Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove an RSX Type-S and I almost sh*t myself. It really feels more refined, I love six speed, and that I-Vtec has to be felt (and heard) to beleive. I personally love the cars looks (especially the rear end/tailights). In the back of my mind I know have this idea that I might do a full service and certification on this GS-R i just got and love alot, and do a trade in to a dealer I know that upon talking to offered me a great trade-in deal (Unmodded GS-Rs are rare around here, and get snatched up quick as hell, I know It took me forever to find one, and had to drive 100 miles to get it!). This is just something im considering right now, so I wanted to get some feedback from anyone that has an RSX on whether it would be worth the cash difference I would pay in the trade in.
Thnx

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
my friend has a Type S and they arent as bad ass as everyone thinks. At the track he ran 15.7 as his best time, totally stock. There were 4 other RSX type s's out there that day all running high 15's, the only thing that did kinda well was one with intake header exhaust, ran a 15.2. This is the same track that I ran a 15.2 at STOCK in my 95 GSR. Maybe it was a case of 5 bad drivers...he wouldnt let me run it. After seeing that display of these 5 cars I lost a little respect for the RSX, even though it is a nice car. Just for reference I ran a 14.8 w/o nitrous and 13.8 with...Then I melted the third cylinder

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I sold my bone stock '98 GS-R with 37K miles in May to buy my RSX Type-S. I sold the GS-R for $14,100 and paid $24K out the door (including 6% sales tax) for the Type-S.

It ended up costing me $10K to go from a 1998 GS-R to a 2002 RSX Type-S. It would have cost me $13K if I traded in my GS-R as the dealer wouldn't go over wholesale on a trade.

I thought $10K for a 4 year newer car plus the luxuries and performance of the RSX Type-S was worth it.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
i test drove a Type S and loved it.. but in my heart though, i'd want it a bit "meaner".. the 200 HP is delivered "too" smoothly for my taste

probably doesn't make much sense

·
Registered
156 Posts
MorningZ on Aug/12/02 said:
i test drove a Type S and loved it.. but in my heart though, i'd want it a bit "meaner".. the 200 HP is delivered "too" smoothly for my taste

probably doesn't make much sense
makes total sense to me. my friend drives a brand new 02 civic si and he's let me drive it numerous times. well considering my car is bone stock, i figured it would be a good comparison from a 170hp 00 gsr to the 160hp civic. i didn't think the 10 hp would make THAT much of a difference considering the si has just a little more torque to balance it out some. (remember both cars are STOCK cept for an air freshener in mine). both cars have nearly the same weight. anyway, back to the story...
so i've tried out the si many times now with it's i-vtec engine. it's very nice, it handles the vtec transfer SUUUPER smooth. it's not like a power jump like my car tends to have. when downshifting from 5th to 3rd in the si, the kick isn't as strong as with the gsr. it never feels like you get the full juice of power as i do when i downshift in my gsr. and from what i hear the rsx is the same way. i-vtec was developed to smoothen out the power balance in varying speeds. when i first drove the si, i hit redline and didn't even feel like i was putting any pressure on the car whereas when i drive the gsr, you can kinda feel like you're pushing it whenever you get around 7k rpms. maybe i'm just talking out of my ass but the i-vtec engines run just a little too smooth for my taste... but damn they're still fun :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
wow your friend is the first person i heard about buying the new SI. i havent even seen one of them on the road yet. maybe because it looks like a fat frog.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i've actually seen about 4 or 5 02 si's here in my area. not to mention at a car show called Super Tuner Night that went on last weekend, there was a real jdm righ hand drive 02 civic type r.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I vtec is too smooth for me.. my friend brought over a type-s he was gnna trade his beamer for it.. he drove me around, sure it felt fast, and I loved it.. (this was before I ever even thought about an integra) then the first time I drove my teg, I was inlove.. even the non-vtec feels more fun than the rsx.. Plus I dont like the looks of the rsx.. Id keep the gsr dude.. rsx's always have chicks driving them..

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If you're going to replace your Integra, don't trade it at the dealer; you're going lose a lot of money...
You're going to get a lot more money for your GSR from a private sale. I'll promise you that. Also, because the Integra/RSX have such great resale values, they're good cars to lease.
I'm leasing my GSR with a nice option to buy. Leasing and buying at the end, was considerably cheaper than financing for 4 years. Go figure. I pay 268 a month (for 36 months) and then owe Honda Finance Co. $10K at the end of the lease (my lease was calculated at 200.00 over invoice @ .09%APR).

When leasing, try to keep this in mind:

If the Monthly payment X number of months + buyout comes out to near MSRP, you're doing ok. Also, there's no need for a downpayment. That's just a bunch of crap, especially if you have decent credit.

The key with leasing is depreciation. You pay for depreciation, nothing else. Another thing to take into consideration is the "cost of money". Money loses .12% of it's value every year. So if you owe 10K at the end of your 3 year lease, that's really only like owing 9k. Just something to think about...

Also, if you know what you want, don't even show up to the dealer - just email or phone the bastards. Send out the same "request for quotation" to 5 or 6 dealers. Tell them YOUR terms and what you're looking for and MAYBE you'll get back to them. Trust me, that's the way to do it - if they know that you have competition, you'll win.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Here's the kind of thing you see all the time:
2002 Honda Civic: buy for 13K or lease for just 250 a month! 250 a month sounds like a deal, right???

Then you see the small print:

250 for 48 months, 1000 security deposit, 2000 down, 800 acqusition fee. Buyout after 4 years: 8K

If you figure this, you end up paying two times as much than you should.

250 X 48 = 12,000
"fees:: 2,800
Buyout: 8,000

Grand total: $22,300.00 for a economy car. This sort of thing happens every day...

Now, go ahead and apply this concept to a mortgage. You'll want to vomit.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Honestly, before you do this trade, you should strongly consider the TypeR if it comes in two years...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Remember how dome dealers were getting over $45,000 for S2000s the first 8 months they were out? Now, a couple years later, you can get the same car for just under 30K. Same thing with the WRX: dealer's weren't letting people testdrive the cars before handing over $5K above MSRP. Who's willing to pay that sort of premium, just for just for the mere novelty of having it first?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
TheRoxorcist on Aug/12/02 said:
so i've tried out the si many times now with it's i-vtec engine. it's very nice, it handles the vtec transfer SUUUPER smooth. it's not like a power jump like my car tends to have. when downshifting from 5th to 3rd in the si, the kick isn't as strong as with the gsr. it never feels like you get the full juice of power as i do when i downshift in my gsr. and from what i hear the rsx is the same way. i-vtec was developed to smoothen out the power balance in varying speeds. when i first drove the si, i hit redline and didn't even feel like i was putting any pressure on the car whereas when i drive the gsr, you can kinda feel like you're pushing it whenever you get around 7k rpms. maybe i'm just talking out of my ass but the i-vtec engines run just a little too smooth for my taste... but damn they're still fun :)
I can't speak about the Civic Si, but I can compare the GS-R to the Type-S. I do understand what you mean about the GS-R feeling like you are really pushing it at over 7,000 RPM. However, the GS-R seemed to pull smoothly from 4,000 to 8,000 RPM. The Type-S pulls well through 5,900 RPM, but there is no apparent increase in power from about 4,000 to 5,900 RPM. At 5,900 RPM, the power jumps about 25 WHP, and you can really feel it. This power band, above 5,900 RPM, isn't nearly as harsh or loud as the GS-R, but is much stronger.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
to speak of the civic si and the new k series i got to drive a base rsx when i took my car in to the dealer to get some warrenty work. let me just say that it doesnt compare to my g3. i dont care if it is supposed to be faster, i just dont think it compares. first out the layout, i know it is supposed to be more comfortable, but i thought that thing was anything but comfortable. i felt more cramped in there then i do in my gs. and i dont know if this is just me but after a drive of 3 1/2 hours my wrists starting hurting from holding the steering wheel. (i always drive with both hands at 9 and 3) it just felt bulkier, and not as sporty. and the power just didnt seem to be there. now all of these power aspects i speek of come from the ever reliable butt dyno so take them for what their worth. and im not trying to just smack the rsx because i do think its a great car and the next best thing to the G3. just stating why i dont think its my cup of VTEC.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
lMlElNaCe-GsR on Aug/12/02 said:
wow your friend is the first person i heard about buying the new SI. i havent even seen one of them on the road yet. maybe because it looks like a fat frog.
ahahaha a fat frog man thats a perfect way to describe them

·
Registered
608 Posts
i personally like the new SI, dude wut do u mean you've never seen them diamond bar honda has about 4 of them, my friend with his SI coupe ran the new one and it was about dead even..but i think the coupe won by a hair..this was a flagged race 0-80ish
i guessing the k20A will deliver the best of both worlds, a little more kick like the gen.3's but also delivers a great ride for everyday use..my God id trade my ITR for the RSXR like the one that guy on this site has...simply perfect, doing almost anything to that car is de-tuning it

1 - 20 of 35 Posts