Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I sucessfully installed 2 sets of Polyurethane Motor mounts into my car! I had first bought my Prothane kit about a year ago but had trouble installing it.

Then about a month ago I decided to buy the E.S. Mounts becasue I thought I wasn't going to be able to install the Prothane mounts.

Well I discovered that I still couldn't install all of the Prothane Mounts due to imposible removal of one of the stock mounts. But instead I was able to use 2 of the 3 mounts from the E.S. kit to install in my car along with 1 of the Prothan kits totalling 3 mounts installed! (There are 5 mounts total in our tegs and I got 3 out of 5 mounts installed!)

What I found out was that the only thing that the 2 sets shared was the rear mount! The other 2 mounts were different.

E.S uses the two lower front mounts while Prothane uses the two upper front mounts. And the one thats shared is the rear mount. So in essence, you can have both sets instaleed and have one set of rear mount extra.

According to this scan of the mounts in our cars, the Prothane kit uses the Side Engine Mount, Transmision Mount, and the Rear Mount. thas all of the top three mounts.

While the E.S kit uses the Right Front Mount, Left Front Mount, and the Rear Mount, which according to this picture are the 2 lower pictures and the top middle one.

As for eliminating the wheel hop? Not totally. I still get minimal wheel hop from midrange to redline. Minimal that it. Its better than without the Motor Mounts though.

Most noticeable if the motion of the vehicle. You know that motion of inertia when you are pushing your car to the limit in first and shift to second. You know, that feeling that your front end lifts up when you floor it and then it settles back down momentarily until you shift into second and floor it again. Well, that seems to be eliminated some too.

As for those harse vibrations fron the engine??? What vibration? I have practically no vibration at all (at least not so anoying like I'm been hearing). Maybe at idle (and I mean at idle only) it may feel like its vibrating somewhat like when your idle is a set too low, but no harse vibration at accelerating from idle at all.

I rate this to be a very good upgrade. Hopefully when I can figure out how to do the rear mount on more time and some way to do that side mount, all the wheel hop will be eliminated.

And if at that time, I still get a little wheel hop, I'll just add the Z10 traction bars!

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yeah I covered the different mount locations in my article a few weeks ago.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=296

I don't think the vibrations are as bad as everyone says. They are just being ***** about it I think. Especially with the ES inserts, those don't vibrate much at all.

Since you already have both sets are you planning on installing all of them? The rear mount makes the most difference out of all of them as that's the direction the engine is flexing. I'd really like to know what both kits feel like. I've just heard one person who's done it, and they said their car vibrated like crazy but he still thought it was cool.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah that is so much of a better picture of what I was trying to say here.

And YES! I do plan on installing all of them! I only need more time to do the rear one since it seems like its gonna take more of my time!

The side mount one seems kinda impossible??? Thats the hardest one I've tackled so far! Getting the mount off from the car is the easy part. The hard part is getting rid of all the old rubber bushing to replace it with the new one!

All the others are just a "Slip Over" the factory ones. But the Prothane side mount replaces the whole factory one and it's sealed tight in there. I don't even know if there is anything that I can use to take it out.

If you know of a way, please feel free to enlighten me. So far I kinda like the new feel to my car. Vibrations are barely noticeasble at the moment. Hopefully I can install the rear one too to see if the vibrations are more noticeable at all.

I'm pretty sure that the Prothane side mount (if I can ever install that one) will make the most difference in vibration. Why? Because it has two different inner mount that I can choose from. With my kit, it came with a "STREET" and a "RACE" mount. Its the black one in your link (I have two of them). And so if I do install the race one I'm pretty sure it'll be a lot more vibrations.

BTW, the Prothane kit is stiffer than the E.S kit. The bushings for the E.S is flexible whereas the bushings for the Prothane kit is stiff cold!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
one more thing, since the Prothane kits are more stiffer, I'm planning on installing the Prothane rear bushings instead of the E.S.

And like I said before, if it doesn't totally eliminate wheel hop, I'll just add the Z10 traction bars!

I really could use these since I have a JRSC and traction at launching is a big factor! Hopefully these can get me better times along with my BFG Drag radials!

·
Registered
586 Posts
im just about to buy the es kit, was it hard putting these inserts in surferx?? Id like to do it myself since every shop wants atleast 150 to do it. do the mounts come with good instructions?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not hard, but there is a trick to install them. Paying $150 for installation is just plain crazy. It doesn't take more than a few hours at the worse.

You basically take out the factory mounts and slide the ES or Prothane ones into the factory ones and put it back.

Need any help let me know!

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The rear mount is difficult and time consuming. Also if you get the Prothane kit the stock insert in the side mount is very hard to remove from what I've heard. I'm planning to do the ES/Prothane combo myself eventually, I just have the ES ones right now.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forget the side mount. I might as well get myself a HASPORT mount to save myself the pain and trouble. Getting it off the engine is easy, but replacing the mount is the hard part.

Hey SuerferX, did your friend ever do the side mount on his car. If so, any tips on how he did it???

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've had the ES kit for about 6 months now. I like the feel...seems like you can "feel" the car more. The rear mount is a pure biznatch though.

·
Registered
586 Posts
where did you guys get your ES kit at? Everywhere i go or call they want atleast 55 bucks. I think i remember surferx mentioning he got his for 29 bucks!! Thats really cheap, and if anybody knows a place to get the ES kit for cheap, please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
743 Posts
to get the old rubber bushing out, sak, (I know this will sound crazy, but it works) you have to BURN it. Yes, I mean set the rubber on fire. Put it on the ground and let it go. I'm serious.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'm probably better off getting the HASport side mount then.

I got my ES mounts from racingworks.com, they were on sale for like $29. You can check JC Whitney or Summit Racing for te Prothane kit. I belive I say them for around the same price also.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
My ES kit came from Racing Works from a group buy. Possibly they just sell it on their website for that price as well.

For the side mount, yeah I've heard some bad stories about how hard it is. You really just need a torch to melt the rubber out of it, it's really not meant to come out. The only way to shove the Prothane replacement mount in is to pretty much just drive your car onto it haha.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pchjvvball32 on Apr/08/03 said:
lol i know this is old but i hope your kdding
Who's kidding when it comes to TI and someone like me? Would you like for me to clarify anything for you since you find this rather funny/odd/unusual?

·
Registered
856 Posts
hah, i just installed the ES kit on my 00 GSR. and the rear mount only took 45 min total :-D i got it put in w/out removing the bracket. the rest of them were pretty easy. overall i like the feel of them and the vibration is nothing to worry about. ima get the prothane kit so that i can replace the other 2. yippee. i love these things.

-Keith

1 - 17 of 17 Posts