Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by Americas Tire today to get a free balance and rotation. While there I met a youngster that is into cars as much as I am. He works their and he mentioned hubcentric rings. "Well their too exspensive for me right now", I said. "Their only $5.00".
"What the hell are you waiting for put them on already"!
I've seen hubcentric rings go for as much as $35.00.
All four for $5.00.
SCORE!

For any of you that don't know what these ring are...they go into the back of the wheel and go around the little steel rim on the middle of the rotor. they keep the wheel truely centered on the hub.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took a good look at them...their pure steel.
Americas Tire is the same thing as Discount tire.
But we have one here, so no internet ordering for me.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
WTH thats cheap and they're steel? What size rims do you have or is it all the same? Last time i got quoted $12 each which was too expensive so i said no thanks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I paid $35 for my set, and I am telling you guys, it is worth every penny. So at $5 a set, that is a steal. However the set I got was anodized aluminum. Steal will rust right to your hub, so I suggest you stay away from it.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little grease goes a long way.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Quick quiz for you guys... (not to be hijacking the thread from jojo but...)

What does hubcentric mean? And if its not Hubcentric, what is it? IE, the opposite of hubcentric?

BTW... Great find!

·
Registered
463 Posts
sak on Feb/18/04 said:
Quick quiz for you guys... (not to be hijacking the thread from jojo but...)

What does hubcentric mean? And if its not Hubcentric, what is it? IE, the opposite of hubcentric?

BTW... Great find!
Well, concentric means to share the same circular center. So, hubcentric basically means to share the same circular center as the hub, keeping the wheel centered on the hub.

Eccentric (having a rotational axis that does not lie on the center) is the closest term to an opposite of something being concentric.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Okay my mistake. I think I worded my question wrong.

If you don't have hubcentric rings with your wheels and the wheels are used on the car, what is it called?

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lug centric???? I have no idea.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
jojo on Feb/19/04 said:
Lug centric???? I have no idea.
Yeah thats correct! I was going to start a new thread, but since you answered it.

Here are some good reads on it.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

Another automotive term that is used often is Centerbore. If you go out and put your stock wheels/steelies on your car. You'll see that the center whole of th wheel matches precisely the center of the hub on the car, hence the name, centerbore.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeh, yeh...I knew that

Thanks Sak. Good test. I did know that if it wasn't hubsentric that the lugs were the only other way to "center" the wheel,but I wasn't sure if it was a trick question. Now I know for sure.

Those are great links, thanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just got back from getting my wheels rotated and balanced. I asked the mechanic to check the fit of my lugs - they seemed to have to much wiggle room. He said they were ok, but I might want to consider getting some 'Hub-centric rings'. What are some symptoms of a poor 'lug-centric' fit?

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vibration for one. It makes the wheel off center with the hub. I'm sure there are more but I don't know.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
You cant really torque the wheels while the car is off the ground because then the wheel will just spin... you need some weight on it to be able to torque it. Thats the way we do it at the shop I work at.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts