Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey wussup my fellow integra people! I just got pulled over at a highway and just got a ticket. The cop says i was goin 74 on a 55. There are no speed signs around the highway. Everyone that travels on that usually goes 65-70. Its a pretty busy highway too, so i assumed that the speed limit was around that speed. For some reason when getting on to the freeway...(was getting out of the college)... maybe about not even about a mile i got pulled over. Anywayz the cop wrote down on the slip 64 on 55 and drop the cost. Now, this is my first ticket and i've been driving since 16 and now 18. Will this go on my insurance? if it is im dead! Should I fight it? What should I do? Any tips? Please respond. -Thanks alot for listening- *venting off*

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
most likely not -- you need to ask people in your state and maybe even go to the nearest precint and talk to an officer- show them that you dont care, tell them that "you just want to understand whats going to happen to you" and they are going to explain---In GA if you are anything up to 14mph over-- nothing happens to your record just a fine-- after 14 over -- say 15 you accumulate points on your DL that your INS can see-- but under that amt -- the ins can see it but is not allowed to raise your rates for it....
he only wrote you for 9mph over-- the fine shouldnt be more than like $30-$50 keep us informed

·
Registered
461 Posts
well i got a ticket also for 74 in a 55 and i got 4 pts when i was 20. my insurance was notified but my rates never went up. but if i got another ticket they would have. just call your insurance company and see what their policy is on it but don't tell them yet that you got a ticket.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
You thought the speed limit was around 74? hehe...

Take the ticket to court and see if you can get court supervision. That's how it works here in IL. I just got supervision on a 52 in a 30. If I don't get another ticket in the next 3 months, it gets dropped from my record. Talk to other people in your area and see if that's how it works.

·
Registered
259 Posts
go to court for it but dont try to hard to act innocent. your only hope is that the judge will drop it since its your first ticket. he may make you take a drivers improvement class in order to make it drop off but thats better than a ticket on your record. normally, one ticket wont mess with your insurance. i got a 14 over ticket recently and it didnt do anything to mine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I gave my last ticket to an attorny. I never talked to the dude again. He got everthing cleared and i only had to pay him $125. I ended up paying him the same amount of money that was on the ticket. I didnt have to go to court and i didn't get any points on my license. IMO that is the best way to take care of tickets.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Must be nice to live anywhere but CA. Did you say that it should only be like $30 - $50!! I just got a ticket for 5 MPH over on the freeway and it cost me $180 + a point on my record. Is it only CA that robs people on tickets..I know they are the only ones who are anal about smog stuff. I need to get out of this state. It sucks.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
98turbors on Sep/11/02 said:
Must be nice to live anywhere but CA. Did you say that it should only be like $30 - $50!! I just got a ticket for 5 MPH over on the freeway and it cost me $180 + a point on my record. Is it only CA that robs people on tickets..I know they are the only ones who are anal about smog stuff. I need to get out of this state. It sucks.
yeah, that's steep... In IL it's $75 for 1-20mph over... $150 for 21-30mph and i think you get your license suspended for anything higher than that... don't quote me on that though... but it's something like that. I know your average ticket is around $75. Seatbelt tickets are like $500 now though and you can get one as a passenger if you are over 18... IL is tired of scrapeing people off the roads i guess.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Always take tickets to court. Regardless of if you were speeding or not, there is no reason not to excercise your rights and fight it. At least you will waste some of their time =p

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
This is long but its funny--

i recently got a ticket traveling from memphis to Atlanta -- going home for the summer-- i got caught just outside of Birmingham, Alabama in some God knows where town of like 10 people (VERY VERY VERY Small)
I was doing 120mph (open strech of road straight ahead) no one else on the road but me-- all of the sudden i see grass in the median moving like it shouldn't i pulled over before he even had his lights on or moved onto the road-- shocked him too!
i tried to talk to the officer to negotiate-- told him i was honest and that i didnt resist-- he told me he had already called it in for 100+ and thought i was running and wasnt going to stop-- so he was nice enough to give me the minimum over 100 ----> 101 in a 65 CRAP!!!
so i go to court b/c either way im 36 over and if they transfer the ticket to the adjoining states (GA) ill get suspended for 1 year --- my bother in law goes with me and they call my name " Mehrdad Saadat" we go to the bench and Mark (bro in law) does all the talking -- tells the whole story for me--I dont say a word the judge says to him "Are you talking for him because he's not fluent in english?" (thought that b/c of my name i guess) then mark says -- "no your honor im speaking for him because he's not fluent in smarts otherwise we wouldn't have had to get up at 3am to drive 4 hours to be in your presence by 8AM- and waste the time of the court"--
the judge, and everyone else in the room-- laughs his butt off for at least 2 mins then dismissed the case with no pts just a $20 fine and $100 court costs

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
in nc i got one ticket for 38 in a 25 and it was a $25 ticket plus a $90 court fee thats $115 but doin 13 over thats the way it is with all the tickets in nc oh and if you do more then about 15 over they give you carless and reckless which basically means you gotta go to court that sucks i got one of them to for 90 in a 55 i get all my tickets taken care of by a lawyer and that one was still expensive

·
Registered
24 Posts
in my area, when you get a ticket, there is the option of going to this 4 hr. driver improvement class which costs about $20. If you take the class you still have to pay the fine for speeding but nothing goes onto your license...works out pretty sweet......i've had 2 tickets so far and no points on my license.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
hm.. yea california laws are super strict.. but i like the "take-home driving school" video to subtract a point from your ticket.. he he..

hm.. when i was 17 and started to drive.. i decided to come home from school for spring break.. my first speeding ticket was 50 in a 35.. cost me like $75.. the second ticket i got(four days later) was for 90 in a 70(whoops 20mph over the speedlimit) it was $243!!

i would have missed that second ticket if i hadn't cut across four lanes and cut off the cop that was going to follow the other set of speeding cars.. well he got me too.. so he wrote four tickets in one stop.. definite BuRrn..

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Don't plead guilty. I've given this same advice probably 100 times...
Plea "not guilty". Talk to your district attorney (this will be free - we pay taxes for a reason). Your local DA will most likely get things reduced to a non-moving violation (seatbelt violation or the like).
Remember, you're innocent until proven guilty: admiting guilt is like kicking yourself in the pants - it's freaking stupid.
Going to court isn't a big deal and really wont take up too much of your time. If you have any questions, email me.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
120 huh? Oh, but it was an open road, right? Smart...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First off if your reading this and responded or read...I would like Thank you for taking the time. Sometimes cops can be real "Buttheads" hehe! I would like to add the cop that pulled me over was complementing and checking my car out. WTF?? Kinda confused about if cops really enjoy giving tickets out or they just would like to see a nice teg! *sighs* I dunno...whatevers though. But i'm gonna go to court in October something and explain to them how bogus this ticket is. It is really really gonna hurt our insurance if it gets on there. Never realize the power of a "Sports Car" til you get the wrong attention. I dunno...im just babling off...anywayz I can't wait to get my exhaust and type r kit within 2 months or so. I'll post pics soon so be on the look out. I'll keep you guys posted on my journey to get "Justice". HeHe...well this noob is signing off and I'll see you guys around the board. -Peash Out-

1 - 20 of 30 Posts