for me to be certified in suspension this still doesnt make sense to me. when you're underinflated both inner and outer sides of the tires will have uneven wear but when alignment comes into play, the wear can be on one side. that's the only reason im suspecting alignment

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yep like I said it could be toe alignment, but I believe that it was reported that the alignment was checked and in perfect condition.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
AcuraMXS on Apr/09/04 said:
Yep like I said it could be toe alignment, but I believe that it was reported that the alignment was checked and in perfect condition.
thats the part that is screwing with my mind. this is odd.
did you get a print out of the alignment?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would a blown shock or broken strut on one side of the car cause this sort of inner tire wear? I know that when they balance and rotate the tires they also adjust the tire pressure. At least they're supposed to.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Would a blown shock or broken strut on one side of the car cause this sort of inner tire wear? I know that when they balance and rotate the tires they also adjust the tire pressure. At least they're supposed to.
yes that would be under an alignment problem. do you have blown shocks or sagging spring?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately, I don't have the alignment results since it was a while back. I would really like to take it to the shop and have all the suspension inspected but like I said, I don't have much mula.

I don't know about the sagging springs or shocks but I wouldn't be surprised because the amount of mileage on the suspenion and no suspension part has ever been changed.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have the alignment results since it was a while back. I would really like to take it to the shop and have all the suspension inspected but like I said, I don't have much mula.
just do it yourself, look at the strut body for any leaks(fluid residue on the body). and if the spring doesnt seem to look right, kind of low compared to the others.

·
Registered
698 Posts
After reading through this thread, the only thing I can come up with is a defective tire.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well I have free stock shocks and springs off a 99 GS with about 30k miles on them at the most (most likely under those) if you are interested in them just send me a PM and cover shipping.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts