Team Integra Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
MorningZ on Aug/12/02 said:
i test drove a Type S and loved it.. but in my heart though, i'd want it a bit "meaner".. the 200 HP is delivered "too" smoothly for my taste

probably doesn't make much sense
I agree! I test drove a type-s last weekend. I barely felt the rush until I looked down at the tach--7K rpm! In my low-tec
LS, it screams like an angry beast when I get over 4K rpm... I prefer the noise!

·
Registered
480 Posts
My mind is changed about the GSR. I own one and like the car. I have driven the RSX, I find it to be better than the GSR in stock form for a few things:

steering response
tighter gearing
better brakes

it has an 86x86 bore and stroke which is great for TQ, however the car is heavier than the GSR, so it doesnt feel like a 2L would in a GSR. Granted, the gearing in the RSX is superior to the GSR... this makes it take to MODS very well also. Granted.

a 160/118 to the wheels in a GSR racing with a Type-S for times by the same driver will look like this:
averaged times for 3 runs in each car will show you the Type-S WILL get beaten off the line, however will walk the GSR in third gear and not look back. This is due to the GEARING.

My friend has a GSR with I,H,E
Koni Yellows, stock rims with dunlop sp8000s
Fastbrakes Spec R 11" upgrade up front with OEM honda stuff (not pretty but effective)w/axxis ultimates
Comptech 22mm Rear Swaybar Kit
and we just put in the JDM 98+ ITR tranny.

HANDS DOWN THIS CAR IS AWESOME.

It accelerates
It stops
It corners
It is HAPPY

This is my next mod, then comes more power for me. His GSR spools FASTER than a Civic Si and has the TQ to
back it up. once this car gets some ITR cams it will easily run away from RSXs, ITRs, S2000 and want to play with the NSXs of this world. Having the helical cut LSD in there is a joy to drive, the low gears tear into the pavement and the cornering capacity and stability of the car is MUCH improved.

He bought his car for $12K with a salvaged title @ 15K
it has 53K now.
spent @ $500 on the brakes
spent @ $1700 on 2 sets of z rated tires and suspension
spent @ $700 on I,H,E
spent @ $500 for ITR rear wing and front lip
spent @ $2500 on the tranny/clutch/flywheel and all the stuff for his 60K service, $200 for the labor involved to work in my mech buddy's garage and him ot oversee the job.

Total that up, he has been very fortunate with his car. $18100 for a car that owns the RSX-S for sheer performance, using mainly HoNDA stuff. His insurance costs him $110 a month also... not bad considering he will be 25 soon.

The car might not be the prettiest GSR on the road, but I DOUBT if you can catch this car that you will be
able to stay with him. It can always be repainted! The moral to this story, newer isnt better. Do your homework and learn how to do your own work and the car gods may choose to bless you.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't know about you, but the rsx-s is fast, it hangs with my R. Got plenty of torque, jumps off the line, yes it is quiet in stock trim when vtec kicks in, my friend recently got an injen intake for it, when vtec kicks in, sounds just like my R. that sh*t hails ass. IT is quick, don't doubt that. The car ranges from 165-172 HP to the wheels, now those figures are fairly close to the Type R, if not more than the R. B Series engines are 12 year old technology motors. Come on now, its been the same for the past 12 years. I mean old things can go so far, the K series is much stronger and bigger, better vtec technology as a fondation for this new era.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't know if i'd say its better vtec technology, more economical maybe at most. All the dominant race teams that run honda's/acura's(i.e. realtime,spoon) are converting the i-vtec's to vtec. Not sure how they are doing it but i heard that they were...now if its so much better than the old then why would they do this.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
12 years old? chevy STILL uses the 350ci, 5.7l v8 engine.. its alot older than 12 years.. that 12 years means that it has been perfected, and i-vtec wont be perfected for a long time to come..

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Is there really that much difference between the 1994 GS-R engine and the 2001 GS-R engine? How much have they changed during this period in the name of perfection?

As far as gen4 i-VTEC is concerned, the main differences from the gen3 VTEC is the capability to vary the intake cam index and more sophisticated engine control. This is said to improve everyday driveability while maintaining high end performance. There's not really much difference between the operation of gen4 i-VTEC and gen3 VTEC within the power band.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
i drove a friends base rsx, and i will say my ls pulled harder through the rpm range than the rsx. the rsx made more power at top end but it just cancelled itself out with my ls making more power at bottom end. i even think the rsx had a 7000 redline, but i dont remember. plus the ls is alot louder from 4k and up, the rsx is way quite.....

·
Registered
480 Posts
there is a difference with the 94-95 gsrs and 96-01 gsrs. the newer cars are a bit more tame and the suspension seems to sway alot more. there is a 99 and
a 95 in my family and I can say this with confidence. the engine was always tight in the 95, even with 148K.
it is at this point unfair to compare my car to it in its
current state, however the suspension in this thing is totally stock and it is very sure of itself where my 99 would roll like a kayak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I traded my 01' GSR in on an 02' RSX-S almost a year ago and I have no regrets at all. I ended up loosing maybe 4.5k since I traded my 96' 200SX in on the GSR and then traded the GSR (even) on the RSX-S. I owned almost exactly what the value of the GSR was at the time due to the previous trade in.

I definetly like the RSX interior much much better then the GSR (besides the lack of the arm rest). The interior lighting being all red at night is so sweet and the seats are very nice.

The quickness of the two cars are fairly close, but the RSX-S is a bit faster. The only mods I have done to either car was an Injen SRI. The Injen on the GSR sounded deeper when the second intake valve opened, but the RSX sounds mean when the VTEC x-over hits.

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Also, if you guys want a loud car, just stick a ricey exhaust on it and you're set. Sounds like some of us are little rice boys at heart!Power is power whether its loud or not. And you want your car to be jerky? The low end of the GSR is weak! Just plain weak! The RSX uses i-VTEC to try and help this out and you guys don't want it... something's wrong here!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Every one can argue this way or that but in then end it all comes down to personal choice. I love my ITR but I do see that the K20 will be the next big wave. As of now I would rather have a GSR then a Type-S but in a year or 2 would probley rather have a S once full after market support is there and parts are available at junk yards ect. Now would I rather have an S instead of my ITR hell no but if I can afford the RSX-R when it gets here you can count me in.

·
Registered
480 Posts
better to be at the top of a wave than when it is still a ripple... the first real rumbling of this ride (K20) was hondata.com announcing thier first program for it... 200 to the wheels with ECU tuning, intake, direct distributorless iginition and STOCK EXHAUST... still the B series wave is very much rising and far from shore.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts