Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Integra LS has 206k miles on it. The CEL is on(random misfire) and its running rough. My mechanic says its got low compression on one of the cylinders so it'll cost some $$ to fix. Either a full valve job or an engine swap.

I don't want to put the money into it and would rather sell it. Problem is that in California, the seller is required to smog it before selling. With the CEL on and the car not running right, it won't pass smog.

How can I sell it without smog?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thats kinda rough. I guess you could weight out how much it would cost to fix it versus how much you would get. If you have some mechanical skills you could swap the motor out for another b18 for around a grand. Or you could try and smog it and hopefully get lucky and have it pass.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I would check with the DMV, but I believe you can sell it "as is". I would also double check to make sure your mechanic is right as ignition problems can cause the CEL as well. As other have stated, you are going to take a beating in the selling price in its current condition and if it is a relatively cheap fix, it might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already know it won't pass. The CEL light is on, it burns oil and its running rough.

I don't want to fix it, I would rather sell it. Someone out there has to want an LS so they can do a motor swap or something.The car does not look like it has 206k miles on it, it's in pretty good condition. I would hate to scrap the car because it still has some life in it. I just want to know the best, legal way to sell it.

Here's some pics
http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee154/leej23/?action=view&current=integra.jpg

·
Registered
565 Posts
my buddy sold his sr20 240 that didnt pass smog here in cali but made the buyer sign a paper saying he understood the car was sold as-is and wouldnt pass smog and had no problems

·
Registered
293 Posts
Really? it has to pass smog before you sell it? How come i see inetrgras and civics being sold on craigs list all the time with B20's? They even have it written there that the buyer is responsible for smog.

·
Registered
815 Posts
the seller didnt smog it for me when i bought the car. we signed a contract where i had to smog it, and hed reimburse me 80 dollars and if it didnt pass smog then he would pay w/e money needed to make it legal. my car passed smog and didnt have any problems

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm 90% sure that if me and the seller sign a doc saying that its understood that it does not pass smog and its the buyer's responsibility. I'm afraid of the 10% chance that someone comes back a few months later saying they want their money back because it doesn't pass. From the DMV website, it states that its the seller's responsibility and if I don't provide a smog cert, they recommend small claims court to recover the cost :(

I'm just looking to protect myself. My backup plan is to register it as a Planned Non Op. In that case, no smog cert is needed to sell but then its no longer legal to park it on the street.

DMV website-
Q: Who is responsible for obtaining a Smog Check when a vehicle is sold?

A: Section 24007 (b)(2) of the Vehicle Code states it is the responsibility of the seller to provide a valid smog certificate at the time of delivery of the vehicle. There is no provision in the law to sell a vehicle "as is."
Q: I just purchased a vehicle and the seller did not provide a Smog Check. The vehicle needs expensive repairs in order to pass. What should I do?

A: Go back to the seller, inform them about Vehicle Code section 24007 (b)(2), and try to work things out amicably. If that fails, you have the option to pay for the repairs and the Smog Check yourself, and then take the seller to Small Claims Court to recover your costs. Although the law clearly supports the buyer, collecting on a small claims judgment can be difficult, so the amicable solution is usually best. If the seller is a state-licensed auto dealer, buyers have the additional option of filing a complaint with the DMV, which regulates new- and used-car dealers.

·
Registered
512 Posts
i work on a car lot and it is required by ca state law that a car has to pass smog within 90 days of sell date. if you put it in the contract that you sold it as is and the car is not smog then you will be screwed the contract will be voided. the buyer could completely trash your car and then they can come back and get all there money back and you would have a worthless car.

inttegra:
what you did was not in the right but since everything went well i guess its ok.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Where do you live, you could trade it in for another car or sell it to dealer like carmax. They buy anything as long as you can drive it there and show proof of ownership (title or lien).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.