Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some background info: On my 94 LS (daily), I had a TD55 distributor giving me some idling issues and throwing a CEL 9, but generally ran fine otherwise (drove it for like a year like this) . Eventually replaced it with an ebay distributor which corrected the CEL and idling issues, until one day it just died while idling (which never happened with the old one) leaving me stranded (no spark, no start).

After getting the car home, I threw the old distributor on and the car runs consistently, but the CEL and idling issues returned as expected.

Not sure what caused my new distributor to die, but I suspect the coil burnt out possibly due to bad plug wires (which were causing engine hesitation which was resolved after replacing the wires which was after putting the old distributor back on the car) or maybe just the fact it was a low quality ebay product.

I'm looking to combine the working parts to make a reliable working distributor with no CEL or idle issues.

What is the best way to test an ignition coil?

·
Registered
158 Posts

bad coil and icm will both bite you on the ass eventually so i always carry spares plus needed tools to change them out. the universe favors the prepared mind. 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

bad coil and icm will both bite you on the ass eventually so i always carry spares plus needed tools to change them out. the universe favors the prepared mind. 8)
Much appreciated, That seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

I have gotten into the habit of keeping some basics such as fuses and a basic toolbag just in case of electrical issues, will add those to the kit.

Thankfully, even though the distributors are different for my car (which I can never find at my parts place) I believe they share the same coil with several other more popular models. Will check to see if that is the case for the ICM as well and will go pull some (hopefully OEM) spares or might just order some.

·
Registered
158 Posts
the genuine honda coil made by tec is the way to go if you have the bucks:

for icm i went with wve from rockauto, good for about 30k miles:

here's a good guide for quality parts:

·
Registered
12 Posts
For some background info: On my 94 LS (daily), I had a TD55 distributor giving me some idling issues and throwing a CEL 9, but generally ran fine otherwise (drove it for like a year like this) . Eventually replaced it with an ebay distributor which corrected the CEL and idling issues, until one day it just died while idling (which never happened with the old one) leaving me stranded (no spark, no start).

After getting the car home, I threw the old distributor on and the car runs consistently, but the CEL and idling issues returned as expected.

Not sure what caused my new distributor to die, but I suspect the coil burnt out possibly due to bad plug wires (which were causing engine hesitation which was resolved after replacing the wires which was after putting the old distributor back on the car) or maybe just the fact it was a low quality ebay product.

I'm looking to combine the working parts to make a reliable working distributor with no CEL or idle issues.

What is the best way to test an ignition coil?
sorry if this is too late.... What I do connect a spark plug wire long. Get a old spark plug, use a long wire, bring it to the wind shield so you can see the plug fire or not fire. fast test.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry if this is too late.... What I do connect a spark plug wire long. Get a old spark plug, use a long wire, bring it to the wind shield so you can see the plug fire or not fire. try to start motor. fast test.

·
Registered
158 Posts
use a high energy ignition spark tester like this:

other methods using a sparkplug or screwdriver can result in a blown ignition coil.
spend 10 bucks so you dont have to spend a lot more.
or just swap in a spare coil or icm since you will need them eventually...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry if this is too late.... What I do connect a spark plug wire long. Get a old spark plug, use a long wire, bring it to the wind shield so you can see the plug fire or not fire. try to start motor. fast test.
Thanks, I do that too to test if I'm getting spark in general, but was specifically looking for a test for the coil itself since it could be possible that another component of the distributor could fail resulting in no spark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts