Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just might have found the GSR I've been looking for. 94 4 door.Beautiful car. The owner says the engine was replaced about 50,000 miles ago.

Is there anyway aside from a car fax to tell that the engine has indeed been replaced? From what I've gathered, unless it shows up on the carfax, there's no way to tell.

It either has around 50,000 miles or 170,000.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
276 Posts
yup, check the vin on the engine and see if it matches to the car.

·
Administrator
43,019 Posts
Ben.... before dismissing the idea so fast, it is super easy to compare the VIN number on the block (just left of the header) with the VIN number in the bottom driver windshield or on the top of the engine bay firewall..

If those match, then the situation you bring up could be the case, but its certainly not likely enough to dismiss something so easily that takes 10 seconds to do

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had read in other posts that there wasn't a vin # on the block, just the engine # (B18b, B18C,ect).
I've asked for the VIN so whenever he gets it to me, hopefully it'll show up on the carfax. He also had the work done at an Acura Dealership in Pompano Fl so I'm sure they would have documented it.

Thanks for the info though. I didn't know where the # was on the engine (to the left of the header).

Hopefully I'll be down to check it out this weekend (if the carfax is good) and just maybe I'll be drivin my GS-R home ;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
are the vins on the engine though? my engine has no vin numbers on it anywhere and no block code either which makes think that it's hot; however i didn't notice then when i bought the car a couple of years ago.

the vin on the block should be right next to where the block code is at and another place on top of the transmission(underneath the dizzy)

·
Administrator
43,019 Posts
mac_24_seven on Feb/13/06 said:
He also had the work done at an Acura Dealership in Pompano Fl so I'm sure they would have documented it.
That's probably Rick Case Acura if it helps at all

·
Administrator
43,019 Posts
godspeed94 on Feb/13/06 said:
are the vins on the engine though? my engine has no vin numbers on it anywhere and no block code either which makes think that it's hot; however i didn't notice then when i bought the car a couple of years ago.

the vin on the block should be right next to where the block code is at and another place on top of the transmission(underneath the dizzy)
My VIN is on a plate next to the Engine code on the block

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
ricegonejdm on Feb/13/06 said:
Quote: vtec_99 on Feb/13/06vin numbers

no, because, when I had my motor put in, I had the Vin number changed to match my cars, the only way to tell is if u has receipts or something to prove that he had it done
Unless you kept the original block (ie rebuilt it or only swapped the head), that's pretty illegal... It's a felony in most, if not all, states to deface, alter, remove, or change a VIN on a part, or to even possess a part that has had this done.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
MorningZ on Feb/13/06 said:
Quote: godspeed94 on Feb/13/06are the vins on the engine though? my engine has no vin numbers on it anywhere and no block code either which makes think that it's hot; however i didn't notice then when i bought the car a couple of years ago.

My VIN is on a plate next to the Engine code on the block
That's the tranny VIN. The engine VIN is down by the oil pan, behind the exhaust.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
It wasn't the location that changed... they just added more around 1996. The 94-95 models didn't have one on the tranny or the VIN stickers everywhere, iirc.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
godspeed94 on Feb/13/06 said:
well aren't all the VIN on the engine/tranny/firewall/windshield suppose to be the same? that's the point of it

hey, don't forget the trunk, identification placard, and even sometimes owners put it in the owner's manual!

identification placard

~P2P

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I asked him what exactly happened over the phone, because he told me through IM and I just wanted a lil further clarification because e was kinda vauge (not wanting to type everything)

He said around 120,000 miles the engine hydrolocked: or so he thinks. It was raining really bad when the engine siezed and he had a CAI. But, around that time, he had head work done so he is unsure if it just hydrolocked or if it dropped a valve.

Regardless, it busted the block and screwed the head, so he bought a rebuilt longblock from and had it installed by the Acura dealer.

And I sure do appreciate all the posts and info on this. Thanks for not flaming me.

He just IM'd me alil bit ago and said he'd send me the VIN shortly, so this should tell me everything I need to know.When I get it checked out, I'll letcha know what I turn up.

And just so you knwo what I'm lookin at and hoping for, here's a couple pics. :)

The GS-R emblem is at the base of the hood

And the only thing marring this very nice car:

Hope ya like!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.