Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, would someone please take the time to explain to me the low pass and high pass settings on amplifiers. For example, I have a sony 5 channel amp. It has 2 high pass filters for the front/back speakers, and the low pass for the sub. They are all rated 50-300 Hz. I know there is no ultimate setting, but what is a "normal" setting I should have it at? I have 10" in the trunk.

The way I understand, HP will only play stuff over a certain point? I have them set at almost the min ~60-80 Hz I guess?

What about LP? It supposed to play stuff under the point? If I set it to the min, which is 50, I get almost not bass. If I put it on 300, I get alot of bass.

Explain this to me please

·
Registered
129 Posts
LP=Low Freq.(Bass) Hp=High Freq.(tweeters). You have the right idea that they'll only play certain frequencies. They idea behind these types of filters is in short like equallizing the sound to your setup. Lets say if you have huge 15" subs and you could barely hear your high range stuff you could adjust the HP to let more High Frequency Pass through to get more sound intensity. This is why when you decreased the LP you could barely hear your Bass. I would just look at it this way unless you want a more in depth explanation with time constants and waveforms and all that stuff.(which i could explain but you need some previous electronice knowledge) Just go with that and you'll be ok. PLay with it just don't "overboost"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the way I have it setup now is HP is at ~80-90 and LP is ~200, sounds pretty good to me. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
129 Posts
What's the min/max settings for both? How many Watts/channels is the AMP? What size subs? I guess I just need some info.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
A low pass filter is also known as a high cut, just as a high pass is known as a low cut. Below are examples of each...

I won't get into heavy explaining on those, but it's like blocking certain frequencies.

If you send the wrong frequencies to a particular speaker, you risk damaging it...big time.

As for your own settings, the wattage shouldn't matter.

Use your ear and tune it yourself. The low pass should be going to your sub...start around 140 Hz and go down from there.

As for your high pass, I'd keep it around 120Hz...but it depends on what your low pass is. You could set them both to 120 Hz.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nice filter diagrams cheezthis. Your right though. That is why I told him not to "overboost". When adjusting any of this you have to take into consideration that you are manually amplifying the output waveforms and if you increase the intensity to much you WILL blow you speakers once you turn the volume up. Just keep the volume down enough to hear the sound variances and be for lack of a better word humble. Don't max them out and expect the speakers to last long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts