Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello my fellow Team-Integra memebers. After 16 long years, I am finally in a position where I have both the time and money (well, mostly the money) to build/boost my Integra like I always wished I could. My 1999 Integra GSR had been my dependable daily driver since my sophomore year of high school back in 2002 until just a few years ago when I finally retired it from daily driver status. It now has just under 220,000 miles, and has a few rust spots on some body panels here and there. However, the underside of the vehicle and major body structures are still in good shape and have only some minor surface rusting at worst. This being the case, I decided it was time to begin the journey of my long time dream of a turbo build, and a little later down the road getting all the body ailments repaired as well.

So, I'll start out with the most important question of any build: purpose. The purpose of my build is to have a summer weather, semi-daily driver that I will take to work a few days a week, putz around on the freeway occasionally on weekends, and possibly take to the drag strip once or twice a summer. Power goal is low to mid 400whp on 93 pump gas, and around the 500 whp mark with race gas/e85/methanol injection.

I have been working closely with Mac from Speed Trapp Consulting putting my build together to meet my purpose and power goals. I just purchased a "Banshee" turbocharger from him that will put me perfectly in the power goals that I am looking for and still give me good streetability with lots of mid range torque. Here is my build list so far:

Engine Block:
- Golden Eagle sleeves, 84mm bore, machined for copper o-ring
gaskets

- Skunk2 Alpha series H-beam rods w/ ARP 2000 hardware (purchased)

- Wiseco pistons, 84mm, .750" wrist pins (purchased)
- LS crankshaft, balanced and micropolished
- Golden Eagle block-off plugs for piston oil jets
- new OEM main bolts and bearings, OEM or ACL rod bearings
- Golden Eagle or Cometic 84mm head gasket

Engine Head:
- GSC Turbo stage 1 cams (purchased)
- GSC valve spring kit w/ titanium retainers (purchased)
- Ferrea 6000 series int. and ex. valves, stock dia. (purchased)
- viton valve stem seals (purchased)

- new OEM keepers
- new OEM lost motion assemblies

Turbo Setup:
- STC "Banshee" turbocharger w/ .63A/R turbine housing, ceramic
coated (purchased)
- Garrett 600hp intercooler, black anodized, 2.5" inlet and outlet
(purchased)

- STC oil feed and return kit, GT series water line kit (purchased)

- P-Fab tubular log manifold (A/C and P/S compatible)
- P-Fab 3" downpipe, dumptube
- GO-Autoworks 2.5" intercooler piping kit
- Tial 38mm wastegate
- HKS SSQV4 bov
- Skunk2 pro intake manifold

Fuel Management:

- Hondata S300 ecu package/base tune from Phearable.net
- South Bay Injectors 1200cc Honda fuel injectors (purchased)
- Walbro 255lph hp fuel pump (GSS-342) (purchased)
-B&M adjustable fpr (purchased)

Ignition:
- stock distributor setup
- new OEM cap and rotor
- Accel high performance internal ignition coil
- NGK high performance plug wires
- NGK plugs

Transmission/Drivetrain:
- ACT Xtreme pressure plate (purchased) w/ 6 puck sprung disc
- ACT pro street flywheel
- SpeedFactory shift change holder assembly
- MFactory or Quaiffe LSD
- Insane Shafts 500hp axles (purchased)
- new OEM bearings/seals
- Synchrotech carbon synchros (if needed)

This isn't everything, but should you a pretty good idea at least. I'm not in a big hurry to get the build done, as most of my time is spent being a husband and dad when im not at work, but I hope to have everything put together and ready for the dyno by the end of winter, beginning of spring.

As of now, I have the engine and transmission removed from the car, and have engine block stripped and the head partially stripped. I'll post pictures of the removal and disassembly Ive done so far in the next day or two. Please let me know your thoughts and any questions!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Way to go! Many teenagers dream about boosting their cars, but only a few accomplish it, eventually. I have a ton of respect for the ones who didn't give up. You carried this idea for 16 years! Not many people can be that patient. As we grow old, our priorities change, so do our goals and hobbies. It took me 10 years before I finally purchased first turbo part (exhaust manifold by Blox). Then another 4 years before the car was ready for the dyno. During that time even the most car-enthusiastic friends have decided to move on. And so their childhood dream has never materialized, and will forever remain as a never accomplished dream. Cheers to you! Way to go!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I guess you were 16 in your Sophomore year in 2002? Dam I'm old.....

I know allot of people that abandon in the middle of the project and ended up selling the parts and then selling the shell.. I'm one of those people that abandon my teg due to safety and security since 2009, but still kept it till this day but hidden from the public view.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Way to go! Many teenagers dream about boosting their cars, but only a few accomplish it, eventually. I have a ton of respect for the ones who didn't give up. You carried this idea for 16 years! Not many people can be that patient. As we grow old, our priorities change, so do our goals and hobbies. It took me 10 years before I finally purchased first turbo part (exhaust manifold by Blox). Then another 4 years before the car was ready for the dyno. During that time even the most car-enthusiastic friends have decided to move on. And so their childhood dream has never materialized, and will forever remain as a never accomplished dream. Cheers to you! Way to go!

Thank you, and congrats to you too for accomplishing your build goals as well! Glad there is someone else out there that's in the same boat as me!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess you were 16 in your Sophomore year in 2002? Dam I'm old.....

I know allot of people that abandon in the middle of the project and ended up selling the parts and then selling the shell.. I'm one of those people that abandon my teg due to safety and security since 2009, but still kept it till this day but hidden from the public view.

Yes, 2001-2002 was my sophomore year in high school. I'm starting to feel a little old myself. Hopefully you can get back to your build someday!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here are some pics from the engine/trans removal and tear down. The block is currently stripped and ready to be packaged up and sent out to Golden Eagle for sleeving. Hopefully I'll be able to get it shipped by the end of this week.

Engine and trans removed. Got the hoist from Harbor Freight for under $200. Seemed to work well, the hydraulics didn't even leak down at all. Took me about a week of casual wrenching a couple hours a night.

This is what the clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel looked like after close to 220k miles. Never been replaced before, and while it was at the very early stages of slipping, it was still completely driveable! Notice the groove in the pressure plate from the clutch disc rivets. LOL.

Engine all mounted up on the stand. Another Harbor Freight special, but works just fine for the size and weight of the engine.

A look inside the cyl. 1 exhaust port. The engine was starting to use/burn oil the last 30k miles or so, and you can see why. That ashy build-up around the valve stems is a result of failed valve stem seals leaking oil and getting burned off.

Engine with the wiring harness removed.

Cam journals had minor wear and discoloration. Not too bad for 220k miles of use and abuse.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's one hell of a build list! I can't wait to see this in action. Man that avatar picture looks mad familiar from back in the days. Is there going to be a return of the TI OG's?!?! lol

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's one hell of a build list! I can't wait to see this in action. Man that avatar picture looks mad familiar from back in the days. Is there going to be a return of the TI OG's?!?! lol
Thanks man, I want to make sure that I do this build right the first time. I'm trying to minimize any major "surprises" that come from boosting, especially at the power levels I'm going for. And I that would be awesome if some of the other OGs starting coming back around. I would love to hear their input on my build too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts