Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have improved upon my DIY "Icebox" CAI and I thought that I would share the details with everyone.

I initially designed the original DIY "Icebox" CAI using 3" thin-walled PVC, since this 3" is the diameter of the Comptech Icebox air inlet. I have been running this setup for about 5-6 years and have been very pleased with the performance. But since that time I have read many post (primarily on H-T) about the Mugen intake system.

The Mugen intake system volume is larger than the Comptech Icebox (as can be seen in picture below). The Mugen also uses a larger diameter airhorn (4") than the Icebox (3"). The Mugen also has better throttle response when compare to the Icebox.

This prompted me to look into designing an intake system that would use a 4” air inlet/airhorn. I purchased a used stock airbox, some 4” thin-walled PVC piping & elbows and a 4” airhorn (speaker port). The oval opening in the bottom of the airbox matches the diameter of the 4” PVC piping. So I needed a way to attach the PVC piping to the oval opening on the bottom of the airbox, I used a 4” flexible pipe connector (see picture below). The flexible pipe connector has a thin inner rubber connector and on the outside a thin flexible steel cover which has a worm-gear band on both ends.

Here are some pictures of the assembled intake.

Here are some pictures to compare the new intake design (right) to the old intake design (left).

Here are some pictures of the intake installed. You can also partly see the bracket that supports the intake tube near the elbow.

The new intake does have better throttle response when compared to the original intake. The engine is much more responsive and pulls harder, especially above 4-5k RPM. The improvement in performance between the original design and the new design is very noticeable.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
adikted2my92 on Oct/05/06 said:
damn that looks pretty sweet. so the bottom is open end and the filter is still in the air box?
The air filter is still in the airbox as originally designed. The only thing that is different is the restrictive resonator has been removed and a cold air extension has been installed to draw cooler air from the fender well.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
parts list please and where you purchased the stuff to make it. Awesome intake man!

·
Registered
982 Posts
It looks sexy! Where did you get those cool rubber connectors? I'll try this in the weekend! any cool unique sound it makes? or quiet and stealthy?

·
Registered
148 Posts
MR_GS-R on Oct/05/06 said:
parts list please and where you purchased the stuff to make it. Awesome intake man!

I would also like to know this! ^^^^

BTW- Are you worried about water forcing it's way in by means of air ram?

·
Registered
245 Posts
i cant see the pictures.. could you PM me a link or something to somewhere else i could see them? or maybe insert the pics in a PM??

this sounds like its pretty cool

1 - 20 of 329 Posts