Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To give some background on this specific integra.

This is a 1999 Integra it has a b18b1 engine non Vtec mated to an s4Xa tranny which is automatic.

I bought this off a guy who was the only owner for 1000 bucks and fixed it up with my brothers.

We rebuilt the engine. rebuilt the transmission, freshened up the bay and interior. New wheels and tires, new suspension, and a new paint job.

The car is great! But just one problem. Its not starting now...

It was running really good for the past year that i've owned it and now its not starting anymore.
Here is what I've done to try and remedy the problem.

1.New Distributor and re time.
2.New timing belt, new idler pully, and tensioner, and a re time.
3.New plugs and wires.
4.New IAC valve.
5.New Fuel pump relay.
6.New fuel pump.

None of this has worked.
We checked for compression while we were replacing the timing belt and it was good. I will re check it soon however to make sure.

We also checked for spark and all plugs are giving spark so its not ignition related.

Giving the car throttle on start doesnt help either so its not air related that I can tell, it doesnt even fire at all. It will crank like a champion but will not fire.

I am thinking it is a fuel pressure related issue but Im not sure. Im going to check fuel pressure soon as well.

At one point we thought it was the aftermarket security system giving us an improper ignition kill so we removed the system and it worked for 2 days and then went back to not starting which is confusing. The security system is 20 years old, a VIPER 300 Plus.

I also want to say that I do not know a whole lot about these cars, this is the first Honda I've ever owned and I love it very much but any questions or criticism is welcome.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Check the main relay, unless that's what you mean by "fuel pump" relay. Assuming that the new distributor came with a a new ICM and coil, the only other thing I can think of that is Integra specific is the A/T gear position switch and brake pedal switch, but I don't think the engine would crank if it were either of those. I'd double check to make sure your battery is good. Clean the terminals, make sure you don't have a cracked or loose lug. Is there a chance you have bad gas? Maybe a shot of starting fluid to see if it will run for a moment. I'd also take another look at things related to the alarm installation. Back in the late '90s they'd usually cut the ignition wire for starter kill, but maybe they did it differently. It can be pretty frustrating trying to figure out an issue like this. Best of luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information.

We just cleaned the terminals because they were corroded pretty bad. Nice and clean now!

My brother says he likes the idea of getting some starting fluid. We will try that out.

Going to check fuel pressure tomorrow. Will update this thread soon.

·
Registered
235 Posts
No problem. It might be worth trying to jump start or battery charge start it with the clean terminals. What made me think about the battery was that my wife's Jeep Wrangler had a "random hard start" symptom that caused me to look at the crank position sensor (common failure point on the 4.0) before I realized it was just a bad battery. Cleaning the corroded ground terminal improved it for a few days. For what it's worth, I think there is a crank TDC sensor on the Integra. I doubt it would fail before throwing a code, but it might be worth looking at the connector and wires to make sure they are intact. It's the only other thing that I can think of that could be critical for ignition that you haven't changed. I've had a couple of ****tails though, so I might not be 100% thorough right now 🍺;)

The link below has a diagram that will give you an idea of where it is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check the main relay, unless that's what you mean by "fuel pump" relay. Assuming that the new distributor came with a a new ICM and coil, the only other thing I can think of that is Integra specific is the A/T gear position switch and brake pedal switch, but I don't think the engine would crank if it were either of those. I'd double check to make sure your battery is good. Clean the terminals, make sure you don't have a cracked or loose lug. Is there a chance you have bad gas? Maybe a shot of starting fluid to see if it will run for a moment. I'd also take another look at things related to the alarm installation. Back in the late '90s they'd usually cut the ignition wire for starter kill, but maybe they did it differently. It can be pretty frustrating trying to figure out an issue like this. Best of luck.
If you have not found the issue try checking all the fuses in your fuse box. I do know one is for the fuel pump and it will crank all day long but will never start if it is popped.

·
Registered
42 Posts

This is a 1999 Integra it has a b18b1 engine non Vtec mated to an s4Xa tranny which is automatic.

I bought this off a guy who was the only owner for 1000 bucks and fixed it up with my brothers.

We rebuilt the engine. rebuilt the transmission, freshened up the bay and interior. New wheels and tires, new suspension, and a new paint job.

It was running really good for the past year that i've owned it and now its not starting anymore.

3.New plugs and wires.
4.New IAC valve.
5.New Fuel pump relay.
6.New fuel pump.

None of this has worked.
We checked for compression while we were replacing the timing belt and it was good. I will re check it soon however to make sure.

We also checked for spark and all plugs are giving spark so its not ignition related.

Giving the car throttle on start doesnt help either so its not air related that I can tell, it doesnt even fire at all. It will crank like a champion but will not fire.

I am thinking it is a fuel pressure related issue but Im not sure. Im going to check fuel pressure soon as well.

At one point we thought it was the aftermarket security system giving us an improper ignition kill so we removed the system and it worked for 2 days and then went back to not starting which is confusing. The security system is 20 years old, a VIPER 300 Plus.

I also want to say that I do not know a whole lot about these cars, this is the first Honda I've ever owned and I love it very much but any questions or criticism is welcome.

3.New plugs and wires.
4.New IAC valve.
5.New Fuel pump relay.
6.New fuel pump.

None of this has worked.

If you have not found the issue try checking all the fuses in your fuse box. I do know one is for the fuel pump and it will crank all day long but will never start if it is popped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello everyone. Thank you very much for the replies.

I tried a couple of things today with the help of my brother.

He suggested we 100% make sure that its getting spark- Good news is that it is getting good spark on all wires.

I was going to check fuel pressure today, but the kit that i own is not compatible with the integra so I bought an adapter- I will update again once I get the right adapter for it.

My next post I will have compression and fuel checked. So that will take care of the main problems. Fuel, Air, Compression, and Spark.

So far we know Spark and Air is good.

We also tried sparying carb cleaner to see if it would sputter at all but no luck suprisingly.

Also replaced the fuel filter just because why not one more thing to rule out.

So as of now 8/8/2020

We have-

1.Air

2.Spark

My brother also suggested that the ECU could be the problem which I didn't think about.

Also no check engine light either.

I will update when i check fuel pressure and compression

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello everyone.

So it turns out it im hoping was the simplest thing.

Today me and my brother checked compression on all the cylinders and they were all in spec and within good variation of eachother.

To preface this, I had purchased a spark checker which is basically a threaded piece of metal in a plastic housing the imitates a spark plug. Its to check spark on the wires.

We figured the spark plugs were fine since they were new so we didnt bother pulling them and just checked spark through the tool. Problem is this tool obviously isnt going to show you if the plugs themselves are working correctly.

Anyways, while we were checking compression my brother was examining the plugs and brought to my attention that there was terrible arcing on the ceramic upper of all the plugs.

Here are some pictures.

He suggested that these things were done for because of the arcing, not supposed to be this bad supposedly. We took a 5 minute drive down to Oreilly's and got new plugs iridium tipped because why not they're 30 bucks NGK. And dont worry I'm not an idiot i know plugs dont give me 500 horsepower :p

We put the new plugs in and the car started right up. However I'm still waiting to see if it starts doing this again because its been a habit with this thing that I replace one part and then it slowly starts getting worse again. I will update this thread if it starts doing it again but for now its fixed. My brother also obviously suggested next time i stop throwing parts at the car and actually test stuff first...... :LOL:

Thank you for the information everyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts

3.New plugs and wires.
4.New IAC valve.
5.New Fuel pump relay.
6.New fuel pump.

None of this has worked.

If you had not figured it out. You need to grounds attached to the motor from the chassis. 1 on the left and 1 on the right. you pick the spot, 12 gage wire.... close loop lug. If your solider the wire to the lug the better the ground. good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts