Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to figure out what type of ecu i have in my car. Ive searched and looked at all the articles and threads with no luck. The only info i have is that it is an OBD1 that is converted to my OBDII GSR. And that it is a Jun version...im guessing chipped. My question is how do i find out what type of ecu it is without the sticker on the side and no markings? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
There are a few things you can do to figure this out. Take off the top cover plate- is there a small board about 1/4 the size of the ECU thats screwed in upside down just below that top plate?? If so, that's the knock sensor board, and it's probably a p72.

Is it chipped? If so, you can pull the chip and read it...but that requires a ROM reader. This will not tell you what the ECU is exactly, because any OBD1 ECU can read any OBD1 program...what will help is seeing what features are enabled- IABs, ELD, etc.

Other than that, good luck. Why you need to know?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill check that out. I am just trying to go to a hondata and i wanted to know what type of ecu it is because of it base maps. as ive been reading up and people say there are better obd 1 ecus to start tuning hondata on.

i bought the car off someone that had thrown it in their and never told me what type it was just that it was jun haha.

·
Banned
2,139 Posts
Considering you can pretty much load any basemap on a Hondata ecu, the only thing that matters is that it's a VTEC OBD1 ecu. If your tuner is good with the soldering, they can even convert Auto ECUs to manual and Non VTEC ECUs to VTEC. It really doesn't matter. The ECUs of choice are usually p28 & p72 for VTEC. The main diff between the 2 being that the p72 has a knock sensor. I'm not sure if the p72 has any influence on the dual stage intake besides timing and fuel. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the intake secondaries vacuum operated?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The knock sensor was one of the main things that i was concerned about. that was really my only concern for knowing the difference other than for my own piece of mind. the base maps i was only concerned with for beginning to tune and for the ride to the dyno.

the gsr secondaries are operated off vacuum so they arent affected other than needing to tune for the secondaries opening and for when vtec engages. ill also be switching to a skunk manifold so it wouldnt be a concern.

thanks for all the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.