Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the day has finally come. After almost a full month of my car being at HyTech's shop for design testing, their full exhaust system has become a reality. Let's see some pics shall we?

The primary flange of the stainless steel header egraved with HyTech's name. Oh yeah let the fun begin.

This is the rest of the header as seen from up top. It's already bronze since it's been put through a few miles of testing and turned color like all stainless steel headers do. Oh well I got to see it non-bronze colored before it went into my car at least haha. HyTech does offer coating of headers so they stay shiny but I really didn't care for it. From here you can kind of see the shape of the header as it goes down as well as the anti-reversion chambers in the primaries.

This is right where the header curves under the block. Cylinders 1-3 and 2-4 are paired giving sequential pairing of cylinders when looking at the firing order 1-3-4-2. Most mass-market 4-2-1 headers use non-sequential pairing (1-4, 2-3).

As you can see the point at which the header meets the cat is nowhere near the stock location. Another one of the design features of the HyTech header are the extra long secondaries. The primaries themselves are about as long as a regular 4-1 header. The cat used in HyTech's system is a Renault cat modified to fit the HyTech header's 2.5" collector.

HyTech's newly designed 2.5" OD diameter exhaust system with twin-loop muffler sporting a 3.5" tip. Definitely one of the selling points for me on this exhaust. The car sounds absolutely amazing with this exhaust. I've honestly never ridden in an Integra that sounded so nice. I was very pleased with how well the twin-loop muffler was able to quiet the noise as well as sound deep and tuned like a performance exhaust should. Couldn't be happier with the system as far as noise and looks are concerned.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Emissions testing with the HyTech system were more than successful. At the 15mph test hydrocarbons registered at absoulute 0.00%. At 25mph HC% was only up 0.01%. CO numbers were at the floor as well registering only half of what the average low emissions vehicle produces. CARB certification shouldn't be a problem, it's just a pain in the ass process but it will happen eventually. Living in CA, CARB certification is definitely important to me.

Driving impressions of this system was nothing less than amazing. I understand alot now of what John talks about with transient response and how some things you just can't see on a dyno. It almost feels like a different car. The engine responds to shifts and on/off throttle inputs immediately without hesitation. Not just the power has improved but the overall driving performance of the car is much improved and is something you just wouldn't be able to see on a normal chassis dyno.

What most people care about of course is the power right? If you see the dyno I had before on the car it was gutless until it spiked at 5700 RPM once VTEC engined. Now with the hybrid 4-2-1 header the torque curve feels much flatter and the transition into VTEC isn't as dramatic because of the much increased low end pull. High end feels good as well, the car feels scary again like when I went over from my LS to the Type R for the first time.

But I'm not about to crap out a dyno chart, so I'll leave the rest of the butt dyno analysis at home. In a week or two the car will be going back to the dyno and we'll overlay it with my old setup and see what happened. Overall I couldn't be happier, there's not one thing I'm dissapointed about with the $2000 I spent on John's hand-built full stainless steel header-cat-exhaust system.

HyTech Exhaust
http://www.hytechexhaust.com
12 Hammond St., Suite 202
Irvine, CA 92618
(949) 581-2181
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
*DROOL*

That setup looks kick ass.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, Michael Delaney uses a HyTech header on his GS-R. Because of the length of the header it won't fit with any exhaust no matter GS-R or Type R without modification. Of course if you just get the full system then everything will fit fine. If you want just the catback you can let John know it's for a GS-R and he will make it to fit. Everything he does is custom so he can make whatever exhaust for whatever application you want pretty much.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
wow, true beautiful craftmanship! Sounds like the wait is nothing compaired to the performance and quality :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
How is the ground clearance with the header? I have a Spoon header right now and it hangs pretty darn low. I was think of getting a full Hytech system but was unsure of how it low it would be.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ground clearance is good, you can see in the pictures it hangs even higher than the cat so it's about as safe as you can get without needing a smaller oil pan.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Urge to buy...digital sound recorder....rising...

Anyone know a site where I can get one cheap?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
what about people on east coast? would we have to ship the car to cali to get the exhaust system installed??? (and leave it there for a month and then ship it back east?)

won't do me too much good anyway. i've got a b18b1... just wondering.

·
Registered
577 Posts
dragontegz on Aug/14/02 said:
what about people on east coast? would we have to ship the car to cali to get the exhaust system installed??? (and leave it there for a month and then ship it back east?)

won't do me too much good anyway. i've got a b18b1... just wondering.
I don't think all that would be necessary. You just gotta let them know exactly what you need so they can custom build it to fit your car, then have a shp here on the east coast put er on for ya.

BTW, I emailed John about a price for the complete HyTech exhaust made to fit a GSR, so for anyone that might be interested, I'll post that price up as soon as he writes back.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
BTW, I emailed John about a price for the complete HyTech exhaust made to fit a GSR, so for anyone that might be interested, I'll post that price up as soon as he writes back.
GOOD IDEA!!!
Let me know what he says...

·
Registered
296 Posts
I actually emailed john a few weeks ago about a system for my gsr. This is what he said:

The flanges are the same for all of the Bseries heads so the type R will fit fine. And our Type R full system will fit your car.
Cost is 2,000 for the complete set up.
John

I looked at the MD's comparison over on HT and from what that said,MD correct me if i'm wrong. The ground clearance is actually better on a gsr.

X you said yours took about a month to get and put on and everything?just wondering because i'm trying to plan stuff out for next summer and fall when i'll have some money again.Thanks

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
surfer that is a thing of beauty. im pumped for you man that everything turned out great. i bet the wait and public transportation made that first blip so much sweeter. congrats man that sh*ts awesome

1 - 20 of 193 Posts