Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know that NASA will be holding HPDE and Time Trials events on March 11th and 12th at Pueblo Motorsports Park. This is the largest road course in Colorado, and one of the very few that are still open.

The best part is that you do not need to have prior experience to participate, but people who already have experience will be able to enjoy it too. You will be able to hit higher speeds than at Second Creek or Mead (which are both permanently closed now), but you will also be able to drive at whatever speed you are comfortable with, without pressure from other cars. People with little or no experience will even be provided with an instructor, which is a huge benefit.

There are four HPDE run groups, based on driver experience and comfort level, so that it can be a safe, fun, and educational experience for everyone. There is also a Time Trials competition available to those who are qualified to run in HPDE group 4. I will be running my Integra in Time Trials class TTA. The cost is pretty cheap for a road course event... only $115 per day or $199 for both days. This is an even better deal if you run in HPDE Group 1 and have an instructor (road course schools are normally pretty damn expensive).

You do not have to worry about doing any modifications to your car to go out there and have a lot of fun. You just need to have maintenance up to date, full oil, no leaks, and brakes in good condition. If anyone has any Integra-specific questions, let me know.

Here are some details that I got from the NASA Rocky Mountain forums...

Run Group Explanation:

HPDE Group one (1)
This is where you begin. This is one on one guidance from experienced racers, as you learn to control your car and yourself. Your mentor will provide you with guidance as you learn to drive at the limit. You will address how to approach a turn, the fast way around it, what gear should you be in, how to brake, and how to exit. The session generally includes a lead-follow session. Passing is very limited in the Group 1 Sessions.

HPDE Group Two (2)
Your mentor has determined you can drive on your own and with less supervision. You apply what you learned in the group 1 sessions. The pace is faster, and the passing rules are more relaxed.

HPDE Group Three (3)
You have progressed to the world of high performance driving. The passing rules in group 3 are not as strict. You must learn to share the track at high speeds with others. Typically you must have 10 or more track days under your belt to be signed off for group 3.

HPDE Group Four (4)
Congratulations! You have made it, no passing restriction except those of good judgment and rules of the road etiquette. You and your peers are now experiencing the joys of doing it right in a safe environment! You can now enjoy high performance driving at its finest. Those that wish to can petition to apply for a competition license. Typically you must have 20 or more track days under your belt to be signed off for group 4.

Time Trials
NASA TT gives HPDE drivers a taste of competition by allowing them to compete for top lap times at NASA events against similarly prepared cars.

Unlike anything you've probably seen, the NASA TT program matches you car against those of comparable speed, not just similar make and model. For example, if you've hopped up your Honda with an engine swap we won't tell you that you can't compete or you must compete in a class featuring tube-frame cars. Go to the on-line class calculator and see real time where your car is classified and what you'll be competing against. You may find yourself competing against a stock Corvette or possibly a Miata with an aftermarket turbo.

Check out the official NASA Time Trial Web page.

NASA TT doesn't require a full racing license, but you must be eligible for Group 4 HPDE. Safety equipment is the same for HPDE. The details on qualifying for Group 4 and safety rules are in the NASA CCR.

Requirements:

-Membership in NASA or a NASA sanctioned club (only $40; much cheaper than other clubs, and half the cost of SCCA)
-Any car in safe operating condition (from Ferrari to Hyundai)
-Mufflers. Different tracks have different sound policies
-Roll bars if your car is a convertible
-Seat belts in good working order
-State driver's license
-Long sleeve shirt and pants (cotton is great)
-A helmet (minimum Snell M90)
-Knowledge of the Club Codes and Regulations
-At least 18 years of age (16 w/parental consent)

Additional HPDE details can be found on the HPDE page.

For more information on events in our area, visit the NASA Rocky Mountain forums

Edit... You can sign up here.

Hope to see you out there!

·
Registered
212 Posts
wow...I might have to try and make it to this. I wanted to get into road racing since totalling my integra in the mountains, but I figured there wouldn't be any with most of the tracks closing down. I gotta get exhaust and a clutch and I'm good to go...lol.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HuNgiEbOi on Feb/09/06 said:
I want to do this too...what safety equipment do you they require?

Just a helmet with a Snell M90 or better rating, a cotton long sleeved shirt and pants, and a car that will pass a simply safety inspection (stock seat belts in good shape, wheel bearings and ball joints in good condition, no leaks, etc).

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can sign up here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
transaxion on Feb/08/06 said:
wow...I might have to try and make it to this. I wanted to get into road racing since totalling my integra in the mountains, but I figured there wouldn't be any with most of the tracks closing down. I gotta get exhaust and a clutch and I'm good to go...lol.
NASA is a great place for Integras. We've got Honda Challenge for racing and they do very well in our TT program. A lot of guys slap in JDM TypeR motors and cleanup. Ok, enough about racing - before you walk you gotta crawl.

Exhaust and clutch? Ok, I can see needing a good OEM clutch if yours is slipping, but you don't need an exhaust for HPDE. My wife (gf at the time) took her brand new TOTALLY STOCK '96 GSR (<1000 miles) out for her very first HPDE. She had never been on a race track before and she was passing all these guys in their modded RX7s and BMWs...Of course she had an excellent instructor

Come on guys (and gals). We need more imports!!! Most of the entries coming in are all domestic (Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, SRTs, ContourSVT). We've got a couple of 240SXs and some Mazdas but not much from the Honda crowd.

Dave Balingit
NASA RockyMountain

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
transaxion on Feb/10/06 said:
its running open downpipe right now...its too loud.

I'm definately gonna try and get the car together before this happens. I'd love to make it.
We have a month... plenty of time. Just don't put it off until the last minute. I keep finding myself rushing to get stuff done like I'm used to doing, but then I remember that I'll still be done a good 2-3 weeks before the event, and that should cover all the parts I need to buy/install for the whole season. For once, I'm not operating at the last minute or have a ton that I need to get done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HuNgiEbOi on Feb/11/06 said:
I have a month to get new tires, the rear camber kit, a helmet
Let me know if you need help sourcing any of this stuff.

What kind of tires/size do you want? R compound race tires?

I've found a bunch of helmets on craigslist that aren't too expensive. Just make sure they are snell rated (m90 minimum)

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
205/50-15 works well on our cars. It's a touch wide for stock 15x6.0 rims, but you can still mount it. I'm assuming you only have one set of rims, in which case you're not going to want a full race tire.

The Falken Azenis are not expensive and are pretty sticky for a street tire, but they do wear down fast compared to other street tires, and they can't be used in snow at all. For a summer tire on a daily driver, I would probably choose the Yokohama ES100's... they perform well, last a little longer, and are one of the best in the wet, but you still should switch tires for the winter. For all-season performance tires, check out the Falken Ziex and the Kumho 711... they have less dry traction, but last longer, can be used all year, and both are pretty cheap. iirc, the rule of thumb is to get tires with at least an 'H' speed rating (130 mph) or better, but you should be able to find 'V' or 'Z' (149 mph) in the 15" size pretty easily.

·
Registered
198 Posts
nasa-rm on Feb/10/06 said:
Dang Weston!!! Great writeup. There isn't much more I could add to it.

If anybody has any questions, please let me know.

Dave Balingit
NASA RockyMountain
I will try to make this in my MR2T. Isn't there a tech inspection that has to be done pre-event?

Also, does everyone new to NASA have to start at HPDE level one? My previous experience at 2nd Creek qualifies me for level two or three IMO . . .

[email protected] dot com

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
EGbeater on Feb/19/06 said:
Quote: nasa-rm on Feb/10/06Dang Weston!!! Great writeup. There isn't much more I could add to it.
If anybody has any questions, please let me know.

Dave Balingit
NASA RockyMountain

I will try to make this in my MR2T. Isn't there a tech inspection that has to be done pre-event?

Also, does everyone new to NASA have to start at HPDE level one? My previous experience at 2nd Creek qualifies me for level two or three IMO . . .

[email protected] dot com
Yeah, check the NASA Rocky Mountain forums for the tech inspection locations. Apex Hyperformance is one of them. And no, people don't have to start at HPDE 1 if they already have real experience... you'd have to talk to Dave about that, but for example, I was given approval to do NASA Time Trials based on my SCCA experience.

·
Registered
198 Posts
There is good info on the NASA Rocky Mountain forum; thanks for the reminder.

I'm going to ask some questions once my user ID is approved for posting.

Weston, have you driven Pueblo before? I know its a bigger and longer track than we're used to.

I wonder if I will have the power (and balls) to hit over 135 mph on the front straight . . . I've never had it up much over 110 mph.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope, I'm new to Pueblo too. I was able to get some videos from they guys on Generic, and there's info on the local NASA forum here and video here.

I have hit the top of my 4th gear (105 mph) on the front straight of Second Creek while having to brake a bit early, and Pueblo appears to be right around twice as long (a little over 1/2 mile), with a high speed turn following it (plus I have more brakes now), so I'm expecting pretty good speeds... not that I'd really be able to look down at the speedometer though. Maybe I'll have datalogging going...

I think I'm going to go ahead and leave my long 5th gear in... it will definately cost me some acceleration above 105 mph, and you'll probably rocket by me at that point, but at least I wont run out of gear, and I think it will be a little more healthy for the engine to keep the revs a bit lower...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Weston on Feb/20/06 said:
I have hit the top of my 4th gear (105 mph) on the front straight of Second Creek while having to brake a bit early, and Pueblo appears to be right around twice as long (a little over 1/2 mile), with a high speed turn following it (plus I have more brakes now), so I'm expecting pretty good speeds... not that I'd really be able to look down at the speedometer though. Maybe I'll have datalogging going...
Holy crap, top of 4th at the end of the front straight at 2nd Creek? I was barely into 4th gear in my EG Civic before braking for turn one (maybe 92-93 mph tops).

I have no idea how fast my MR2 will go in 4th . . . I've never pushed it on public roads. All I know is that I've trapped between 106 and 110 mph - well into 4th - in the 1/4 mile.

I think my 225/50-15 Kuhmo Victoracers prob. have nearly the same outer diameter as my current 245/35-17 rear street tires (around 23.8" either way) -

Performance Tire Wholesalers sizing chart

- but I will probably be going to a Kuhmo MX 245/40-17 or Toyo T1-S replacement street tire size, which is about an inch taller. Or maybe even a 255/40-17 (right about 25" tall), but I'm worried about the sidewall rubbing the fender lips.

Not willing to do the math to figure out what difference this will make for top speed.

I'm also hoping the slightly lower actual final drive ratio will help curtail excessive wheelspin in 1st at the dragstrip, hopefully improving my 60 ft slightly, and give me more time in each gear. I think I have enough HP to make the additional tire weight a non-issue.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup... I trap around 102 MPH in the 1/4 mile and have always been pretty close to my 1/4 mile trap speed at the end of the front straight at SCR when on street tires, and a few MPH faster when I'm out there on race rubber.

I guess that's a good indication of my increased exit speed coming out of that last turn... if I'm going 3 or so MPH faster at the end of the straight, then there would be even more of a difference at the beginning.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.