Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...I just lost my main key to my teg. I had a spare that came with it but i think it's a valet key. It wont open the trunk. Is there a chip inside these keys? Cause I might need to go to acura for them to make me one with just my VIN #. What you think?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
INFINITI.941 on Aug/07/02 said:
I got not one but TWO copies of my key for the cost of the keys... spent less than $10 at the dealer. They had to look up the key code by VIN.
what year teg? or are they all the same? cause mine was the fat key. hehe.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
yep, they are treansmitter keys, 98+ they started in with them. So if your car is older than that it wont be too expensive. from 98 and up your looking at about $30 per key. :::Hillside Acura Parts Counter Person:::

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
His 2001 Integra definitely has the transmitter keys. However, 1998 didn't have them. I think they started using them for the 2000 model year.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
knavekid on Aug/07/02 said:
His 2001 Integra definitely has the transmitter keys. However, 1998 didn't have them. I think they started using them for the 2000 model year.
yeah, i must be thinking of GM

·
Registered
273 Posts
you have to go to the (i think) dealership your car came from. it cost me 5 bucks. it worries me that they have a key just laying around that opens my car. also i have a 96 so it should be around the same price.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
ah, i knew the chipped keys are expensive, but i didn't know when they started that

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
That's the scary thing about Hondas. You can take the VIN to any Honda Dealership and they can cut you a key right there on the spot. That is why its a really good idea to put a black piece of paper over the visible VIN on your dash that shows through the windshield.

My 97 Mustang had a chip in the key. I hated that. If I lost my keys I would be screwed. A locksmith could get me back in my car but ain't God getting that car started without the key. I started keeping the second chiped key hidden inside the car just in case. I pulled up the carpet a bit and hid it underneath. ;)

There is a dude selling a pretty cool key copy down in the For Sale forum. I have the same key. Its just a normal key but it has a little metal plate that says Integra Type R on it. Not because I have a Type R though. I'm just paying tribute to a great car. ;) Its a good key to get a copy of though. Spices up your key ring a bit.

My 99 GSR doesn't have a chipped key. Good thing too. The Ford dealership told me that coppies of the chipped key were like 30 bucks apiece. Not something that I would want to pay very often, that's for sure.

Cover up your VIN and go to the dealership. They can cut one for you. Bring your registration with you too. Hopefully they are going to ask you for it. If they don't then I'd report them to Honda USA. There have been a lot of Tegs and Civics stolen because the stupid dealerships just cut a key for anyone with a VIN.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
When you do replace the key get a few copies made at Home depot. The chip thing didn't start till 2000. Anything before then will just be a normal key that anyone can copy for you. Don't pay the dealer for that.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well...i just paid $40.26 for a dam chipped key!!! Now I need my Code Alarm remote!!! Im so mad! lol

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Its not a rule that they cut keys without ID, but they have been known to do it. Its one of the reasons that Tegs are always on the most stole list though I'd bet.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
so my friend is buying a 2000 LS at an auction and it doesnt have keys so he will have to get one made, the dealer will do it for a 2000 integ for like $50 right? just want to make sure he doesnt get screwed. and ya hes getting the title and registration in his name as well. jw thx!

·
Registered
831 Posts
My girlfriend got a key for her teg at our local Acura dealer for free. Go figure. I've got a JDM ITR key from inlinefour.com

1 - 20 of 28 Posts