Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
So i have the aem ems for my car and apparently the ems has a problem with the ingition system...splendid. At any rate, so i need a cam trigger. Does anyone have one....like a t1...or can anyone give me a few different options? T1 is the only decent one i can find so far....

thanks for the help!

-ryan

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
you dont need a cam trigger.. you WANT a cam trigger... because you dont wanna fix your ignition problem.

why not fix the issue, instead of throwing money at it?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually....my ignition is fine.
To run an aem ems effectively on a honda...you need to run a cam trigger, because the aem ems sometimes does not pick up on the stock ignition...and required the cam trigger to throw a more power signal.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
^^Agreed. If you're going to buy a cam trigger, are you also going to buy a Motec system? might as well...

Exactly as Jameel said: fix the ignition system. A cam trigger is simply adding to the complexity and not knowing exactly what is going on.

Can you be more specific on this "ignition system", or have you just read that a lot of AEM users are having issues, and that they stem from OEM Honda sensors/systems?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea its not a problem with the oem honda sensors its a problem with the AEM engine management. I was thinking about selling it and buying hondata...but i already have the AEM...i dunno. But my ignition system is fine...it is simply an issue with aem ems sometimes not collaborating well with the oem honda sensors.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
All a cam tigger will do is help with low idle and high rpms, if you are having IGN issues it is most likely something else. Also are you tuned, or have you change anything lately?

Also you will have to open your AEM box and move parts around if you get the trigger. The T1(cam tigger) is what most people use, MSD makes a Crank tigger.

Not really just AEM, honda sensor just have a lot nosie for standalones that like no nosie

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
timeout. i am NOT having fckin ignition problems. My ignition is fine. I just dont want to install my AEM EMS with the stock honda ignition and have it misfire. That would not make my day. I understand it makes noise that the EMS doesnt like...hence getting the cam trigger. Aem has more problems than other ems'.

·
Registered
479 Posts
he is right about the aem ems. the stock honda signals get a little fuzzy and it definately tends to cause tons of ignition problems.

when we reach that point, we usually go ahead and upgrade to a cdi, and crane coil as well as a cam trigger. i would try the cam trigger first by itself.

shameless plug, my cam trigger/gear is for sale, pm me if you want more info

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Get an MSD 7 series ignition system and a HVCII coil. The AEM is fine with the stock sensors. Ive not once had an ignition problem that was the AEM's fault. It was either a bad coil or the ignitor was going out. The stock ignitors go out frequently on turbo motors. Mainly because of heat in the engine bay. Ive ran the AEM on stock boosted cars and ran them on high HP track only cars with stock ignition systems and like I said never had a problem that was an ignition part going out. I think all these high rpm breaking up misfire problems that people are having. Is because they cant do simple diagnostics on an ignition system and just blame it on the AEM like most other problems. Most people also like to run spark plug gaps way bigger then what the stock ignition system can handle on a boosted application. If you go with a MSD 7 or higher series ignition system and a good quality HVC II coil you wont have any weak spark issues. Its gonna cost about the same as the T1 trigger setup but you will still be on the stock ignition and that is where your problem lies. Not in the "fuzzy" ignition signals.

Now im not saying a hall effect sensor isnt better then a mag pick sensor. It beats it anyday of the week. But I dont see the point for most people to spend a few extra thousand dollars on a ignition crank trigger setup when doing something with the stock system can be just as effective it things are done correctly and the AEM EMS is in the right hands.

Sal

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yea thats just for the trigger kit. then you need an ignition system. Unless you want a great cam signal with a completely stock ignition system. one was around 550whp and the other was 660whp or so. Give or take depending on who's dyno and how much power they are using at the track on a given day.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Underpressure02 (on honda-tech) is make over 600hp without cam trigger

but everyone over 800hp is using one

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so what should i do? I talked to jeff evans...and he says simply running the cam trigger will work fine...he says it is all the ems needs to pick up a clean signal and run the stock ignition...mike says the same...any other comments? I think i will do it because its not worth blowing my engine because i wanted to skimp 600 bucks.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
If Evan's is tuning it I would get it, just becuase you want to keep you tuner happy.

I have been 3 years now without one, only race the car. But I was looking to get one this winter do to a stalling issue I have been having lately.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
the t1 cam trigger is more than proven to be great it is even endorsed by motec now. save yourself the hassel and just get one.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea....okay. I think im going to get it to keep evan's and myself happy lol. It s a 5 hour trip to get my car tuned to begin with.

Anyways, i apprecaite all the input.
Thanks guys.

Ryan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.