Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this problem since I first got the car. When I first start the car up in the morning the idle shoots up to around 2000 and then bounces between 2000 and 1500. If you let the car sit long enough it will go down to about 1200 or 1300 but still doesn't go to normal idle and when you shift into reverse the whole car jolts very badly. Most of the time it only does this in the mornings but on occasion it will do it if the car has been sitting for several hours. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Your idle will always be higher when the engine is cold, thats to warm up the car faster and is completely normal. The bouncing may be caused by an IACV that needs cleaning... I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
1996 LS Manual Hatchback
2,509 Posts
totally normal, mine does it too, i had to clean out my IACV, and it still idles high to warm up the engine like it's supposed to but after letting it warm up for about a minute or two, it's fine and doesn't jolt when I throw it into reverse, dont just turn it on and drive away the second you do, with it still cold unless ur in a big rush

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welll...I know it will always be higher when it's cold...lol..it's just waay higher than it should be and bounces...which I don't think it should...But I'll try and clean the IACV and see if that helps..it just jolts so badly even after it's warmed up awhile...

·
Premium Member
1996 LS Manual Hatchback
2,509 Posts
yea try cleaning it and it should fix the bouncing, mine used to idle around 1500 but past few days it's been about a 10-20 degree drop in weather so it idles at 2000-2200 at startup and works it's way down to about 1000, if it still jolts after warm up and when you've been driving for a while and you're at a complete stop when you shift, then idk, might be something in your tranny

·
Registered
148 Posts
it could be your fitv. When they go bad they will screw up your idle when cold. make it surge. If you take off the little plate in the back of it you car srew it back in. Screw it all then way in then back it out like 1 turn. If you keep it all the way in your car will have a problem idling when cold. It will want to stall. This will work for awhile but it will back itself out again and you'll have to do it all over or if screwing it back in helps you know thats the prob and you can just buy a new one. PRICEY

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try these options and see what happens..if it keeps doing it or gets worse I might just take it to the shop. Cause I know something's not right...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Mine does the same thing, but it actually doesn't do the revving idle when it's cold, it does it when it's between cold & warm when I drive it for a while, shut it off for a half hour, then start it again. only does it once in a great while though. I'm not too worried about it. The 2000 rpm startup seems to be normal though. In cold weather, that's always what mine's gone up to until it gets a little warmer.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cleaned the IACV and it seems to have helped a good bit...we'll see as I drive it more. Just cleaned it Saturday afternoon.... Thanks everybody for all your help! You're great!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
if when its cold and it doesnt idle (ever) over 2000 rpms then ur fine, its normal but when its bouncing and hitting 2k or higher rpms, then ya vacuum or bad iacv..or fitv if u have one. mine bounces from 1000 to 1600 in the morning when its cold...then as soon as the temp needle hits the first line after the C..its at 900rpm the rest of the day...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.