Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time for me to pass smog once again on my teg and its going to be close. The reason being is i have a built motor in with is 84mm(2.0L) and a port and polished head. I'm wondering if i can do one of two things:

1) Add another catalytic converter (would this break down the emissions any more then 1)

2) Move the current catalytic up higher in the exhaust (close to engine) to make it hotter from the gases.

As far as i know the only thing you can do is remove or alter the cat itself, but is it legal to add another? I was under the impression some cars have 3-4 catalytic converters on them for some reason.

Also is there a place i can test the sniffer emissions before i take it to a smog shop?

If anyone has any advice or suggestions on how to pass it would be appreciated.

BTW its a 94rs (OBD I) has 1,200 miles on a new engine and the intake/exhaust manifold are stock.

·
Registered
222 Posts
There are a bunch of low emissions vehicles. My fiance's car is a 2002 WRX and it has three cats. As for adding an extra one onto a car that originally didn't have that many, I'm not sure. I don't see why not..? I dunno though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You don't know anyone or a shop that would pass it for you? I don't pass emissions at all either, but I got mine passed. I would never do something illegal! No, never! ;x

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VitaminR on Feb/09/06 said:
You don't know anyone or a shop that would pass it for you? I don't pass emissions at all either, but I got mine passed. I would never do something illegal! No, never! ;x
I failed two years ago and now time up i have to go to a smog only station :(

·
Registered
222 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Feb/09/06 said:
It is illegal to remove a functioning OBD2 cat converter. I don't think it is illegal to remove an OBD1 cat converter though.

Check the EPA's website, and the CARB website.

Don't laws vary from state to state though?

Quote: TheFifthSpeed on Feb/09/06 Quote: VitaminR on Feb/09/06You don't know anyone or a shop that would pass it for you? I don't pass emissions at all either, but I got mine passed. I would never do something illegal! No, never! ;x

I failed two years ago and now time up i have to go to a smog only station :(

I have no idea what I smog only station is. Lol. Here in New Mexico we only have to do actually emissions testing, but only in certain counties. So happens I live in one that you have to get them. Grr. It's easy to find a shop that will pass you if you slip them a 20 though.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
VitaminR, that is an EPA law that applies in all 50 states. CARB is even stricter. It's illegal to remove OR modify it (such as gutting it to make it appear as if you have a cat).

Shops can legally remove your cat converter if you sign a form stating that you won't use the vehicle on public roads.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A smog only station just does smog check, nothing else so they are more strict then say a gas station that does smog checks. And it impossible for me to find a place to pass me here and i want to handle this whole smog thing legit.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
putting a second cat won't do you any good. cos 1, is further down, 2, if your first cat function peoperly, then second cat won't do anything.

your option 2 could be your best bet. or, try to wrap your header with heat insulator all the way before the cat.

and if your cat is very old, then replacing it with a new, good hiflow cat may help a lot as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
what are you using for tuning. cause you can lean it out like crazy.and make it tree friendly. drive it easy and as soon as your done retune it.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
TheFifthSpeed on Feb/09/06 said:
A smog only station just does smog check, nothing else so they are more strict then say a gas station that does smog checks. And it impossible for me to find a place to pass me here and i want to handle this whole smog thing legit.
They can legally perform a visual inspection I believe. If they see a non-factory cat, you must furnish them with a failed emissions test and receipt showing what you installed and who installed it.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote: TheFifthSpeed on Feb/09/06A smog only station just does smog check, nothing else so they are more strict then say a gas station that does smog checks. And it impossible for me to find a place to pass me here and i want to handle this whole smog thing legit.

They can legally perform a visual inspection I believe. If they see a non-factory cat, you must furnish them with a failed emissions test and receipt showing what you installed and who installed it.
Right now i have 1 cat on which is an oem. The only problem is i don't want to fail and have to re-take it so i want to make extra sure i pass the first time. Is it possible to go to a place and pay them to test it w/o sending results in?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
VitaminR, that is an EPA law that applies in all 50 states. CARB is even stricter. It's illegal to remove OR modify it (such as gutting it to make it appear as if you have a cat).

Shops can legally remove your cat converter if you sign a form stating that you won't use the vehicle on public roads.
r u sure bout that one as of jan. 1st 2006, ohio did away with the smog testing, n i pretty sure i dont got to have a cat

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
96integraG3 on Feb/09/06 said:
Quote: TheGSRGuy on Feb/09/06VitaminR, that is an EPA law that applies in all 50 states. CARB is even stricter. It's illegal to remove OR modify it (such as gutting it to make it appear as if you have a cat).

r u sure bout that one as of jan. 1st 2006, ohio did away with the smog testing, n i pretty sure i dont got to have a cat
How much does a house cost there? I think i need to move over there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've heard something a few years back about a two-stage catalytic converter which is supposed to further break down emissions. Maybe you could look into that. Not sure how expensive they are or if you could get one for an integra though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.