Team Integra Forums banner

I need strip advice (Results from advice)

6K views 58 replies 23 participants last post by  ZOOYOST 
#1 ·
I have read most of threads here on drag racing tips. I am looking for anything else that may help my tipes ie... shift points and what not. I have tried 28-32 psi, launching between 2500 and 3000, and feathering the clutch at launch. Also I mostly shift around 7800rpm.

My first day is as follows

60ft1/4 mile

Secound day is as follows

60ft1/4 mile

I have a 98 GSR with header, high flow cat and EVO2 catback. I know I need practic. That is why I am going back this friday for one last run before the track closes for the season. Should I feather the gas and not then clutch?

Any tips would be much appriciated. Thanks

See less See more
#29 ·
You have to have the windows up

I get a little wheel hop or bog down when I dont feather the clutch, or when I do feather it I think I might do so too much.

Practice Practice Practice I guess. Witch is deff something I will enjoy.

#30 ·
my times are very bad but i only gone to the track twice so i dont expect anything amazin but wouldnt featherin thew clutch be kinda bad for it ? im just wonderin cuz if it aint terrible on it ill def try it

#31 ·
There is alot of good advice in this thread. Having said that, I would make a checklist and keep going down the list and keeping track of my improvements on the strip, rather than overwhelm the situation and try 20 different things at once.

Knowing what works, how well it works, and what doesn't work is worth the effort, especially if you want to shave 2 seconds off of your 1/4 mile times.

#33 ·
You know on test and tune you dont have to go when the light turns green. Your reaction time doesnt have anything to do with your 1/4. So if you feel rushed just calm down and take your time to make sure your launching at the right rev and doing the clutch thing right.

#35 ·
Zooyostyou time probably would have been about 2/10ths faster if you would have been alone... depending on how much your friend weighs..100lbs at the speed we are going is 1/10 in the 1/4mile!!!

anyway back on topic... this year i have been going to PIR every weekend it was open...both friday and saturday nights .... i keep every run i do...at the end of the season i counted 315 total runs!!!!my 94 gsr with I/H/E and untunned blox IM is a very consistant 14.8/14.7 @92-93.7mph.... my best time so far is 14.647@93.48mph 2.23 60ft.... my best 60ft right now is 2.137..

now what info i can give you from my personal experence is......
1. drop tires down to 15-20 psi....i do my runs at about 17psi works great for me...

2. i dont care what anybody else says about doing a burnout on street tires...i do it and when i dont my 60ft times are worse!!!! believe me they are....not a whole lot but enough to make a difference...

3. when you stage up you first light up the top lights (pre-stage) now when you go to light up the bottem lights (Stage) try and do it as slow as possible so that you move the smallest ammount just so you it up.....there are 8 inches between the pre-stage lazer and the stage lazer... so the further you go the faster it is to pass the line.... im bad at explaing this but bare with me here... think of it like thisyou get a slight head start before you cross the lazerso your 60ft is a tad better.... i know its hard to believe but it worked for me....

4. Launching is like everything...it may be hard to believe but i dump my clutch at 4800rpm!!!! and thats where my sweet spot is the car doesnt boog or spin to much it spins just enough to keep the rpms moving upsoyou need to find out where your sweet spot is...easiest way for me was to start high and go down from there...if the other car leaves before you are ready dont worry leave when you are ready...remember your time doesnt start untill pass the lazer!!! you could have a 1 minute reaction time and still run a 14 sec pass!!!! if you find it hard to stage up and find where you want your rpm's are then (pre-stage) rev your engine to your desired rpm slip the clutch a tiny but just so you move forward to light up the (Stage) lights and stop using your e-break...

all those help me alot...seat time is where it is...another is look at how much gas you have in your takn...never go with more that a half a tank...Gas weighs 7lbs per galon it does make a slight difference if its full...i dont know maybe im getting to technical but they work for me....tires is another thing to look at...i have Toyo Proxis 4...they kick ass....really grip good... another thing to consider what size rims do you have?? i had some 16in Rota C8'sand well when i changed to the 15in Subzeros i have now my 1/4 time went down about 2/10ths...there are so many variables there is almost to many to list...but i hope what i have said helped...

#37 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys I think it really helped me at the track Friday.

I found right around 20 psi to be a good number and doing a burn out (may or may not have helped but did it anyway due to cold track) then launched at 4k.

Also I went out with less than a half tank of gas the other two days I had 3/4 to a full tank. That was a big help I am sure and someting I may not have thought about without it mentioned here.

Finaly I gutted my rear interior.

Here is how I did.

60ft1/4 mile
1st2.71216.175 missed 3rd
2nd2.57415.686
3rd2.47115.646
4th2.43616.056 missed 3rd
5th2.52515.832
6th2.36015.813 missed 3rd
7th2.47815.812
8th2.52815.984 missed 3rd

I think I still need a little work on 60 ft times but I am blaming that on bad track conditions. 2 or 3 nights in a row before race day it was in the mid to upper 30's at night with highs in the 60's, and that night was cold and damp. Not very good conditions for drag racing. Lets just say I was scrathcing 2nd on every run which I didnt do on the other 2 nights. If track conditions would have been better and I wouldnt have missed 3rd so much I think I would have been near 15.4 on my 6th run.

Cant wait for next season to practice some more. Thanks again for all the help and reccomendations.

#44 ·
I have a weapon R header, carsound high flow cat and, evo2 cat back. Those are my only mods for now.

I have the stock blades wraped in some bridgestone potenza G 009's. They were on there when I bought the car

And yes I know I need alot of practice that is why I am taking drag racing classes at the local track next year.

#45 ·
Something is wrong with your car. my old 100% (paper filter) will go down the track at ~93 mph consistently. Also, I ran at 15.1 - 15.2 pretty consistently in HOT Florida summers.

#46 ·
leoaa777 on Oct/16/07 said:
Something is wrong with your car. my old 100% (paper filter) will go down the track at ~93 mph consistently. Also, I ran at 15.1 - 15.2 pretty consistently in HOT Florida summers.

well seems like to me that your times arent consecutive with your mph... i average between 91-93.5 mphand the times go from 15.0-14.6....a hot day will yield better track results.. your 60ft times are much better from my experence!!!.. so either you cant get good 60ft times and you are spinning alot!! or that 93 mph trap speed you are talking about isnt 100% correct... 100% stock and running a 93mph trap speed?? i dont know man hard to believe....especially in a hot flordia day....

#48 ·
got-integra on Oct/16/07 said:
I have a weapon R header, carsound high flow cat and, evo2 cat back. Those are my only mods for now.
all that exhaust work and no intake system???

man you dont need to take drag racing classes.... the best thing you could do is get more seat time!!! i mean unless the drag racing courses are free...seat time is everything!!!

#51 ·
gringotegra on Oct/16/07 said:
Quote: got-integra on Oct/16/07I have a weapon R header, carsound high flow cat and, evo2 cat back. Those are my only mods for now.

all that exhaust work and no intake system???

man you dont need to take drag racing classes.... the best thing you could do is get more seat time!!! i mean unless the drag racing courses are free...seat time is everything!!!
and i think even with an intake, gsr cams arnt agressive enough so an intake wont do much unless u put like a ctr cam in it... just take the top of ur intake box off.. and get a decent filter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.