Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I installed my DC 4-2-1 header, I noticed a lot of underhood heat. The strut bar was too hot to touch, and the intake tube would be almost as hot. It was negitively affecting performance, especially on a very very hot day when I went to the track.

Well, I solved the problem today... My intake tube is now only slightly warm after driving around a bit (and it's also warm outside). The strut bar is too hot to touch on the driver's side, but much cooler on the passenger's side (the side that my little mod is).

All it took was four 3-inch diameter PVC "elbows"... it takes air from the airdam and blows it at the intake filter. So now more air gets to the intake and it's much cooler too.
The elbow that's in the airdam was a tight fit due to the horn, but I just loosened the bolt and rotated it towards the radiator a little. Smaller PVC would probably fit better, but I needed 3-inch for my future plans with this. Here's some pics:

The black part is just regular PVC that I spray painted with black primer, but the stuff I used was cheap and it's coming off.

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
cool

·
Registered
206 Posts
you can also use 3" dryer ducting as well, works great! I have a homemade ram air like what you have and it works great!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I had the dryer ducting running up to my short intake and it was decent. Eventually, the aluminum will rip up. But now i have the CAI on there and its great.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
That is a great idea. I did a similar thing in my teg. I used a piece of hose from the drain gutters in my appartment complex though. lol

Your idea is better though. Mine just goes straight down. I need to get a scoop like yours on there. Maybe I'll tear that out and do it your way. :) Great idea on that! Short ram air intakes look great in the engine bay, but there is that issue of them getting too hot. That is a great solution.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Pretty cool. I like that idea. Maybe you could take some pics and write up a quick article on how you did it, what materials, etc.

My engine bay can use some cooling. Running aftermarket headers combined with 110+ summer Phoenix heat = my underhood temps are hotter than hell.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jngrbrdman: yeah, I was thinking about buying some of that flexible stuff at Home Depot, but I decided to try PVC even though I didn't think it would fit. PVC seems to flow pretty well and it's strong. It also stays in place really well for this application.

BlueTeg: Yeah, I'd be willing to take more pics and write up instructions. In fact, I'll have a good opportunity to take more pics pretty soon... I'll be pulling off the wheel-well liner again to drill a small drain hole in the PVC (so water can't get stuck at the lowest point), and I'll probably put a little screen on it to keep bugs and miscellanous stuff out of the engine bay (*lots* of bugs here).

I'm also thinking about building a box around the short ram's filter and connecting the PVC to inside that box, so it'll be an actual ram air setup. The power gains from what I've done so far are nice, but I bet there's more to be gained.

·
Registered
24 Posts
what is that thing on the end. instead of drilling a hole in the lowest end couldnt u fit an aem bypass valve on the throttle body side? also i made a box out of fiberglass and wrapped it in AC conductor tape. The fiberglass weighs nothing and keeps out heat, and the tape reflect radiant heat also. just wrap it really good, so no fiberglass gets in the filter.

click for pics of intake

·
Registered
184 Posts
don't get me wrong this is a good idea for cooling but what about when its raining or something and you're going moderately fast and it's throwing a bunch of water into your engine bay at your air filter, drive carefully, heh...I'll probably do something like this cause i never drive in the rain but you never know, it's just something to think about...

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Its good to keep that in mind p3s7, but I don't see rain flying into the tubing, and actually climbing up the vertical area of the tubing into the air filter. My guess is maybe it will create a small pool at the bottom of the piping opening, but there is no vaccum so the water won't get sucked up the tubing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts