Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just got $900 from finanicial aid. i was thinking of getting engine upgrades for my planned setup (see thread in perfomance), but wanted to wait until i get more money for that so i can get all that done at the same time. so now i'm thinking of upgrading the suspension. anyway, i want a good ride for the street and good handling. i won't be doing autoxing. just ocassional dragracing, that's all. i'm really leaning towards ground control and koni adjustables (yellows right?). so $900 is my limit, but i want to try to spend less than that. so anyone suggest otherwise? should i just get some less expensive shocks like the tokicos? anyone know of shop that sells the gc's already assembled onto a set of shocks so i can just bolt on? does ground control do this? and where can i get a good deal? as for strut/sway/tie bars, i'll get these at a later date. thanks.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
well i have the ground control coilovers w/ koni yellows....handels good but boucier then shiet...i suggest if you want to spend under 900, the eibach pro kit on koni yellows...great ride height, handling, and overall smotthness of the ride.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Personally, I'd go with Eibach Pros w/ Bilstein sports. My roommate just gave his 91 BMW 325i the Eibach/Bilstein treament - it's an amazing street setup.

I'm a little Bias when it comes to Bilstein - if you do your research, you'll find that they're the longest lasting and will provide you with the most consistent handling (consistent because Bilsteins mono-tube is exposed to air, allowing them to stay cool which helps gases/oil stay cool... preventing the shock from going soft. It prevents them from wearing out).

As for the Eibach prokit, I'd say they are arguably the best street springs on the market. And like the Bilsteins, they'll last a long time - as you might be able to tell, I dig stuff that lasts...
The above setup would run you around 600 bucks. Take the extra money and get a nice rear sway bar from Comptech.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
890 Posts
They eibach pro kit is stiff, I enjoymoine Daily. As far as the bilstein, I've heard nothing but great things. I myself run the agx's and they're adequate,they did show a gain, but I've got reasons to not like them as well, (poor engineering quality.) The strut/shocks they make are good, but they took away from the ride length to give it adjustabilty that the use. I've also heard that the illuminas come with a lifetime warranty. Anyway i'm sold on them for the next tiem, but maybe I'll look more intot he bilstein's myself.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Another thing: The Porsche people I know (the guys who put 1500 miles a year on their 911s and race them 400 of those miles) tend to use Konis while the BMW people I know (those who put 20,000 miles a year on their cars and drive to the auto-xs) tend to use Bilsteins.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't know what spring/shock combo you should buy, it really depends on how low you want to go. But I just wanted to tell you to keep in mind that you might need a camber kit, so you have to work your budget with that too.

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
u can always fedex the money 2 me

·
Registered
219 Posts
Brian_Hanspard on Sep/15/02 said:
Financial Aid? Isn't that money for school? I wouldn't spend that on my Teg, sorry.
this is not a flame, however this is exactly what i was thinking as well. get yourself a nice job from the education, then spend the money from there on a beautiful beautiful mod. be patient.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i have bilsteins and they're going on on tuesday, so i'll let you know how they feel, and by the way you can only get bilstein sports for type R's, for anything else they only make bilstein HD's..

·
Registered
244 Posts
maybe he has 900 left over after financial aid, my first year i got $200 each semester thanks to scholarships.
i say you buy the kyb agx's with eibach pro kit, and save the rest of the money

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Napoleon on Sep/15/02 said:
Quote: Brian_Hanspard on Sep/15/02Financial Aid? Isn't that money for school? I wouldn't spend that on my Teg, sorry.
this is not a flame, however this is exactly what i was thinking as well. get yourself a nice job from the education, then spend the money from there on a beautiful beautiful mod. be patient.

[/quote]
maybe i needed to be more clear on that. acutaly it was a FA refund. you see i recieved cal grant A and it pays for all my tuitiion and books. the $900 is what was left over. so i'll be recieving $900/quarter. i do have a job, too. the school is heald college by the way. i work part-time and go to school full-time.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i emailed shox.com for a quote and got this:

Koni "Reds" $308.00
Koni Sports $565.60 (These are externally adjustable)
Bilstein $389.00
Tokico non adjustables $269.00
Tokico externally adjustables - $429.00
KYB AGX $353.00
KYB GR2 $199.00
Sets of 4

Tokico Suspension Kit $359.00 (Springs and non-adjustables) lowers 1.5"
Tokico Illumina's Suspension Kit $499.00 (Springs and Illumina's) lowers 1.5"

Suspension Techniques sway bar kit F&R $229.00
Eibach sway bar kit F&R $259.00
Both include urethane bushings

Ground Control Coil Over Kit-
$339.00, For the Bilstein or Koni's
$299.00,for the other shocks.
lowers .5"-3.5" includes Eibach ERS springs

Koni coil over kit with adj. struts and springs $973.00
B&G coil overs $995.00
H&R coil overs $1,199.00
Tokico coil over kit with adj. struts and springs $899.00

Eibach (lowers 1.3" or 1.7") $179.00
B&G springs $175.00 lowers 1.5"
Suspension Techniques Springs $169.00 lowers 1.3"
Susp.Tech.SpeedTech Springs $149.00 lowers 2.3" / 1.9"
Neuspeed springs (lowers .75" , 1.75" or 2") $179.00
H+R springs $189.00 (lowers 1.75" )
H+R OE Sports $189.00 ( lower .75")

Eibach Front Upper brace $139.00
Neuspeed black upper Strut brace $89.00
Neuspeed polished upper Strut brace $99.00
Neuspeed Front Lower brace $169.00 (Billet Aluminum)
Neuspeed Upper rear strut brace $189.00
Neuspeed Lower rear $69.00

Camber adjustment kits $129.00 front kit and $59.00 rear kit.

first off thanks for the replies. well i hear great things about the eiback prokits. i hear springs are better than coilovers for drag launching, but i really want height adjustability. so then i'll just get ground-controls. as for shocks i still want more opinions out there. they kyb's are pretty cheap compared to the koni adjustables so i'm considering those instead. what does anyone have to say about these? i'll probably get a front camber kit, too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
i reccomend koni yellows or kyb agx on the GC coil overs.... GC is great im very happy with mine and the springs are manufactured by eibach anyways... You can get all 4 KYB AGX struts for less than $400 and the GCs for less than $300 that leaves you $200 which you can get a somewhat decent rear sway bar. i love the ability to adjust thats why i went to the coil overs.. mine are currently set to the highest i could get them bye hand while they were jacked up.. the car handles much better than before... also just in case you were thinking about other suspension stuff id definatley reccommend sway bar before strut tower bars...

·
Registered
354 Posts
whoops that post before mine wasnt up while i was typing that he deffinatly elaborated on what i said... i still reccomend kyb agx and GCs and a thicker rear sway bar

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well ok then i'm settled on gc's and kyb agx's. anyone find a better deal than shox.com? well i'll probably get the sway bar at a later date. just doing daily driving and ocassional drag racing. when i do get "bars", i was considering cusco front/rear uppers, or maybe the neuspeed front instead, and skunk lower rear. as for the lower front and sway bars i'm still researching on those. any suggestions?

·
Registered
412 Posts
well if ur not autocrossing and you want a good ride why don't you go with some eibach sportlines or similar skunk2, neuspeed, etc and some good quality non adustables like koni reds or tokico blues. i would recommend getting a camber kit too. you could get any of these setups w/a camber kit and have it installed and still have extra dough.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm warnign you, AGX doesn't liek to honor the five year warranty they sell if you lower the car mor ethen an inch. They took their stock style strut, hacked the end off and put their proportioning valve deep inside, (aprroximately 1.5" lower then stock.) These are goign to bottom out and sudden bumps, or potholes that came from no-where. Fair warning, but with that being said they do their job well provided you don't hit to many bumps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts