Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody, i was just wondering if anyone out there know's what i-vtec is, or what it does, and is there a big difference between i-vtec, and vtec??

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
i-vtec = Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control w/ Intelligence.

that's all i know, sorry

·
Registered
476 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong.. but this is what the dealer guy at honda said.. instead of having vtec kick in at a certain rpm... like normal vtec.. it has "instant responses" which helps create both low-rpm and high rpm response.. i guess its instant when you put the pedal to the metal? i dunno.. but thats what the dealer guy said..

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
This should answer everything.

http://asia.vtec.net/article/k20a/

In a nutshell, it's like a cam gear for the intake cam which continually adjusts cam timing throughout the RPM range to achieve the best possible powerband.

RSX= VTEC on intake cam. VTC on intake cam
RSX Type S= VTEC on both intake and exhaust cams. VTC on intake cam.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
infinitely variable only on the intake cam (cam lift, duration, and timing advance varies with engine load at any rpm at any time). the question is if you get an adjustable manual cam gear on the exhaust cam, what will happen as you advance or retard the exhaust cam? will the computer still fix a specific overlap or will that mess up the VTC's reference points?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Tuning seems like it would be an interesting endeavor. I've wondered what it would take to alter the VTC's operation enough to be able to fine tune with it with the fixed exhaust cam timing taken into consideration as well.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
of course i-vtec...but they certainly did make it harder to tune for performance...for now.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Too much "computer control"? FYI, the import community consists of people wear visors and drive cars with body kits.

Keep in mind, which has been around longer, the B or the K? THE B!!! B/c of that we have more information on the B series motors. Give it some time (or hell, maybe you can get up off your ass and research the topic) and the VTC reference points will be found out, etc etc. Adjusting cams to a correct LSA and crank degree while still having the correct reference point will be no problem.

on another note, I have yet to see "the import community" really even get higher than the basic knowledge and how-to for B-series engines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts