Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above I have recently done a head build on my B18C1. Toda cams spec A, skimmed head, Mugen 2 layer HG, Skunk2 IM, ported ITR TB and Teg R ECU to run it, and its pulling really well too until I get it tuned.

Problem is its idling high when hot. 1000rpms, and if the headlights and interior fan are on it can go up to 1600rpm.

Now because of the high idle...how can I assure my ignition timing is set correctly as Honda ignition marks are based on a 750rpm idle. Would the extra few revs advance the ignition enough to make it incorrect if I set the timing based on a 1000rpm idle.

I have fully adjusted the IACV too so its at its minimum as far as idle adjusting goes.

Any help appreciated

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
If you can't get the car to run reliably at 750 RPM +/- 250 RPM for ignition timing (at 16 degrees BTDC), I would recommend getting at least a basemap of software on the car that allows you to adjust the idle speed to 1000RPM and match the ignition timing at 1000 RPM in the software to what you have on the car at that engine speed. Make sense?

Also, keep in mind, there is that 250 RPM tolerance slack. So first, I would try cutting out the headlights and fans and all other accessories that would load the car down. once you set the base ignition timing, the car will do the rest for you (if using a stock ECU setup). Honestly, the only way to test this is to drive it and see if you misfire. That will tell you very quickly if you need to adjust timing or if 1000 RPM is to high to tune the ignition.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you check for any vacuum leaks? I would assume that this is your issue. Double check all vacuum lines.

Im not sure if this is a pre-96' integra or not but I will assume that it is. Since the engine is up to operating temperatures, the FITV should have no affect on idle quality, assuming it is in good working condition. By plugging the IACV port in the throttle bore, the engine should cut out and die due to no air entering the engine. If the vehicle continues to run, plug the FITV port in the throttle bore while still plugging the IACV port. If the vehicle cuts out now, you can be positive that the FITV is the source of the un-metered air (vacuum leak). If the vehicle continues to run, you now know that there is a vacuum leak elsewhere (throttle body gasket, IM gasket, vacuum lines, etc...)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well guys turned out to be the tb sticking a little.Did not realise as the problem was intermitent. Had my vafc neo on throttle monitor and while stopped with foot off gas it was showing throttle pos of 0.6%.......so nipped that with some cleaning skills lol. still idles high with electrics on but for idle to set base timing the 750-800rpm was achieved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts