Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 95 LS(B18B1) and i want to get VTEC. i have three options:
A- do an expensive and time consuming LS/VTEC conversion which would have to include some light engine work. (nothing wrong with my engine, runs very nice...but has 150k...all original miles)
B- do a full B18C(DOHC, VTEC) swap. everything included but another very expensive route.
C- or the cheapest route- trade my car for a 94-01 GS-R in good condition.
D- or the second cheapest route- do a full, modified, JDM F23A1(SOHC, VTEC...195whp) swap. came out of my friend's honda accord. he would give it to me only if i do the swap.

i want option C. but i just wanna weigh the rest of my options. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
196 Posts
in the end its up to you but i say save your money and then buy what really makes you happy. i did a swap in my old CRX and went cheap and regreted it after i did it

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
just because its JDM and claims 195 HP doesnt mean anything really... if it is a like new engine then maybe. but if hes taken it to the track, daily driven it, and put alot of hard miles on it, its not gonna even be worth it. I have a friend who just bought a good civic type-r motor, but kept his stock transmission and old VTEC solenoid that was all jacked up.. his fuel filter is all dirty and im sure the fuel injectors prolly are too, but my low mileage LS with nothing but an SRI can beat his high mileage tranny, and a modded CTR motor.

*** JDM CTR motor I might add

·
Registered
309 Posts
You are better off trading up for the GSR(provided that it is in good condition). Just trade and drive. Engine swaps are tricky...I say this because you have to go with a reputable retailer of JDM swaps(give our sponsors a call to get pricing) and even then you don't know if the previous owner from abroad dogged the crap out of that engine+tranny. Now don't get me wrong some people have made out like bandits and got great swaps. The accord engine is out of the question. Too much hassle IMO. LS/Vtec is ok, but it depends on how you are going to drive this car. If you are going to be living at 8000rpm all day then you have to upgrade the block and change the internals. For more info on LS/Vtec view performance in the articles section. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
If you can avoid doing a motor swap, do it...headaches. It is very hard to know if the motor is any good untill you have it, and perform a leak down test, or have it running to do a compression test.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
swo_vic on Feb/02/06 said:
dang...dude

i am in the same situation...i have a b18b1 96, but i dont have the cash to do neither of those things...

i would go with the C... though
yea, i was leaning more towards that too. for option C all i have to do is find a GS-R trade that would take my car with cash or a 1990 civic.....

·
Registered
708 Posts
Why do you have to have Vtec. Have you considered building up your LS and going turbo. What are your future plans to a vtec engine if any?
Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gimmethat on Feb/02/06 said:
what are your goals?
i have a few goals but not a lot of money. ultimately i want VTEC turbo for this car. i want to do stuff to my engine but i don't want to modify this engine if i'm not gonna do LS/VTEC.then again, i'm leaning more towards a GS-R trade because it'll be all GS-R. whereas, my LS will be all LS with VTEC. my ultimate goal is to have a quick daily driver until i get into some real money. then i'll go further....

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Journey85 on Feb/02/06 said:
in the end its up to you but i say save your money and then buy what really makes you happy. i did a swap in my old CRX and went cheap and regreted it after i did it
tru, i was considering all the possible problems i might encounter if i did the swap. that's another reason why i'm leaning more towards a trade...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'm different. I had the same problem. I swapped out my B18B1 for a B18C1 (GS-R) in my car.

Really I shouldn't have because I had only one modification and it was just a carbon fiber hood that I could have switched over to the GS-R that I bought instead, but oh well.

But my point is it depends on how much you currently have done to your car. If there is a lot of work and parts currently on the car, then get a GS-R engine and do the swap. Since you have a 95 LS (which I also did) the only difficult part is the VTEC wires if you also get an OBD1 GS-R engine (which I also did). Everything else is a bolt right up procedure.

If you go the route of swapping a F series engine, it's going to get spendy. You'll have to get some motor mounts for it which'll be about $600, then you'll end up having to buy bits and pieces of other cars to get it to work. In the end, you'd be better off swapping the GS-R engine (it'd be cheaper).

But if you don't have much done to your LS and it can all be swapped back to stock, I'd say trade it in for a GS-R.

Edit: And a LS with a GS-R swap is almost no different than a GS-R. The difference is the rear wing isn't there (which I feel is a bonus because you can go wingless or get an ITR wing or any other wing you like) and the anti-sway bars (which are EASY and CHEAP to upgrade) and depending on the year the wheels and interior. They are very close to the same car!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
s1mpl1c1ty on Feb/02/06 said:
IIRC, the accord engine is dohc?

i don't know about all accords but this F series engine is SOHC. i think it's the single-cam version of the H23. i'm not sure.
anyway, this particular engine is a JDM F23A1, SOHC VTEC. (i think all F-series engines are single-cam). it came with 150whp from the factory. my friend did the intake, full cat-back dual exhaust(originally came single exhuast), a coolant mod, and he piggy-backed the ECU. all these mods brught it up to about 195-200whp. the rest of the engine is stock....
by the way, i have driven that car many, many times in the past and i've rode out with him too. so i know where the car has been. and no it's not dogged out....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.