Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know they say take out the spark plug and connect to ground .......but i need more detail so i dont screw up my car more than it already is..

btw my car cranks but no start...

so do i take out all my spark plugs to test them at the same time...just take out one at a time...do i just hold the sparking end to my valve cover while turning the key?

etc..

can some one please explain.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
pull it out, hold it in your hand and turn it over. if it hurts real bad, you have spark.

totally kidding.

at any auto parts store they have an inexpensive tool you can use to test for spark. one end of it connects to solid ground, while the other end plugs into the spark plug boot. the tool is adjustable to size it to, or at least near your plug gap. when you turn the car over, you will be able to see spark in the gap

·
Registered
930 Posts
henhen on Sep/13/07 said:
ok i know they say take out the spark plug and connect to ground .......but i need more detail so i dont screw up my car more than it already is..

btw my car cranks but no start...

so do i take out all my spark plugs to test them at the same time...just take out one at a time...do i just hold the sparking end to my valve cover while turning the key?

etc..

can some one please explain.
Doing so can fry the ignitor so I would not recommend trying this. Check this Article out on how to troubleshoot your ignition

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
mrmad on Sep/13/07 said:
Doing so can fry the ignitor so I would not recommend trying this. Check this Article out on how to troubleshoot your ignition
Well, not exactly. As long as you have the spark plug body grounded well to the engine block or chassis that is considered *normal operation* as far as the ignition components can tell.

Its when you DoNT ground the spark plug body (cranking with no spark plug attached, or a spark plug not touching the engine) that you kill the COIL (not the ignitor).

·
Registered
930 Posts
MeltMan on Sep/13/07 said:
Quote: mrmad on Sep/13/07Doing so can fry the ignitor so I would not recommend trying this. Check this Article out on how to troubleshoot your ignition

Well, not exactly. As long as you have the spark plug body grounded well to the engine block or chassis that is considered *normal operation* as far as the ignition components can tell.

Its when you DoNT ground the spark plug body (cranking with no spark plug attached, or a spark plug not touching the engine) that you kill the COIL (not the ignitor).

Thanks for clearing that up Casey. I new there was a risk there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
SFrymyah on Sep/13/07 said:
pull it out, hold it in your hand and turn it over. if it hurts real bad, you have spark.

totally kidding.

at any auto parts store they have an inexpensive tool you can use to test for spark. one end of it connects to solid ground, while the other end plugs into the spark plug boot. the tool is adjustable to size it to, or at least near your plug gap. when you turn the car over, you will be able to see spark in the gap
Here's a tool that can help you for $1.99

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice...

i already took a look at the article about testing the ignition and will probably do that this weekend....

first i just want to see if i have spark...

im going to old the spark plugs near to a good ground but , tell me....i guess i pull one at a time to test right?

pull and test...replace then pull the other one and test...etc..?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.