Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well its 2 in the morning and i just got back from breakin down on a highway where my car decided to just shut off, well my girlfrineds dad said it shut off cuz there wasnt any sparks, and he said the ignition coil was broke/messed up w/e........so now its pushed to the side of the road, where im hoping no one will even think of touching it

any thots or solutions of wut could be worng, it acts like its gonna start and it turns over then just keeps on turning, so idk if hes right or not

EDIT: it just hit 75,000 miles, so maybe a timing belt??

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
He could be right. It doesn't sound like the timing belt to me. And they rarely break at the end of their service period anyway. What would be the point of telling people they should replace a timing belt at a certain mileage where it is prone to breaking? That wouldn't leave drivers any leeway. You've gotta have a safety margin

It's probably an ignition problem. Your check engine light wasn't on, was it?

We're you having any acceleration issues before this? Any misfiring?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
There are a lot of threads on this topic... I should know, it happened to me a few years ago.

Mine died, would keep cranking and cranking but wouldn't start.

Engines need, air, spark, fuel.

1) Made sure my fuel pump was switching on (just listened for an audible clicking - I'm not sure if this is a definitive way to verify this, but it satisfied me). You do this by turning your car to the 2nd click, and listen for it)
2) Check for spark by using a tester with a bulb at the end of it because I didn't feel like doing the screwdriver trick.
3) Did a compression test that revealed that my compression wasn't that great, but was still within specification/deviation or whatever you call it.

My issue was no spark. Swapped out the coil & igniter for known working models that did no good. I had to swap out my whole distributor (Had one overnighted by distributor king for ~200), which did the trick. It seems that another sensor inside that distributor which isn't removable broke.

Good luck. I hate it when the car is down for the count.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.