Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 gsr. my goal is 250whp safely on stock internals. from what ive heard I will probably use chrome. this will be a daily driver, and I want my powerband to be high end like 6-8k... something along the stock feel, with the boost kicking in at about the vtec engagement. this is a setup that i have been offered for $2000 firm:

precision sc61
precision intercooler
drag turbo manifold
drag deltagate wastegate with 8lbs
drag downpipe 2.5"
drag dumptube
drag polish intercooler piping
HKS SSQ blow off vavle
HKS boost guage
Autometer water guage
Autometer A/F guage
FAST oil feed/return
440RC injectors
Tapped GSR oil pan
Includeds all hoses/wires/clamps for (boost guage/BOV/AF guage/Water Guage)

The turbo has no shaft play or bent fins and the boost doesnt spike or creep, and everything is said to be in prestine condition since it was his 2nd turbo kit. he says the kit is for all b series motors so would it bolt right up? Does anyone know what a HKS bov sounds like on a boosted b series? what other things would I have to buy, and how much do they each cost? the only things i can think of off the top of my head are:

cat
exhaust (would 2.5" work? it work up to 300whp right?)
lsd (should i get quaife or itr?)
fuel pump
suspension (springs, shocks, camber kit) - is this necessary? what if i just get a comptech tie/sway bar?
new clutch/flywheel
edit: turbo timer
edit: boost controller
edit: guage pod

I want to spend as little as money as possible and have it reliable at 250whp. let me know about all your input guys! thanks!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Finally! Someone properly asked the question. I believe this setup would allow you to reach your goals, and it should be quite the ride.

-I would ditch the 2.5" downpipe and get a 3", and a 3" Thermal catback.

-OBX Helical LSD's are great, they're pretty much a Quaife without the price. OBX may be an iffy company, but they got this LSD right.

-Walboro 250lph fuel pump. Enough said.

-Suspension-wise, get coilovers. They're designed for performance as opposed to springs, which are generally made for that "image". Try making sharp turns going fast on springs and coilovers. Get D2 coilovers, they're the best.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Im pretty sure you will make over 250whp with an sc61 at 8 lbs. Also, you should ask the previous seller what exhaust he used to have, to not have the boost creep. With a very free flowing exhaust Im pretty sure the boost will creep with that manifold. Are you trying to keep A/C? I think Phil at Spoolin Performance can make you a 3in DP for AC, but if not the 2.5 will be fine. Yeah the 2.5 exhaust will also be good but, if you want earlier spool then look into a 3in system from KTeller. An LSD isnt required but is always good to have. A walbro 255 is a good piece to buy.

Suspension wise what are you looking for? To the guy a couple posts above me, springs are fine for corners. Nuespeed and H&R race have pretty high spring rates. Also, in what way are D2 coilovers the best?

Also ask the seller what car he had the kit on. Because yes, the exhaust manifold will bolt up to the head, but the concern with the different fittings is the intake manifold placement between the GSR and the LS/Type R. Look into it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gah i keep thinking of more things to say, so much editing! anyways...

can anyone vouch for the obx lsd actually being good? this kinda sounds unreal to me o.0

thanks everyone for the responses, keep em comin!! yes i want to have good turning so ill look into the d2's. i also proabbly want to keep the ac, if possible.. and the ps, just so i got some creature comforts on my car.

so from what i hear, 3" exhaust and downpipe will make it spool faster? where will i expect the turbo to be spooled up and "boosting"? would it be around 4.4k rpm? i wouldnt really mind if it spooled later with a 2.5" exhaust if that is the only drawback ;)

also i would like what other parts i will need on top of what i have stated and any other suggestions!!!

edit: from what ive read, the greddy kit gives 230whp give or take, with a good tune on stock internals. i got an offer from someone with a greddy turbo only used 900 miles (as so he states) on his 98 gsr. comes with everything in kit + ic, ic piping, and xs bov. what u guys think of this?

·
Registered
676 Posts
D2 coilovers are quite possibly the best deal out there. They are ~$700(depends on where you go) and they give you all the adjusting tools as the HKS/Apex'i/___ for about half the price. Numerous shops have compared these to Omnipower and Omnipower don't last a quarter as long as D2s. A local shop torture tested D2s on an E36 Bimmer and a Civic hatch(I think EK) and they COULD NOT damage them, no matter how hard they ragged on them over the course of 2 months.

D2 coilovers/lower control arms/whatever are the best you can get for under $2k.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok fine lol ill rephrase... my goal is 250-300whp, anything within that range, 250 being the minimum

got new info on it:
it was used on a 99 civic with a LS motor in it B18B. it has been used for about a year. he had the drag kit then upgraded it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
inttegra on Jan/28/06 said:
so from what i hear, 3" exhaust and downpipe will make it spool faster? where will i expect the turbo to be spooled up and "boosting"? would it be around 4.4k rpm? i wouldnt really mind if it spooled later with a 2.5" exhaust if that is the only drawback ;)
I keep on hearing people ask this. When the turbo spools is dependent on rpm and throttle. For example: Lets say you want it to not start spooling until 4400 rpm @ WOT. Isn't the reason why you go WOT, so that you can go FAST? I would say it would be ideal to have instant spool @WOT (all other things aside).

In another post someone said they wanted boost to come on later/slower due to traction issues. Thats what the throttle is for!!

Keep in mind that with a large turbo like your suggesting, the turbo is almost non-existent on the street. Basically, your car won't feel fast unless you really get on it.

But with respect to your original post. If you buy this setup you can always change out the turbo in the future. Buying the kit will at least give you a taste of how sweet FI is. As far as the pricetag goes...there are cheaper routes. I would try bargaining with him.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Chuck Dean on Jan/29/06 said:
Quote: inttegra on Jan/28/06so from what i hear, 3" exhaust and downpipe will make it spool faster? where will i expect the turbo to be spooled up and "boosting"? would it be around 4.4k rpm? i wouldnt really mind if it spooled later with a 2.5" exhaust if that is the only drawback ;)

I keep on hearing people ask this. When the turbo spools is dependent on rpm and throttle. For example: Lets say you want it to not start spooling until 4400 rpm @ WOT. Isn't the reason why you go WOT, so that you can go FAST? I would say it would be ideal to have instant spool @WOT (all other things aside).

In another post someone said they wanted boost to come on later/slower due to traction issues. Thats what the throttle is for!!

Keep in mind that with a large turbo like your suggesting, the turbo is almost non-existent on the street. Basically, your car won't feel fast unless you really get on it.

But with respect to your original post. If you buy this setup you can always change out the turbo in the future. Buying the kit will at least give you a taste of how sweet FI is. As far as the pricetag goes...there are cheaper routes. I would try bargaining with him.
I agree on the price. Im going to amend my previous post b/c on h-t kits like this sell for much less. Sorry about the confusion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.